Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MOVING TO THE DARKSIDE--VTX 1800 RETRO--TOYO PROXY TIRES?

+2
twin1300
ShortShifter
6 posters

Go down

MOVING TO THE DARKSIDE--VTX 1800 RETRO--TOYO PROXY TIRES? Empty MOVING TO THE DARKSIDE--VTX 1800 RETRO--TOYO PROXY TIRES?

Post  ShortShifter Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:33 pm

HI ALL I'M NEW ON THE BOARD. i DECIDED TO MOVE TO THE DARKSIDE AND NEED TIRES. FIGURE METZ 880 ON THE FRONT AND TOYO PROXY TR 1 ON THE BACK WITH EXTRA SIPING? I RIDE THE VTX 1800 RETRO 2 UP BAGS LOADED, PACK ON THE BACK, AND TOW A LOADED TRAILER WITH EXTERNAL "HITCH DOC" HITCH. I'M HAULIN'. LOOKING FOR THE BEST TIRE TO TAKE INTO A CURVE WITHOUT GOING DOWN. ALSO WOULD LIKE TO MINIMIZE THE TIRE TRACKING ON BAD PAVEMENT AND STEEL BRIDGE GRATES. I REALLY DON'T WANT TO GRIND THE FENDER RAIL IF I CAN GET AWAY WITH IT. THINKING THE TOYO PROXY TR 1 OR ?
I APPRECIATE THE HELP

ShortShifter

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Back to top Go down

MOVING TO THE DARKSIDE--VTX 1800 RETRO--TOYO PROXY TIRES? Empty Re: MOVING TO THE DARKSIDE--VTX 1800 RETRO--TOYO PROXY TIRES?

Post  twin1300 Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:52 pm

Well Shortshifter,

Let me be the first to welcome you to our riding site. Of course we do love our darksides here. Remember tires are like...."dancing with the one that brought you to the dance". Some guys will like the Toyo and some will not. My twin brother titaniumwing and White Devil have the 195/55/16 T1R on their Goldwings and they love it. I personally don't think you can go wrong with it. Remember, I said they have them on their Goldwings. I will have to find out what size they are running on the 1800's.

We (1300's) can't run the Toyo's because they will not fit our rims because of width. But the 1800's will go right on.

So, I know others will come on here to let you know what they think. I just wanted to formally Congratulate you on finding our forum and make yourself at home. I have ridden the darkside for almost 3 years now and just put my second darkside on....ehehehehe I am a daily rider...24X7X365 and the car tire can handle any thing mother nature or the roads can throw at it and perform like a champ...no slipping, sliding, or doing anything funny!

Please read our rules of the thread and remember. If you don't like a thread or post that have stepped out of bounds. Bring it to our attention. We don't allow trolls or belittling any one to get our point across. And WE WILL NOT allow them to do to you either. You will like it here. Also, the darkside is a mod that you do at your own risk so, get all the knowledge you can to make the best decision. Of course it aint for everyone, but I haven't found anyone that doesn't like it.

...........bobby

ps.....don't forget to look at my durometer thread on General discussion. It will show why the Darkside is superior to grip and traction...especially if you are going to haul a trailer. You WILL be impressed with it's grip and how much more handling you will get with the car tire.

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

MOVING TO THE DARKSIDE--VTX 1800 RETRO--TOYO PROXY TIRES? Empty Re: MOVING TO THE DARKSIDE--VTX 1800 RETRO--TOYO PROXY TIRES?

