Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When YOU made the decision to go Darkside...

+4
jedishon
CaribCruiser
twin1300
Cage SC
8 posters

Go down

When YOU made the decision to go Darkside... Empty When YOU made the decision to go Darkside...

Post  Cage SC Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:12 am

It would seem several of you on here already know me from the VTX Café. That’s cool and saves some time with those that do. Early last week I placed this post on that Forum site...

OK...I've already made the decision to go Darkside and Joe Licketto of Madness Motorcycles is going to help me with that as well as shaving the ribs out of the "c" rear fender because he seems to fee it's needed to allow for the clearance of the larger tire.

That said, I STILL have five other questions:

1 - What, exactly, was the thing that got you to choose the particular tire model you eventually put on? For example, was it individual research, did just went with the flow, had you tried it out on someone else’s bike, maybe you liked the latest trend or was it something else?

2 - What tire did you finally choose?

3 - Were you content with your decision or did you change?

4 - Are you happy with the final results over time?

5 - Last, but not least, what did you wish someone had advised you before-hand that you would definitely pass on to others if they were you now?

Thanks for taking the time to help out here.

I was also told to read through your site (a large task) and ask the same questions (which I now have). I’ve done some reading of your postings and have picked up even more good info. But any contributions to this thread would continue to be helpful

Thanks!
Cage SC
Cage SC

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-06-09

Back to top Go down

When YOU made the decision to go Darkside... Empty Re: When YOU made the decision to go Darkside...

Post  twin1300 Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:29 am

Cage SC wrote:
That said, I STILL have five other questions:

1 - What, exactly, was the thing that got you to choose the particular tire model you eventually put on? For example, was it individual research, did just went with the flow, had you tried it out on someone else’s bike, maybe you liked the latest trend or was it something else?

5 - Last, but not least, what did you wish someone had advised you before-hand that you would definitely pass on to others if they were you now?

I was also told to read through your site (a large task) and ask the same questions (which I now have). I’ve done some reading of your postings and have picked up even more good info. But any contributions to this thread would continue to be helpful

Thanks!

1. At the time the 1300 VTX's could only seat the VW tire and they were getting harder and harder to find. I went through Walmart and saw a tire that looked narrow from bead to bead (1300's have a narrow rim width) and at rest it was 4 1/2" and looked like it would fit, so I bought it! I was the first 1300 anywhere I know of to put a 205 on a 1300 so no one at that time had any experience with them! It's called the wideside mod.
2. Douglas Rain and Snow tire.
3. Still riding the same tire.....3 + years now and counting!
4. Couldn't be happier!!! As a matter of fact, I am going to buy another tire soon because I am getting tired of looking at this one.....LOL
5. Dude....I have probably turned more people on to the darkside than anyone! All because I like to help people and a big thanks to Daniel Meyer and all his posting on "Life is a Road" and doing it first on the bigger bikes with wider rims.

..............twin

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

When YOU made the decision to go Darkside... Empty Re: When YOU made the decision to go Darkside...

Post  CaribCruiser Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:13 am

1 - Where I live, there's not that much choice. I already had done the foods mod and went with a 205 and bought a Kumo, since it was the cheapest. Since the island is just 170 sq mile, I did not go dark to get more miles out of a tire. I just wanted to check it out.

2 - After an accident I changed the look of the bike and I wanted an even wider tire. I went with a 225 Dunlop. I choose that one since the edges where more rounded.

Oh yeah, once you go dark, well you know what they say about women . . .
The Dunlop handles extremely well, but slips too easily on the hot roads in the afternoon.

4 - Are you happy with the final results over time? Yep, see 3, I even want to get married. Wink

5 - Last, but not least, what did you wish someone had advised you before-hand that you would definitely pass on to others if they were you now? Wow, is that the easiest way to ask a simpl question? Wink
I just wished I knew about the Darkside earlier.

You're welcome and enjoy the new, better and safer riding after the change.

Robert.
CaribCruiser
CaribCruiser

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:49 pm

I followed Twin with the wideside, same tire. But I picked that tire because it was cheap and I didn't know if I would like it or not. Moved up to a Yokahama for my second tire. Would like to go to a Hydroedge but can't afford it right now.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:56 pm

I hunted for months for a tire to fit
175/75/16 Vredestein Comtrac
I wish they still made them, but will have to change when it eventually wears out.
Best tire I ever ran, period. Plus I was the first Heritage to go DS.
That they were going to quit making tires - I'd have bought 3.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  jaejon Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:11 am

price and reading the board .also saw a video on how the tire stayed on the road sold it for me . 4000 miles latter love it would never go back to mc tire. general grabler 205 70 15 . two gold wings in the group i ride now have ct because of seeing how the tire reacts on the bike in curves .seeing is beliveing
jaejon
jaejon

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:47 am

jaejon wrote:price and reading the board .also saw a video on how the tire stayed on the road sold it for me . 4000 miles latter love it would never go back to mc tire. general grabler 205 70 15 . two gold wings in the group i ride now have ct because of seeing how the tire reacts on the bike in curves .seeing is beliveing

Congrats sir and welcome to the darkside!

....................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  patrickcotter3@gmail.com Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:33 pm

i have a 2006 VTX 1300c that has tendency to roam the mountains of "The Dragon"(US129) and "The Devil's Triangle(US116)".

i saw the tire on a video on YouTube. i liked the looks and the way it held the road. i ride a lot in the rain and its grip during wet conditions made the decision for me. i have already ridden in a storm and it sends a 30 foot rooster off the back tire. one car actually backed off from the rooster.

Michelin Hydroedge 205/70/15

i have only been on it for 200 miles and can already tell a difference. i have ran the Devil's Triangle(hwy 116) and had no problems. did not go in haste with the oil still in the rubber. hitting "The Dragon" this weekend and will come back and throw some feedback into the pot.

i am very happy and i want to thank you guys and the other writers for all the information.

i can't think of anything that was not covered in these pages. again, i want to thank everybody. [i]

i will add that it only took the tech 30 minutes to do it and 12 people were watching him put it on. i am not savvy enough for the drive shaft disassemble.

UPDATE: i have been on my mich for 8000 miles. no problem so far. made a 19 minute "Dragon" run and have ridden in all weather, even snow(not for long and just spitting). made it to the rolling thunder in DC thru the Blue Ridge Parkway in the clouds. really been happy with the tire. i raise the psi to 38 when i am cruising and drop it to 33 when laying it down on the Dragon. the outer edges of the tire seem to be wearing which was expected and other than that, no apparent tread wear. thanks again guys.

Last edited by patrickcotter3@gmail.com on Wed May 09, 2012 7:48 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : 2006 honda vtx c)

patrickcotter3@gmail.com

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post  CaribCruiser Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Patrick,

Welcome and Congrats
Thx. for the write-up.
CaribCruiser
CaribCruiser

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:35 pm

Congrats Patrick and welcome to the wonderful world of the darkside! It will only get better from here.

.....................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

When YOU made the decision to go Darkside... Empty Darkkside

Post  Justpics Tue May 08, 2012 9:26 pm

ok here is my post,

I went with the Yoko avid S 205/70/15. liked what i read about it.
as for the front I am looking into that currently the existing tire is a Metz 110/70/19, looking at going wider. would be interested in feedback as the best way to go.
as I have a 1300 C

Justpics

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down