Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tire Not Seating on Rim:

+7
JFLedden
dougrollings
wayne
smokey2255
jedishon
twin1300
RIKI
11 posters

Go down

Tire Not Seating on Rim: Empty Tire Not Seating on Rim:

Post  RIKI Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:20 am

I have recently purchased a General Grabber UHP 205/70R15 from and on-line tire vendor, delivery was prompt. A friend that runs a automotive shop volunteered to mount the tire. I took the tire and newly powder coated wheel to him and we put the tire on and within a moment or two of applying air it was inflating and taking air nicely, but we could not seat the bead even at 50 PSI. We then let the air out and added more lube and reapplied air still would not seat so we applied air in 1 - 2 pound increments until we had 60 #, then reattached to air line and started to add a pound or 2 more and the side wall exploded open and looked like someone cut it open with a razor the steel band on the bead was broke clean. the next morning I sent an email to the vendor and shortly after I received a call from customer service. after sending pictures they sent a new tire agreeing this was more than likely a defective tire. Well last night I went to get the new tire mounted and again 50 pounds would not seat the bead, we broke it down several times and tried more soap, spray on silicon, and a grease especially for rubber all around the bead, still would not seat. We measured to rim bead seat diameter and compared it the the tire, the tire was about 1/2" smaller in diameter. We then measured another 15" tire and it was within 1/8" of the bead seat on the rim. We installed it and the bead seated before 30 PSI, just not my tire. I have sent an email to the tire vendor asking if he would consider and upgrade to a Michelin HydroEdge in the same size, I have searched for the Goodyear Triple Tread 205/70R15 and could only find 205/65R15. Any thoughts of what may be happening? I have read numerous post on having to put 90 +psi to seat the beads on the rims. I have never use near that to seat the bead on a tire. Please any help, enlighten me.

Richard
RIKI
RIKI

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-12-05

Back to top Go down

Tire Not Seating on Rim: Empty Re: Tire Not Seating on Rim:

Post  twin1300 Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:58 am

RIKI wrote: I have searched for the Goodyear Triple Tread 205/70R15 and could only find 205/65R15. Any thoughts of what may be happening? I have read numerous post on having to put 90 +psi to seat the beads on the rims. I have never use near that to seat the bead on a tire. Please any help, enlighten me.

Richard

Richard,

We have been up to 100 to seat my bead on my 205/65. Use ALL caution when trying to seat a bead. We use a locking air chuck and keep your distance and soon as the tire seats......use the quick connect at the compressor to release the pressure. DO NOT USE THE LOCKING AIR CHUCK TO RELEASE THE PRESSURE!

...........................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  RIKI Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:15 am

After the first tire exploded at 60 - 65 # and I was standing near the tire. The only injury was I had to throw away my under pants, scared the crap out of me. I'm not sure my nerves can take that again. Even mounting the MC tire back when it popped back in it made us both jump. IT will be a while before I can try this again. I do agree with the hands free approach. Thanks.

Richard
RIKI
RIKI

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:16 am

My Yokohama pop on at 69. I tried a grabber up to 90 by hand but got to chicken to try higher. There are people here that have gone over 100.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:13 pm

Had mine up to about 100 psi. nervous as a tenn in a hen house. Bled it off and applied vege oil, it slipped on at about 40 psi. Anytime I am seating a tire now they go in the oh shit rack in the shop. This is just a pipe type cage that the tire can stand up in as it is being inflated.
Good luck

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:49 pm

Potenza up to 115

wayne

Number of posts : 623

Back to top Go down

Post  dougrollings Thu May 13, 2010 3:50 pm

I have the General Grabber 205/70/15 0n my S model and also had to go to 100 psi to set the bead. It did not set at first. I had to let it sit in the sun for about 2 hrs. before it finally popped in. I figured it was because I am still running a tube but maybe not.

dougrollings

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-04-07

Back to top Go down

Tire Not Seating on Rim: Empty 120 lbs.

Post  JFLedden Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:06 pm

Just put on a General HP 205/65/15 on my 2004 VTX 1300 and it finally seated just over 120lbs. Not one of my friends were standing too close.

JFLedden

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:15 pm

JFLedden wrote:Just put on a General HP 205/65/15 on my 2004 VTX 1300 and it finally seated just over 120lbs. Not one of my friends were standing too close.

Yes...because at that pressure, somebody has to tell the police what happened....LOL Be careful guys! Seating beads on tires are dangerous! Seriously dangerous.

.....................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Tire Not Seating on Rim: Empty Almost there: DarkSide

Post  RIKI Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:38 am

DarkSiders, We have lift-off. Got the tire mounted last night and took it home set it up in the garage and pumped it up to about 55 PSI, give or take 5 to 10 PSI. I left it sit all night and much to my surprise this morning the bead has seated all the way around and on both sides. This weekend I will get back on the bike and take it for a ride to break it in. I will post picks when I get on the bike. Oh, almost forgot thanks guys for your post and encouragement to proceed. I did use and very thin coat of Crisco that I wiped off this morning. I dropped the pressure this morning before I left for work to about 40 PSI, there again +/- 5 - 10 PSI. I will be getting me a better air gauge this weekend. cheers

Richard
(aka. RIKI)
Soon to be a happy Darksider.
RIKI
RIKI

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:12 am

cheers Congrats!
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:28 am

A digital gauge for $8-10 is a good investment. I keep one and a repair kit and an electric pump in one of my bags.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436

Back to top Go down

Post  Sameym Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:41 am

That's not the first Grabber to do that, it happened to me and 2 others that I know of. They dont put much wire in the bead and they blow and split up the side.

Sameym

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:45 am

You are going to like the Grabber.
I have a few miles on mine and love it. 38psi is the sweet spot for me.

Ya might look at Dynabeads http://www.innovativebalancing.com/ for balancing.
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:50 am

The dirtbike shop used 70 lbs. to seat my Vredestein. I wasn't scared one bit.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  RIKI Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:36 pm

I have been riding it about a week now. It finally seated with 55 -60 psi and letting it sit overnight in a hot garage. Right now I'm running 35 psi in the tire and ride just right.

Richard
(aka. RIKI)
RIKI
RIKI

Back to top Go down

Tire Not Seating on Rim: Empty bead seating

Post  Tommy Kelly Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:21 pm

I have mounted 4 165/80/15 tires on bike rims. 3 on honda 1300's and one on a yamaha wheel. The honda's would seat out easily around 60 to 70 lbs. The yamaha took about 120lbs before it came out. I run 40psi in mine all the time and it does great. I've only put about 10000miles on this tire and it still looks almost new. This is my second car tire and I love them I will never go back to bike tires on the rear.

Tommy Kelly

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:02 am

The most I have ever had to go is 115 pounds.

If a tire blows or explodes at less the 100 lbs. I dont want it on my bike, there is something wrong with the tire. A tire tech told me, a tire can, and should be able to go to 140 to 150 with no problems, Your rim may not handle it. He said, he has had 150 lots of times, in a car rim.
I would go that high, and I dont recomend it on a mc rim. Just wanted to make that clear.

But been 110 to 115 lots of times.

wayne

Number of posts : 623

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum