Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEO? 205/65/16 Michelin Hydroedge

4 posters

Go down

NEO? 205/65/16 Michelin Hydroedge Empty NEO? 205/65/16 Michelin Hydroedge

Post  mgw12 Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:47 am

Will this tire 205/65/16 Michelin Hydroedge work on my STOCK NEO w/out any mods? I have the stock shocks and do not want to change them out. I saw it yesterday and the thing looks like NO way is that going on!

I am currently running a 200/60/16 MC tire and it is close to the shaft tube!..

I am finding it hard to believe the 205/65/16 Michelin Hydroedge would fit w/out mods.

Anyone able to answer this for me today? I want/need to pull the trigger on a rear tire like now. Thanks for any advice/help or corrections! Very Happy

Matt

mgw12

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-06-21

Back to top Go down

NEO? 205/65/16 Michelin Hydroedge Empty Re: NEO? 205/65/16 Michelin Hydroedge

Post  nodakbassmaster Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:59 pm

yup, it'll fit Wink
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  vtxreaper Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:58 pm

for sure it will fit. just let the air out before you slide it up under the fender it will slide up a bit easier. When installed air it up and away you go.
Good Luck, and welcome to our side. You won't be sorry.
The transition really is minimal!!! Ride like you own it...
Just take it easy the first 50 miles to rough up the tread a bit. Then hit it, and enjoy

REAPS
vtxreaper
vtxreaper

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Back to top Go down

NEO? 205/65/16 Michelin Hydroedge Empty Rubbed on inner fender! ;<(

Post  mgw12 Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:46 pm

Well, The tire was working great. I WAS a happy camper till I added the wife for a 2 up run!

Well the tire cycled up into the inner fender on the right side affraid , opposite of the drive shaft! It now has a line shaved into the sidewall about 5/8 inch wide & fairly deep!...SAD...BUT I bought another one today and will be grinding the inner fender ears before I put the new tire on.

I wanted to publish this for other VTX N owners so they don't have to buy 2 tires! That was a costly mistake & I would caution others with this mod! Like I said it was perfect until I added the addition weight! Embarassed

I will attempt to post a pic of the tire after I get it off!

mgw12

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:27 am

that means your fender isn't centered. Loosen up the 6 bolts going down the grab rails a LITTLE, push the fender the direction it needs to go with your hip (if you don't have someone who can help) and tighten the bolts you can reach, then the rest. Check for inner rail centering over the tire...

it's easy and common for the rear fenders on these scoots (ALL models) to be a little off centered and that means the inner rail is too... that IMO is why you got your rubbing... and you might need to set your shocks to a higher setting for 2-up... what are they at now?
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mgw12 Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:33 pm

I have never adjusted the stock shock settings on the bike since I bought it new. I bought it about 5 years ago & have about 28,000 miles on it.

mgw12

Back to top Go down

Post  mgw12 Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:33 pm

nodakbassmaster wrote:that means your fender isn't centered. Loosen up the 6 bolts going down the grab rails a LITTLE, push the fender the direction it needs to go with your hip (if you don't have someone who can help) and tighten the bolts you can reach, then the rest. Check for inner rail centering over the tire...

it's easy and common for the rear fenders on these scoots (ALL models) to be a little off centered and that means the inner rail is too... that IMO is why you got your rubbing... and you might need to set your shocks to a higher setting for 2-up... what are they at now?

...Well I just inspected the bike and YOU ARE RIGHT cheers Thr whole fender is pushed over to that side about 3/8 more to the side it rubbed on. Honestly it would have escaped most peoples eyes unless one knew to look for that!

I don't quite understand how lossening the bolts will straighten this to the other side? I will try though & Grind ! heh-heh as I don't want to have to buy another even though I have a friend that sells me tires at his cost! Very Happy

mgw12

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:49 pm

nodakbassmaster wrote:that means your fender isn't centered. Loosen up the 6 bolts going down the grab rails a LITTLE, push the fender the direction it needs to go with your hip (if you don't have someone who can help) and tighten the bolts you can reach, then the rest. Check for inner rail centering over the tire...

Good call nodak! You da' man!

....................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  mgw12 Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:42 am

twin1300 wrote:

Good call nodak! You da' man!

....................bobby

....Well it would have been nice to know before I put the tire on or going 2 up with the inner fender rail issue! drunken

mgw12

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:30 pm

could you have eye-balled it beforehand and been able to tell?

Mine was not centered either, never noticed it with the 180 and that was with a F fender that is easy to see in relation to the tire.... the R or N fenders would even harder IMO!

If I recall correctly, the shocks usually come set on 2? If you had bumped that to 4 or 5 before riding 2 up, you might not have marked the tire at all. Maybe, maybe not, and you might not have then subsequently realized your fender needs straightening!

as for loosening up all 6 mount bolts a little and pushing the fender of, that allows you to take advantage of the "play" in the mounting holes to align the fender then re-tighten. I do this after everytime I have to put the fender back on because it never goes on completely straight on it's own!
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mgw12 Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:32 pm

nodakbassmaster wrote:could you have eye-balled it beforehand and been able to tell?

Mine was not centered either, never noticed it with the 180 and that was with a F fender that is easy to see in relation to the tire.... the R or N fenders would even harder IMO!

If I recall correctly, the shocks usually come set on 2? If you had bumped that to 4 or 5 before riding 2 up, you might not have marked the tire at all. Maybe, maybe not, and you might not have then subsequently realized your fender needs straightening!

as for loosening up all 6 mount bolts a little and pushing the fender of, that allows you to take advantage of the "play" in the mounting holes to align the fender then re-tighten. I do this after everytime I have to put the fender back on because it never goes on completely straight on it's own!

Well thanks although I have NEVER taken the fender off affraid confused !

Oh my gosh THAT would be a huge deal for me Rolling Eyes Embarassed ! heh-heh

But ya never know with this DARKSIDE stuff affraid ! ha-ha-haaaaaaa! Very Happy

mgw12

Back to top Go down

Post  mgw12 Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:19 pm

The 2nd NEW TIRE is on..preload adjusted up a notch and inner fender lips ground! Did not bothe scooching the whole fender over..So it's good to go!

IMHO I would advise other NEO riders using this same tire to do a little "inner fender ear grinding" to aviod this same mishap!

Other than that I love this tire and WILL NEVER go back!..I buzzed through a twisty canyon the day (yesterday!) I had it changed and fully broke it in! I went "floorboard fast" with not issues! I swear, for this bike, it works and looks better than a MC tire.

Thanks for this site & all the help in pushing over to THE DARKSIDE! Very Happy cheers

mgw12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down