Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

which tire to start out on?

3 posters

Go down

which tire to start out on? Empty which tire to start out on?

Post  Rooster Jr. Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:16 pm

So after looking at the local walmart here and not finding the Douglas Xtra Trac A/W because it is discontinued and they have teh Douglas Xtra Tac II in the same size just a little different pattern, but the tire looks wider. I called over to the next walmart 100 miles away and they have 1 A/W. I was wondering is it worth the gas money to drive down and get it or should I order the grabber with shipping would come out to be about the same. I did see a Douglas 205 70 R15 AW there but I'm not sure about how all the numbers work and if that one would be too tall. I'm sure someone can chime in on that one. But since riding nothing but mc tires I'm wondering if I would have a hard time with the grabber being the first darkside tire or should I try for the Douglas. Thanks all, love this site too.
Rooster Jr.
Rooster Jr.

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

which tire to start out on? Empty Re: which tire to start out on?

Post  twin1300 Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:40 pm

Rooster Jr. wrote:So after looking at the local walmart here and not finding the Douglas Xtra Trac A/W because it is discontinued and they have teh Douglas Xtra Tac II in the same size just a little different pattern, but the tire looks wider. I called over to the next walmart 100 miles away and they have 1 A/W. I was wondering is it worth the gas money to drive down and get it or should I order the grabber with shipping would come out to be about the same. I did see a Douglas 205 70 R15 AW there but I'm not sure about how all the numbers work and if that one would be too tall. I'm sure someone can chime in on that one. But since riding nothing but mc tires I'm wondering if I would have a hard time with the grabber being the first darkside tire or should I try for the Douglas. Thanks all, love this site too.

RoosterJr,

The Grabber is a 70 series also. So, they should be the same as far as handling and ride. The only difference is the Grabber is uni-directional, and the Douglas is non-direcional. Other than that, they should ride and handle the same. It should be a personal preference to what you want. The 70 series is taller than you stock mc tire, and the 65 series like my Douglas is the same size.

Darkside is more mental than it is a learning curve. You just need to get used to having grip for the first time on your motorcycle. The darkside is so good. Let us know what you decide to do?

.....................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:07 pm

The grabber turns in just fine and raises the bike a little to make for more clearance in turns. With the rounded profile motorcycle tires I was leaning so far as to even scrape my frame!!! Now I rarely even scrape pegs in the same turns at the same speeds due to the increase in cornereing clearance.

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down