Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Confused over Run Flat or Non Run Flat

+3
quadancer
twin1300
Knightsquad
7 posters

Go down

Confused over Run Flat or Non Run Flat Empty Confused over Run Flat or Non Run Flat

Post  Knightsquad Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:19 pm

I am planning my switch over to the Darkside soon and been reading and reading everything
I can about it and have decided on the Kumho 195/55/16
I've also een hearing that it isn't a good idea to use the Run flats if you DON'T have the TPMS on your bike
They say you may not know you have a flat and just keep riding until the tire comes aprt and causes a dangerous situation.

Does the Kumho come in a (non) run flat tire too? Kind of confused now...

I did get my Bridgestone BT45 rear mounted up in the front and it feels great but need more info on this run flat VS non run flat!

Are any of you running using the run flat (without) a TPMS system?

Thanks guys!
Pete

Knightsquad

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-04-21

Back to top Go down

Confused over Run Flat or Non Run Flat Empty Re: Confused over Run Flat or Non Run Flat

Post  Guest Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:59 am

I've heard or read this too about the need of a tpms if you do go with a run flat. I think there is a non rf Kumho 195 55 16 but not totally sure. I'm probably going to go with a Goodyear TT 205 60R16. If I'm right, it will correct the speedo and it's a really good tire. Eventually going with the BT up front too.

Back to top Go down

Confused over Run Flat or Non Run Flat Empty Re: Confused over Run Flat or Non Run Flat

Post  twin1300 Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:10 am

Either one will be great! I think it's more of just a myth! I have seen one and only one problem with a run flat and that's because I don't think the rider was very experienced to feel something was going wrong. JMO

.......................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Knightsquad Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:52 am

Yeh I think you're right. I also did read one guys report that there is no way your will NOT know
something is wrong back there if it did go flat and I kind of aggree.
I mean you've got to feel something going from 30 something pounds to ZERO! haha

I'm just hoping I can find someone to mount it. Need to do that before I order one..

Twin, Do we get a Darkside# and decal when we do go Dark? haha I notice guys with a Darkside #
Just sayin... LOL

Pete

Knightsquad

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sun May 01, 2011 11:53 pm

Knightsquad wrote:Yeh I think you're right. I also did read one guys report that there is no way your will NOT know
something is wrong back there if it did go flat and I kind of aggree.
I mean you've got to feel something going from 30 something pounds to ZERO! haha

I'm just hoping I can find someone to mount it. Need to do that before I order one..

Twin, Do we get a Darkside# and decal when we do go Dark? haha I notice guys with a Darkside #
Just sayin... LOL

Pete

Pete,

Go to the members tab at the top and look up the date you became a member and see what your number is!

..................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Knightsquad Mon May 02, 2011 5:52 am

I see the date is 2011-04-21
Wheres the number listed?

Knightsquad

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue May 03, 2011 5:28 am

Knightsquad wrote:I see the date is 2011-04-21
Wheres the number listed?

It's the number to the far left when searching in "Ascending" order. You are Darksider # 2525 Salute!!!! cheers

...................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Knightsquad Tue May 03, 2011 5:50 am

I must be retarded here! When I go to members tab I'm first on the list right?
I just don't see the number! hahah

Anyway I found this guys who will mount the car tire for me when I get it! Yeh!
Should I wait a little bit till the existing tire is finally worn down
or just DO IT! hahaha

Pete
Knightsquad

Number of posts: 8
Registration date: 2011-04-21

Knightsquad

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Tue May 03, 2011 9:07 am

I just DID it and didn't regret it one bit.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Knightsquad Thu May 05, 2011 9:09 am

Hey, thanks Bobby
Thanks Quad!

I found a guy who will mount it for me! yeh'
Pretty soon now! haha
The Battelax feels great though!

Hey quick question, off topic though. I noticed the other night coming hom that none of the words on
my cruise control buttons were lit up. They re suppose to be lit correct?
And also the buttons up above the gas tank door. They say Mode/Trip.Disp They're not lit, are they suppose to be?

Actually the words (resume and Acc) are lit on the cruise side so I'm guessing they should all be right?

Anyone ever have to change out those bulbs? I'm sure they are very tiny but I wonder how hard it is to do!