Post  nodakbassmaster Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:18 pm

love my t1r in the 215/45/18... you will not want to go any wider than a 205 for your application and probly no higher than a 60 series... how long are your shocks? Have you looked into the load rating for the T1R? Can it handle approx what you are planning to put on it? (I'd guess yes, but it would be a guess!)
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  vtxreaper Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:22 pm

Bobby said it all, this site is a great place to reside, all the info you need and no bickering, insults or demeaning comments!! I'm sure you will like the Darkside I don't know anyone who has switched back, but you always have the option!! Did mine two weeks ago, and boy am I happy. A little different feel, but performance is much, much, did I say much better. The only thing I found is you have to find the right pressure for your tire. Started with 40psi in my Toyo Proxes TPT, now it is at 44psi and handles even better!!
WELCOME SHORTSHIFTER, and ride safe,,,,Cliff
vtxreaper
vtxreaper

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesvtx Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:57 pm

ShortShifter wrote:HI ALL I'M NEW ON THE BOARD. i DECIDED TO MOVE TO THE DARKSIDE AND NEED TIRES. FIGURE METZ 880 ON THE FRONT AND TOYO PROXY TR 1 ON THE BACK WITH EXTRA SIPING? I RIDE THE VTX 1800 RETRO 2 UP BAGS LOADED, PACK ON THE BACK, AND TOW A LOADED TRAILER WITH EXTERNAL "HITCH DOC" HITCH. I'M HAULIN'. LOOKING FOR THE BEST TIRE TO TAKE INTO A CURVE WITHOUT GOING DOWN. ALSO WOULD LIKE TO MINIMIZE THE TIRE TRACKING ON BAD PAVEMENT AND STEEL BRIDGE GRATES. I REALLY DON'T WANT TO GRIND THE FENDER RAIL IF I CAN GET AWAY WITH IT. THINKING THE TOYO PROXY TR 1 OR ?
I APPRECIATE THE HELP
I'm running the Goodyear Triple tread in 205/60/16, and I'm running simular to you if not a little heavier. I've already put over 11,000 miles on this tire and have road it on basicaly every type of road,and weather conditions, with no problems. I run a custom hiden hitch so I had to modify my inner fender rails for clearance.
As for a going down on the curves, I drag my boards on every ride (even with the trailer on) and have not had any fear of the tire slipping.
Mikesvtx
Mikesvtx

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  4runner Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:54 pm

vtxreaper wrote:Bobby said it all, this site is a great place to reside, all the info you need and no bickering, insults or demeaning comments!! I'm sure you will like the Darkside I don't know anyone who has switched back, but you always have the option!! Did mine two weeks ago, and boy am I happy. A little different feel, but performance is much, much, did I say much better. The only thing I found is you have to find the right pressure for your tire. Started with 40psi in my Toyo Proxes TPT, now it is at 44psi and handles even better!!
WELCOME SHORTSHIFTER, and ride safe,,,,Cliff

Cliff,
I have been reading around and noticed your ride WOW!! I have an 1800 R and would love to go dark. So here it comes, I have never pulled the rear wheel out, but I just bought a lift from Sears hoping that would help. Would you take me through what is involved after the tire is mounted. Did you have to grind the brackets or did it just slide in fine. The fender on the R does not seems to make it as easy as the C model

Ahmad

MOVING TO THE DARKSIDE--VTX 1800 RETRO--TOYO PROXY TIRES? Bikevt12
4runner
4runner

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-04-20

Back to top Go down

MOVING TO THE DARKSIDE--VTX 1800 RETRO--TOYO PROXY TIRES? Empty New Darksider On The Block

Post  ShortShifter Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:48 am

Well I did it. I put in the time to research tire composition, tread patterns and mess of other details that are too numerous to post. To make a long story short I am now an official Darksider. I installed the Toyo Proxies T1R and had it Siped (not that it needed it) 205/55/16 VR. on my 05 1800 Retro. Whew I cant wait to get out there and ride! What a Face

Cheers,
Rowland

ShortShifter

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:44 pm

ShortShifter wrote:Well I did it. I put in the time to research tire composition, tread patterns and mess of other details that are too numerous to post. To make a long story short I am now an official Darksider. I installed the Toyo Proxies T1R and had it Siped (not that it needed it) 205/55/16 VR. on my 05 1800 Retro. Whew I cant wait to get out there and ride! What a Face

Cheers,
Rowland

Shortshifter,

Be sure and come back and give us the ride review of what you think? Congrats on your choice to go Darkside.

.....................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:21 pm

and don't forget pictures! Very Happy
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down