Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tire Sizes...

5 posters

Go down

Tire Sizes... Empty Tire Sizes...

Post  majjcarlson Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:29 pm

I have been reading this forum since last summer and I plan on taking my 1300R to the Darkside (hopefully this week). I have my dynabeads ordered, a shop lined up, but I am having a hard time picking a tires. I would prefer a GYTT 205/70/r15, but it seems that they have discontinued that size and I cannot find them online or locally. Actually having an issue finding anything with a higher speed rating (H), or directional tread in that size. So I have a lot of questions.
1. Does a directional tread benefit you in any way? I have seen both directional and bi-directional tires used on the site.
2. Size: 205/70/r15 vs. 205/65/r15 - I have seen people going either way. 70 will help on the high end, 65 will increase takeoff. 70 will increase speed on speedometer, 65 will reduce. 70 will put less miles on the odometer, 65 will add more? Is there any difference in handling, or is the height difference so minimal it wouldn't be noticed? Would the bike noticable sit any lower?
3. Does the speed rating make a difference? Stiffer sidewalls? Or are most people running a T without any problems? Or are certain brands with T ratings better than others? Local tire shops I have talked to suggest using an H rated tire, but I am sure that a lot of the ones being used are T rated.

From what I keep reading, the 205/70/r15 is the recommended size for the 1300, and I have read it gets the speedometer closer to the actual mph (based on posts from people with GPS units). But since I can't get the GYTT in that size, I can't make my mind up on a tire. I have never had luck with Michelin (rubber to hard for ND winters), and the Grabber isn't available anywhere local, plus the grabber looks like it might be a rough ride by the pictures. So I am stuck looking at bi-directional patterns. Douglas doesn't look like a bad tire, but don't get many hits when I search the site or find out much about the quality when I search the internet. So brands/models I am considering are Kuhmo (KH16, KR21, KR22), Dunlop (Signature), Goodyear (Fuelmax), or Yokohams (Touring-S)....

Anyone had experience with any of these? Have other suggestions? Any seat better than others? Better traction/handling?
Any suggestions or preferences on a new front tire? The shop is pushing another Dunlop.....

Thanks...

Mike

majjcarlson

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-09-08

Back to top Go down

Tire Sizes... Empty Re: Tire Sizes...

Post  Doc Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:51 pm

Welcome to the forum...
I've been on the Grabber for about 2 years now,
it rides smooth and has great traction both wet and dry.
It's an "H" rated tire so it is good for more than your X will do and Tire Rack has them in stock.
A 70 series tire will get your speedometer closer to correct, but that varies according to how much it was off to begin with.
It's my opinion that the taller sidewall is easier to bead. I like the Metz for the front, but I have a C model.
You may also consider an Avon Roadrider rear tire for your front and go Double Darkside.
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:32 pm

I have a Yokohama Avid Touring on my 1300R and a Roadrider on the front. The Avid seated at 69 lbs, but took a good 500 miles to wear off the mold release. Was pretty squirley in the rain until then.
My speedo was off by 10% from the factory. The Avid took it down to 9.2%. I added a speedo healer to make it accurate.

What ever tire you choose will be better that the stock duncrap tire.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgemb Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:26 am

What is a speedo healer?

Georgemb

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:15 pm

Georgemb wrote:What is a speedo healer?

It is an electronic gadget that goes inline on your speedometer speed sensor signal to adjust the error.
You program in the percentage of correction you need and it sends the proper signal to your speedometer
so it reads the correct mph. These are the people that distribute them in the US... http://www.calsportbike.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?exact_match=yes&product=Speedo_Healer&cart_id=834220.21061
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  CaribCruiser Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:48 pm

You can't go wrong with the 205-70.
Anyway, welcome and enjoy the long rides.
Robert.
CaribCruiser
CaribCruiser

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down