Any info would be appreciated and I'll keep you all up to date on the Rear tire swap soon! hahahah

YEH DARKSIDE! haha

Pete

Knightsquad

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Fri May 06, 2011 1:35 am

, your unlit buttons are unlit, you would really be pissed if you went to change then and could find the bulb sockets Very Happy

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Confused over Run Flat or Non Run Flat Empty run-flat

Post  rockinrobin Fri May 06, 2011 6:32 pm

your post helped me to decide to "just do it"
rockinrobin
rockinrobin

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Knightsquad Fri May 06, 2011 6:37 pm

Cool Rockin'

When did ya do it?

I noticed in the specs of the Kumho Ecsta it says NOT to ride them near feezing temps!
Anyone also see that? I rode plenty of days down here in Fl last year when it was near freezing
no problem but that was on m/t
Are these Kumhos ok for freezing or no? Anyone use them near freezing temps ? Anyone! lol

Pete

Knightsquad

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Fri May 13, 2011 11:51 am

Back to the Run Flat topic....

Rumor had it years ago that if I put a car tire on the back of my motorcycle I'd burst into flames.... That didn't happen.

Now, I hear that a Run Flat will go flat, I won't know it, and it may explode on me going down the highway. As opposed to just going flat at high speed.....

First fire, now explode.

Does anyone have any facts on this actually happening? Or is this just another myth for us to debunk. I know lot's of folks that use run flats. Dark Wing Dave is one. Never heard of this problem. Also wondering how one would NOT know their run flat was "low". Heck, if my tire is low, I know at the first corner. My butt feels funny....
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sat May 14, 2011 9:57 am

there are 2 cases I have heard of runflats being run way too far and too hard while flat. One guy admittedly rode his for 319 miles with it feeling funny, 2 up before it delaminated. The outer carcass came completey seperated. he did not lose control when it came apart but had to get a tow.

Another was a lot more sketchy on details as it was posted by a major midwest dealer and of course in their ignorance they were all about how dangerous a car tire is and this is what it can cause yada yada (up his). They showed pics of the tire still on the bike and being the guy I am, I could care less about looking at the tore up rubber. I was looking for damage on the bike and could see none. So apparently/obviously they did not lose control of it either. They also required a tow. The couple that this happened to were on a cross counry trip so there is no telling how far they rode on it flat.

This may not be all the cases of the tires coming apart but they are all I have found in 4 years of reading everything I can on the use of car tires.

The honda tpms (tire pressure monitoring system) does no good for running a car tire as it does not give a read out on actual pressure it just alarms if it detects a low pressure. There are some after market tmps that are a lot better suited to our needs.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sat May 14, 2011 9:59 am

Oh, ... Steve-o . I am with you there. It don't take much in the butt to tell me to get off and check my mistress out. One time it was only a 4 psi drop but it was different than when I parked it the night before.
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Knightsquad Mon May 16, 2011 8:57 am

I'm not disagreeing at all! I went dark last week
and love it so far! Feels awesome!

I did ask a question about temperature but no one
takes about it yet!

In the specifications on this tire it says not to run it
near feezing temps. I've rode to work plenty of times
near freezing but not on the ct yet.

What do you all think about the temp spec?
Has anyone taken the tire to low temps?
Just sayin! Lol

Pete

Knightsquad

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Mon May 16, 2011 9:42 am

I found this in an article about summer tires;

"The main difference among winter tires, all-season-tires and summer tires is the pliability and durability of their rubber at different temperatures. Tire engineers call it "glass transition temperature:" Get them cold enough and every tire will have the grip of a Formica kitchen counter. For a race tire, it might be 40° Fahrenheit. For a winter tire it could be 60° below zero. Summer tire tread starts becoming Formica-like somewhere just below freezing. Most all-season tires are still pliable below zero, but some "ultra-high-performance all-season" tires start losing grip well before that."

I think I would probably just take it easy like it was raining, when temps get low if I was using this tire.
Otherwise I don't see any problem with it. thumbup
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Knightsquad Mon May 16, 2011 9:52 am

Interesting!
Thanks!

Pete

Knightsquad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down