Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

i am offically a dark sider

+2
smokey2255
Sir Charles
6 posters

Go down

i am offically a dark sider Empty i am offically a dark sider

Post  Sir Charles Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:28 pm

Good Evening dark siders

i just finish the installation of my new "Eagle Gt 195.55.16 tire today while i was at it i replaced the brake pads as well.
well i rode only 2 miles soon as i pulled out of the drive way it started raining i would have kept going but i did not have rain gear, and the truth be told i did not want to get wet!!!! Smile
i was going to let the local shop install, but they really gave me a rash, we're going to have too pull your pipes of, remove your hitch, and this and that, so picked up my tire this morning and did it myself. the only thing i had to do is lift the bike high enough, let the air out the tire (optional) and that was it.... outside of replacing brakes pad and the time it took to safely lift and brace the bike the job was about 30 mins.
the two miles i rode well it was different i can feel the bike when you get on edge the tire feels like it wants to right itself... but the stopping power is there as so many of you stated. i am riding with 40 psi if you know different please inform me.
i forgot to mention the tire i installed the thread patteren is not the same from center to left, and from center to right.. do anyone feel this will be a problem? please let me know.....

well i am tired i had along day, i also replaced my low beam head light; the do it yourself CD'S are a BIG HELP!!!!

i'll chime back in after i take a nice longer ride!!

thanks for all the help and info i am so glad i found this site!!!!

God Speed!
Sir Charles
Sir Charles

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

i am offically a dark sider Empty Re: i am offically a dark sider

Post  smokey2255 Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:39 am

Congrats and welcome to the club. Be sure to scrub the tire in before you get too aggressive with it. Is that tire a run flat?.
Tread pattern does not make much difference on them. As you stated, you're not a rain rider Smile ...when you do get caught in the wet stuff you will appreciate the tire even more.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Charles Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:15 am

good morning

No sir it's not a fun flat. when i researched the tire i thought the patteren was the same it did not dawn on me until the tire was mounted;
man o live ; do i ride in the rain!!!! lol lol lol just not yesterday i really did not want to get a soaking so close to home... lol lol i ride all year round that was really one of the reasons for the dark side.
i'll post more info as i ride again thanks for all the help and advise!!!

Gods Speed!!
Sir Charles
Sir Charles

Back to top Go down

i am offically a dark sider Empty DARKSIDE

Post  ESKIMO Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:03 pm

WHAT IS HAPPENING???? ARE YOU AFRAID OF FLOATING OR MELTING?????? HEHEHEHEHE.....I'M SORT OF IN THE SAME BOAT... DONT LIKE PURPOSILLY RIDING IN THE RAIN (EXCEPT PATRIOT GUARD MISSIONS) BUT WILL DO IT IF I GET CAUGHT WITH LIQUID SUNSHINE.......30,000 MILES DARKSIDE UNDER BELT..JUST WISHED I HAD DONE IT SOONER......PLAY WITH THE TIRE PRESSURE 2psi AT A TIME TILL YOU FIND YOUR SWEET SPOT FOR YOUR STYLE OF RIDING AND SCRUB THE TIRE A COUPLE HUNDRED MILES BEFORE YOU RIDE TOO AGRESSIVELY.........CONGRATS.....1800f2/toyo proxie/t1r 215/45zr/18.....ESKIMO

ESKIMO

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Charles Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:40 pm

hey ESKIMO

what tpye of bike do you ride? and what size tire did u use?
someone tell me if i'm wrong my goldwing seems to sit lower!!! hhhmmmm
did the 195.55.16 take away height?
if i beef up my setting would that help?

