Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tire help

5 posters

Go down

tire help Empty tire help

Post  daves1300s Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Hello, Just found and registered today. I am in NC and we have to have a yearly safety inspection so of course my front tire will not pass. So I ordered a new front but have been planning for some time to go dark on the rear when the time came. It ain't gonna be much longer. So questions are what size works well and what is the best way to mount/balance? I ride a 2006 1300S so you will not be able to see hardly any of the tire with the saddle bags mounted. I will be changing the front to a Metzler 880. I ride most days but don't get to ride alot of miles, only live 5 miles from work. Managed 6700+ in the first year. Anyway thanks in advance and I fully expect to really love the Darkside. Very Happy Very Happy

Dave

daves1300s

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

tire help Empty Re: tire help

Post  jedishon Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:11 pm

Dave, welcome to the site....I think most of the riders with the S model have been sealing the spokes and going tubeless....this link has a lot of info in it... https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/vtx-1300-tech-f11/twin-s-wideside-mod205-on-a-stock-rim-t220.htm ....I am sure someone with an S will be here to help out on the sealing issue....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:12 pm

Dave, welcome aboard!
Heres a link that might help. Tons of info and pictures to get you started.

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/pictures-f1/ds-ws-tread-by-bike-model-pics-comments-mar10-t607.htm

Welcome to the Madness,
Muntz
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:50 pm

If your interested in sealing rims, I gave it a bump so new guys can find it easy.
Go to 1300 tech

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

tire help Empty tire recommendations

Post  daves1300s Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:46 pm

Thanks for the replies so far. On to the next question. I read somewhere, can't remember if here or on vtxoa, that some would recommend starting out on the darkside with a 165 instead of a 205. Any opinions, advice . . . . whatever? 2006 1300S

Thanks,
Dave

daves1300s

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:06 pm

Have not heard anything like that. Just know that if you do go 205 it will definately be a different ride. The 165 is pretty close to stock size and don't act much different than a mc tire. With the 205 you will get more feedback from the road than you are used to. It will take a little getting used to.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

tire help Empty Here I go. . .

Post  daves1300s Thu May 01, 2008 10:02 pm

Ok, put the bike on the stand and took both wheels off. They are now laying in the truck along with the new Metzler for the front. I plan to pick up a Bridgstone Potenza G019 P205/65R15 92H, found a friend who gets a Firestone discount and since this tire is sold at Firestone store I'll try for that discount too. Found a local shop willing to mount it if I have problems with that part. I'll be out of town for the weekend, 30th anniversary, so I'll be putting everything back together the middle of next week. If anybody can think of any other issues I should look at while the bike is in pieces give me a yell. I have been lurking, reading and planning for most of the last year so here I go. Very Happy Very Happy

Dave

daves1300s

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Thu May 01, 2008 10:31 pm

daves1300s wrote:Ok, put the bike on the stand and took both wheels off. They are now laying in the truck along with the new Metzler for the front. I plan to pick up a Bridgstone Potenza G019 P205/65R15 92H, found a friend who gets a Firestone discount and since this tire is sold at Firestone store I'll try for that discount too. Found a local shop willing to mount it if I have problems with that part. I'll be out of town for the weekend, 30th anniversary, so I'll be putting everything back together the middle of next week. If anybody can think of any other issues I should look at while the bike is in pieces give me a yell. I have been lurking, reading and planning for most of the last year so here I go. Very Happy Very Happy

Dave

While you have it all apart check your bearings real good and also don't forget to put fresh moly 60 paste on your rear splines. Good time also to check the brake pads and replace if needed. Lube both shafts when you go back together with it. moly works there too.

Enjoy the ride
See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content