Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tread wear

4 posters

Go down

tread wear Empty tread wear

Post  maurice Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:30 am

Just needed verification that on these alitmax tires, the tread depth when new is the same depth on the side tread pattern as the middle tread lines? I checked tread wear and my center has more tread depth than the edges. I was riding with 35lbs pressure for about 7k miles now, and just let it down to 29lbs. Does this sound about right to put a little less wear on the side tread? thanks

maurice
maurice
maurice

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2010-01-03

Back to top Go down

tread wear Empty Re: tread wear

Post  Oldsmobility Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:47 am

Less tire pressure should result in more edge wear. If you are getting too much wear on the sides, try raising the pressure. This will put more of the weight on the center of your tread, when riding straight roads.

I actually run 32-35 psi, and I've been getting a bias towards wear in the center. Mostly, I blame it on the boring, straight Ohio roads.

Oldsmobility
Oldsmobility

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  maurice Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:01 am

Oldsmobility wrote:Less tire pressure should result in more edge wear. If you are getting too much wear on the sides, try raising the pressure. This will put more of the weight on the center of your tread, when riding straight roads.

I actually run 32-35 psi, and I've been getting a bias towards wear in the center. Mostly, I blame it on the boring, straight Ohio roads.

blame it on tire pressure! sounds like me, we need less pressure. I dropped to 28-9 so hopefully it will reduce center wear.

maurice
maurice
maurice

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:21 pm

In Georgia, I wouldn't worry about wear factors. Too many twisties. I go for the right handling and that's it. The wear is still going to be great, since it's a CT.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:18 pm

I adjust the tire pressure more for the ride than the worry about tread wear. You'll need to grease the splines at 15k, just replace the tire then....unless you get 30k on the tire which is entirely possible.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  maurice Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:25 pm

Steve-O wrote:I adjust the tire pressure more for the ride than the worry about tread wear. You'll need to grease the splines at 15k, just replace the tire then....unless you get 30k on the tire which is entirely possible.

No way will i toss the tire at 15k. I will just have a guy grease the splines for 15 bucks and ride on. I didn't go darkside to throw a bunch of rubber away.

maurice
maurice
maurice

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down