Thanks!
Sir Charles
Sir Charles

Back to top Go down

i am offically a dark sider Empty DARKSIDE

Post  ESKIMO Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:22 pm

SIR CHARLES to answer your question...i ride a 05 vtx 1800f2.. my ct is a toyo proxie t1r 215/45zr/18....the f model has 18inch rear wheel....stock mc tire....180/55/18...tried several dunlops and metzlers...5 mc tires in 38,000 miles.. 1st ct had a flat at 15,000 miles...had to change out due to the sidewall puncture...in those 15,000 miles used less than 3/32inch of the orginal tread....still had more tread left on tire than most m/c tires start with.....now have 30,000 miles between the two ct and no plans on ever go back.....now..after you get confortable with the ct just go and try wear that sucker out..ESKIMO

ESKIMO

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Back to top Go down

i am offically a dark sider Empty update

Post  Sir Charles Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:22 am

good moring

i went for a nice long ride yesterday after work man-o-live the traction=awsome, the braking = wow i feel i now have brakes
the con to the tire is this: it feels a little bit bumpier than it use too, i'm running 40lbs psi my setting is 10 for my one up riding and if the tire gets into a groove it tends to want to stay.
i did some cornering, and tight curves once you get into the curve it sticks, when you roll out of it it feels like it wants to upright itself.
i think i'm in it for the long haul, i now want to do the same for my yamaha venture. so look for me to start asking questions about the set up!

as always thanks

Gods Speed!
Sir Charles
Sir Charles

Back to top Go down

i am offically a dark sider Empty re update

Post  Larry Simpson Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:11 am

Try dropping your air pressure down around 34-36 and it shouldn't follow the grooves as bad maby not at all thumbup thumbup
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

i am offically a dark sider Empty Over 2000 miles on the DarkSide

Post  Sir Charles Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:27 am

GOOD MORNING ALL!!!!!!!!

Ok; i have my report, i just made it back from Daytona Bike week the trip was wonderful the weather was great not a rain cloud in site, i posted 1159 miles on the dark side!!!!!!!
Man-o-Live you can feel the grip of the tire holding the road and yes i found it also be true that you really do feel your braking power when you apply the rear breaks. i felt very comforable riding the dark side, so all was a plus.
now here is the only draw back i have; when in curves it becomes somewhat difficult to keep your lean, i find myslef really holding the bike forcefully in the curve but it do stick!!! ive dropped the psi from 40 to 39. any suggestions!
while in daytona i had a fork brace installed... also i'm thinking of going to steel v shaped collar bearings, and progressive fork springs, needing your input as well...
are there any other adjustments you darksiders think i should make.
i value you input.
O
I MUST SAY THIS AS WELL while there mr. romney did a campain speech that locked down the entire street 1A1 Hwy near Main Street and the hotel my friends where living, they could not go back to their rooms until it was over, ok when viewing on tv u can either turn the channel or turn the tv off well we had no option. i think this was very bad and wrong for this to take place during bike week!
my 2 cent$

Thanks!

"Sir Charles" Out!
Sir Charles
Sir Charles

Back to top Go down

i am offically a dark sider Empty re over 2000 miles on the darkside

Post  Larry Simpson Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:21 am

Drop ypur pressure another 3 or 4 lbs. ,it will lean easier and be less responsive to uneven surfaces.It could have been worse ,you might have been forced to watch oslama thumbup thumbup
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  CaribCruiser Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:56 pm

Welcome and as it seems you really enjoy the better ride. I agree with Larry, drop the pressure a bit more,
but it's different for each of us.
I went to Daytona as well, but came in after Romney cleared my path, lol.
You're not the only one complaining that this was not the right place to be at that time.
Ride safe, enjoy the weekend.
Robert.
CaribCruiser
CaribCruiser

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

i am offically a dark sider Empty Positive Report

Post  Sir Charles Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:29 pm

Good afternoon and Happy Holidays to you all!!!

I must report; in the last post i was asking what about the psi... should be running and someone suggested that keep adjusting and I find my sweet spot. well that i did and took off early one morning for Mississippi, and New Orlens for my B-Day i ran 36 psi and it was in-deed sweet, i had no road tracking problems( wanting to stay in a road groove) no coming out of a curve (wanting to stand up is a curve) it was very sweeet i did oneup riding plus i was able to tow my escapade trailer for the first time with some mileage... again did i mention the word "SWEET" so yes; you are right u must find ur own amount of psi and it will do as you all have said ride like a dream!!!!!

I started at 40 psi i am now locked in at 36...

My venture is next!!!!!!

God Bless!
Sir Charles
Sir Charles

Back to top Go down

Post  CaribCruiser Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:42 pm

Thx. for the update. Enjoy it, it's always nice to find the sweet spot. Razz
CaribCruiser
CaribCruiser