Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need some Pro.Advise

4 posters

Go down

Need some Pro.Advise Empty Need some Pro.Advise

Post  Georgemb Sun May 22, 2011 6:31 pm

Okay,I'm ready to go darkside,1300S,got my rims sealed,got a Mich.Hydroedge 205-65-15 and can't get the thing mounted.Had a friend from VTXOA who has done many darkside mounts try and couldn't get it on.I was told on the VTXOA board that a 65 and a 70 would fit all 1300 models.So what's the deal? Will it fit or not.It has been so much frustration tring to get this thing mounted I'm ready to sell the CT and just go buy a regular MT.If this is supposed to fit,can some of you share some tricks you've used to get them on?
And Please,I live in IL.don't tell me you will mount it for me if you live in like Fla.or Cal.or some other place a thousand miles away,If I could afford to drive that kind of distance I would just buy another tire.

Last edited by Georgemb on Mon May 23, 2011 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Georgemb

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Need some Pro.Advise Empty Re: Need some Pro.Advise

Post  jedishon Sun May 22, 2011 7:46 pm

65 and 70 series will seat. You have to have a very clean rim to start with. A scotch guard pad works pretty good. Cooking oil is nice and slippery.

A 65 series tire has a bead width between 1/2" to 1" wider than a 70 series. The wider the bead width the harder it is to seat. I have heard of 65 series taking up to 120 lbs to seat and a 70 series taking up to 100lbs. Those are very dangerous numbers.

Hope this sheds a little light for you.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sun May 22, 2011 7:48 pm

Smokey lives in IL....maybe he can help! Sometimes they are hard to mount because the side wall are so soft because of the softer rubber of the car tire compared to the motorcycle tire. It took me 3 tries to even get mine to mount on a mag rim.

Some put them in the sun and sit all day to try to make them seat and it does take PATIENCE!! Tons of it!

....................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Sun May 22, 2011 8:55 pm

Is it you can't get the tire mounted on the wheel or is it you can't get the bead to seat?
Mounting by hand with spoons can be next to impossible, but with a tire machine it is easy.
What the others have said to get it to seat, clean the inside lip really well and use a good lube.
Cooking oil or even crisco will work. The tire being warm helps. I've heard that the quicker you
can air the tire up can make a difference in how easy it is to seat. I had a 70 series Hydroedge mounted
last week at a local tire and muffler shop and it seated at 60 psi on the 4th try.
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgemb Sun May 22, 2011 11:55 pm

Thanks Jerry,I do feel better that at least I got a tire that will fit.But you are right,those are real scarry numbers.I'll keep the faith and keep on tring to get it on.

Georgemb

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgemb Mon May 23, 2011 12:12 am

Howdy OODoc.,no man,we couldn't even get one side of the thing on the rim.My friend from the VTXOA forum tried to do it by his self,then I went over and together we still couldn't even get one side on.
And yes we were using a hand tire machine.I have called and/or been to all the area tire shops and tire stores,and no bike shop (big or small) will go near it.I really don't want to go to some place and lie about it being for a side car or something other then what it is going to be used for.And they always ask.I have posted on the VTXOA board looking for anybody close that might have a pneumatic or motor driven tire machine,but so far no replies.I have another friend that has a stand-alone hand tire machine (you know,muscle drive) so next week me and a friend are going over there and we'll see if 3 guys can get the job done.

Last edited by Georgemb on Mon May 23, 2011 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Georgemb

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgemb Mon May 23, 2011 12:20 am

I have another question,If we can get the thing on,how do you clean up what ever goop gets on the inside of the rim so my dyna-beads dont get all goopy and stick to the goop or just wind up as a big ole clump?And when do you put the beads in?Do you seat it then let the air out and put them in through the valve stem,or do you throw them in after you get one side of the tire on the rim?They don't come with instrutions

Last edited by Georgemb on Mon May 23, 2011 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Georgemb

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon May 23, 2011 7:20 am

Georgemb wrote:I have another question,If we can get the thing on,how do you clean up what ever goop gets on the inside of the rim so my dyna-beads dont get all goopy and stick to the goop or just wind up as a big ole clump?And when do you put the beads in?Do you seat it then let the air out and put them in through the stem valve,or do you throw them in after you get one side of the tire on the rim?They don't come with instrutions

That's why a lot of us recommend cooking oil! It's slick and it dissolves so NO clumping or goop inside!

Secondly, I recommend the air soft pellets BUT YOU HAVE TO PUT THEM IN WHEN YOU ARE MOUNTING THE TIRE!!!!!! ***they will NOT go through the stem!!!***

....................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgemb Fri May 27, 2011 7:37 pm

Thank's to all who replied and offered help.To see the outcome of this journey,check out my other post (DARKSIDE--no shop)

Georgemb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down