Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did I get a bad tire

3 posters

Go down

Did I get a bad tire Empty Did I get a bad tire

Post  Trackman Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:27 am

Hi folks. My first post here and I have a question.

I have been running darkside for 10,000 miles. The front tire wore out. So I decided to buy a tire recommended to work well with the CT on the back.
That tire is a Michelin Active Rear mounted on the front. It works very well. But it has a vibration. Actually more like a buzz, that is felt in the bars.
The tire balanced nicely with a 1/2 oz of weight. I had it mounted in reverse, then switched it to forward rotation. But made no difference.
The buzz feeling is at all speeds. At first I thought it wasn't a higher speed. But it is there just a lot less.
But in the 35-45mph area it is the most intense.

When I check for the buzz, I run up to 70mph and pull in the clutch.
At 70 it is almost smooth. As the speed drops the buzz is more intense and is the worse at 40mph.

This is a bias ply tire and I am wondering if that is why.
When I google this problem, I find others with exactly the same complaint.
Yet a lot of people are using this tire as their double darkside.
The size of the tire is 130-70-18.

Anyone else have this happen.

Any recommendations for a long lasting front tire that works well with the CT on the rear?

Trackman

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-09-11

Back to top Go down

Did I get a bad tire Empty Re: Did I get a bad tire

Post  Metalman Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:34 pm

I have heard the same problem with those using the Bridgestone BT-45 on the front of the Gold Wings. I am running them on the front of my 1500 and 1800 Wings and there is no buzz. Perhaps the problem is that the tires are stiffer, so vibrations are not absorbed by the suspension but are transferred to the front end. Have you reduced the pressure in your tire?

Metalman

Number of posts : 57
Location : Hernando Beach, FL (winter); Rineyville, KY (summer)
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  rrounds Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:50 pm

I'm running the BT45-V(rear) on the front of my VT1100-T and it's the smoothest front tire I've had on my bike in the 13 years I've owned it.
Could be the BT45-V rides different than the BT45? They don't make a BT45-V in the 130/70-18 size but they do make a 140/70-18 and if it fits would be around 1/2" taller than the stock size tire.

ROD

rrounds

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down