Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ZX11 - new guy - considering making the jump

5 posters

Go down

ZX11 - new guy - considering making the jump Empty ZX11 - new guy - considering making the jump

Post  yorgomiami Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:12 pm

Been lurking here for a while but have known of others using car tires on bikes. Seems that almost everyone that does this has a valkyrie or VTX or cruiser in general. Has anyone successfully gone to the dark side with a sport bike? By "successfully" I mean "isn't dead as a result of..."

My old trusty ZX11 is my daily commuter and I'm about to blow another $150 for 8,000 miles of riding on my rear tire. I calculated the size to fit and looks like a 205/50/17 will do it. Will there be any problems with high speed stability? I try to keep things at posted limits but its temping every now and then to double that number. Are V rated tires safe enough for triple digits? Also, I know cornering would be a major concern on sport bikes but my ZX is more of a sport-touring bike and not a corner carver. Still I do tend to lean over, way over, at times.

Not sure yet if this is right for me.

yorgomiami

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-01-18

Back to top Go down

ZX11 - new guy - considering making the jump Empty Re: ZX11 - new guy - considering making the jump

Post  Doc Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:01 pm

Several of the Connie and FJ guys have gone with a CT and swear by it.
It works for them but I don't think they lay it way over either.
I'd say go for it but explore the edge of the envelope carefully.
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

ZX11 - new guy - considering making the jump Empty Re: ZX11 - new guy - considering making the jump

Post  smokey2255 Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:21 am

The connie and fjr guys are dragging pegs with no problems. These will take more than we think. Buy a quality tire and give it a try. I think you will find you will enjoy a spirited ride, but I would stay away from racing mode.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  yorgomiami Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:39 pm

Anyone know if this tire is any good for this? FALKEN ZE-502, 205/50/17

yorgomiami

Back to top Go down

ZX11 - new guy - considering making the jump Empty Made the jump

Post  yorgomiami Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:48 pm

Total pain in the ass to mount this thing. Had to relocate rear caliper arm for clearance. Went for a ride and wow! it works. And.... it's not bad at all. Just got back from another test run. I'm impressed at well this works. Leaning is a bit strange but not bad. Taking it easy for a few days before I hammer it hard to see how much it can take.

ZX11 - new guy - considering making the jump IMG_1082
ZX11 - new guy - considering making the jump IMG_1077
ZX11 - new guy - considering making the jump IMG_1085

yorgomiami

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:46 pm

Congrats and welcome! Be sure to find it limits and don't over do it with the lean.
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:33 am

That's an oxymoron, isn't it?
Anyhoo, that odd feeling at first goes away when you find the sweet spot of pressure for the tire and get some miles on the sweepers with it. Then it becomes BETTER than stock for you and you won't wanna go back - at least that's it for 99.8% of us!
I can lean a bit farther to scrape on my lowslung Heritage due to the extra 1/2" height, and have no fear with the extra grip.
Just remember, it's the FRONT tire that is now your traction limit, so kinda like a dirt bike, you ride the front wheel; only sitting back. If you have old rubber up front, it's worse, as aging tends to harden them. Many of us go DD (double darkside) by putting a new REAR MC tire on the front, and that extra rubber often makes the crossover effect of the rear lessen even more. Plus they last longer.
For me, a Bridgestone S-11 Spitfire turned out to be VERY grippy; love it.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

ZX11 - new guy - considering making the jump Empty Liking it

Post  yorgomiami Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:53 pm

I keep having doubts about this every time I read all the negative feedback I got on another forum. It makes me wonder just how unsafe this really is. That is until I take it out for another ride. Riding the ZX on a CT is turning out to feel normal now. I have a little over 300 miles on this tire now and have pretty much gotten used to it. Took my wife out for a ride tonight after convincing her we were taking the ZX and not the Ultra this time. Funny thing, I had lowered the air pressure to 36psi last time. With her on the bike I couldnt even tell it was a car tire. Felt totally normal with the extra weight.

We ended up hammering the throttle in the straights and had no trouble at all. The bike launches as hard as always and feels very stable. Going over some rough roads revealed I need to adjust the spring preload as the tire rubbed part the battery holder section of the frame. Not too bad but not something I want happening all the time.

I'm now looking for a CT for my Ultra classic.

yorgomiami

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down