Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tire refuses to seat

+9
ttexastim
smokey2255
Larry Simpson
jedishon
Beermand
Tshirtmeister
Doc
Fly
Fudd
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Tire refuses to seat - Page 2 Empty Re: Tire refuses to seat

Post  twin1300 Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:12 am

Larry Simpson wrote:Fly,I don't question those that say the car tire on the bike scares them,I could care less what they think and it doesn't really suprise me that you don't understand the logic behind being reluctant to weaken the interegity of the tire that I am trusting my life too but I guess that is just more false information on my part huh. Shrug Shrug

I wasn't going to say anything....but I don't recommend grinding the tire either! I know some have, but I think patience is the key to mounting a car tire. JMO

.........................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Fudd Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:49 pm

Hey Bobby

This tire is on my son's M50. He drove it all the way from Denham Springs to Jackson, MS the evening we installed the tire without it being seated properly. Must have been one hell of a rough ride for three hours. He has not had much time to fool with it because of work, but has managed to get one side to "pop".

I feel that the next time he deals with it , it should be the charm. K Y, sunlight, and just a little excessive pressure is going to get it. It will be a big load off my back when it seats.

Ironic, but years ago, I had a velo racing track bicycle that I ran 135 psi in. I occasinally "blew" one up while inflating. Never thought twice about it. Its a whole different story with the air volumes involved.

When are you comming to Hooters? Tonite (Tuesday) is bike nite. I have a lot of friends there, you should join us.
Fudd
Fudd

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Fudd Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:33 pm

My son just called:

Success at last!

Thank you everyone for the inputs
Fudd
Fudd

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:26 pm

cheers cheers cheers
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:41 pm

Fudd wrote:Hey Bobby

This tire is on my son's M50. He drove it all the way from Denham Springs to Jackson, MS the evening we installed the tire without it being seated properly. Must have been one hell of a rough ride for three hours. He has not had much time to fool with it because of work, but has managed to get one side to "pop".

I feel that the next time he deals with it , it should be the charm. K Y, sunlight, and just a little excessive pressure is going to get it. It will be a big load off my back when it seats.

Ironic, but years ago, I had a velo racing track bicycle that I ran 135 psi in. I occasinally "blew" one up while inflating. Never thought twice about it. Its a whole different story with the air volumes involved.

When are you comming to Hooters? Tonite (Tuesday) is bike nite. I have a lot of friends there, you should join us.

Dude...sorry I missed ya. My managers father passed away and I was at the funeral home for him. Maybe next time and give me a little more heads up. Congrats on finally getting it to seat!

.......................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Cage SC Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:29 am

Just got my new 15 inch Yokohama Touring S on the VTX 1300C this last weekend. Temps were 98-104. STILL didn't seat until it popped at 110 lbs! Mechanic was scared as hell. I told him just to keep upping the pressure. He did!
Cage SC
Cage SC

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post  ltrmc02 Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:38 pm

I'm scared, trying to seat a 16" Potenza on a Victory Vision. 85psi I've been backing off, currently letting it sit in the sun and drinking a cold one to cool down. Cheers

ltrmc02

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2011-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post  coldweatherfreak Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:50 pm

the General Altimax Artic I mounted on my V-strom, 205/50-17 on a stock 4" v-strom wheel was seated by the time it hit 40psi
coldweatherfreak
coldweatherfreak

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post  ltrmc02 Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:56 pm

Got 110psi sitting in the 16" Potenza right now and still no seat, got a little olive oil, WD-40 and dish washing detergent and 110psi with 50ft remote detonation air line and still not seated.

I keep letting all the air out lubing the inner bead lip and reinflating. Any other suggestions? It does appear from the last look that it's making some progress, maybe a 4" span thats not jumped over the inner bead of the rim.

ltrmc02

Back to top Go down

Tire refuses to seat - Page 2 Empty re tire refuses to seat

Post  Larry Simpson Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:14 pm

Make sure it is safe for everyone,kids ect.and just let it set with pressure,sometimes time does wonders. hmmm
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  ltrmc02 Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:17 pm

Finally seated. Just for a suggestion, if it's constantly one area that isn't seating then let the air back out, use the tire tools to pull that side up, trying to let that side of the tire jump the bead first then lube good and blow ROFL

I'm sure I have a tad of water in the tire from all the water\dish washing detergent so my question is will this affect the performance of the Dyna Beads that I plan on putting in the tire? Thinking if moisture is too high they may clump together? I was going to stick them in before I aired it up but with all the water I sprayed on the bead I figured I'd wait and go throught the valve steam.

ltrmc02

Back to top Go down

Post  Beermand Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:18 pm

Well, all I can speak from is my experience, but my GYTT took 120 psi to seat and yesterday exlax took 130 to seat his bead. At 110 mine had about a 4 inch area that didn't seat, and I let out the air and lubed more and went to 120 and it popped into place. I agree with a remote chuck and be away when doing it but it should go give it a little more if sitting in the sun doesn't do it.
Beermand
Beermand

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2010-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2