Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going to the darkside got some questions

+4
nodakbassmaster
easygoer
smokey2255
jimmyh
8 posters

Go down

Going to the darkside got some questions Empty Going to the darkside got some questions

Post  jimmyh Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:21 am

I've got an 05 1800R3 and I'm looking at the Falken Ziex ZE-512 205/60-16 is this a good tire, will it fit without modding anything, will it wobble at higher speeds and what is the foots mod? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!!
jimmyh
jimmyh

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Going to the darkside got some questions Empty Re: Going to the darkside got some questions

Post  smokey2255 Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:15 am

Hey

First off the foots mod is a 1300 thing. It is putting a 1800 wheel rotor and caliper on a 1300. Basically a cheap wide tire kit.

Most tires will not cause a wobble at high speeds. The 1300 have a notorious issue with our steering head bearings that cause a wobble at low speeds, Installing 1800 bearings and races fixes this for us. Most rear end caused wobbles are due to worn out shock bushings. A cheap fix to replace with teflon or another long wear material..
I put well over 10,000 miles on my darkside tire after I changed my shock bushings and had no high speed wobble issues. My bike sees triple digits every day I ride. I get on the interstate and run wot the whole 22 miles I am on it traffic permitting.
I did also switch over to Dyna beads after a couple thousand miles too. I switched mainly just to try them.

Any more questions come on back with them. More than willing to help.
I am sure more peeps will be along shortly to give you their version.

Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Going to the darkside got some questions Empty Re: Going to the darkside got some questions

Post  easygoer Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:32 pm

Can't help with any mod issues, but I have this same tire (and same size) on my Valkyrie. I love it (smokin' joe calls it a "grandma's buick" tire Razz). It works great for my easy riding style. I live/ride in Florida (straight/flat roads mainly). Joe lives/rides in the Smoky Mts. Riding style and location have alot to do with tire choice. I'm on my second Falken in fact. Got 41K out of the first one.

Haven't had any wobble issues, or any really. Started out with 40 lbs air but have reduced that down to 32-35 range. Only issue I see with any car tire is too much air pressure (over 40, but depends on other issues too) and the center will wear out prematurely.

(Love ya Joe!) Wink

Paul

Going to the darkside got some questions Rearlook2

easygoer

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:00 pm

Just FYI, there were a lot of guys reporting high speed wobbles due to a couple different Falken tire models on the 1800's.....
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  battoo Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:55 am

i have not run the tire in question but i can say the toyo tire has no issues with wobble what so ever , i have been up to 130 and change
battoo
battoo

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:06 am

battoo wrote:i have not run the tire in question but i can say the toyo tire has no issues with wobble what so ever , i have been up to 130 and change

My twin brother has the Toyo Proxes 4 on his wing.........he is on his second one with no wobble issues.

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel Meyer Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:26 am

In my experience, it's the tires that are not speed rated V or above that can cause wobble...they don't hold their shape correctly at the high speeds is my guess. That said, I'm currently on the Goodyear Asurance Triple Tread, which is H rated and does not have any wobble issues.

Also, I should point out...for the most part, there's a problem with the bike if it has a wobble or swim...the tire is just making it worse.
Daniel Meyer
Daniel Meyer

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-12-25

http://lifeisaroad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:28 am

That Triple Tread is a good tire!! It gets the thumbs up from everyone! Cool
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604

Back to top Go down

Post  Warlock Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:28 pm

jimmyh wrote:I've got an 05 1800R3 and I'm looking at the Falken Ziex ZE-512 205/60-16 is this a good tire, will it fit without modding anything, will it wobble at higher speeds and what is the foots mod? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!!
I was running that tire and was having a high speed wobble on my Valkyrie. I'm running the Cooper Zeon with no issue with this tire. I've heard the Toyo T1R is better than the Cooper and with no woble issue. The Toyo will be the next tire I run.
David

Warlock

Number of posts : 35

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down