Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally, I have gone to the Darkside.

5 posters

Go down

Finally, I have gone to the Darkside. Empty Finally, I have gone to the Darkside.

Post  xtradark Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:34 pm

I finally found the time to go to the darkside, at times it was a challenge, but all was overcome.
First problem, How to remove the rear wheel with out expensive equipment ? Solution, find a handy tree and sling it,then remove the wheel.
Finally, I have gone to the Darkside. Slingfromtree
Next problem how to break the bead, solution, slide it under the SUV and use the the jack, use rim protectors in case the jack slips.
Finally, I have gone to the Darkside. Beadbreaker
Next remove the old tire, advise to use gloves to prevent skinned knuckels, dont ask how I know.
Finally, I have gone to the Darkside. Removeoldtire
Comparison of the the old and new tire, I chose this tire for its rounded shoulders, its a Dunlop Le Mans, look good, so lets get on with it.
Finally, I have gone to the Darkside. Comparison
Next give the rim a real good clean to get rid of all the gunk, makes it easier for the new tire to bead.
Finally, I have gone to the Darkside. Cleantherim
Fit the new tire onto the rim, remember to put the yellow dot next to the valve, this was the easy part.
Finally, I have gone to the Darkside. Fitnewtire
Next a trip to the local gas station to set the beads, not as easy as it sounds, I finally let it sit in the sun for 30min. at 110psi. before the beads set.
Finally, I have gone to the Darkside. Setthebeads
while you have the wheel off you might as well check the rear brake linings and put new grease on the axle and bearings, then fit the wheel back to the bike and remove from the tree, this how it looks now.
Finally, I have gone to the Darkside. Fromtherear
I took a test ride at a tire pressure of 40 psi. found no problems, I am now riding at 35 psi. a more comfortable ride.
Finally, I have gone to the Darkside. Fromtheside I hope this helps future Darksiders Very Happy
xtradark
xtradark

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-09-29

Back to top Go down

Finally, I have gone to the Darkside. Empty Re: Finally, I have gone to the Darkside.

Post  jedishon Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:02 pm

Very nice write up. Thanks,

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Finally, I have gone to the Darkside. Empty Re: Finally, I have gone to the Darkside.

Post  simpleman77 Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:04 pm

Bike looks awsome with the c/t. Thanks for sharing.

Eric
simpleman77
simpleman77

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  moparmandjh Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:14 am

BRAVO, BRAVO!!! Excellent write up including pictures. You can stay! Lol

Doc
moparmandjh
moparmandjh

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2008-12-19

http://www.geocities.com/moparmandjh/rflpokerrun

Back to top Go down

Post  xtradark Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:11 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys,
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. One thing I forgot to mention in that post, was to remove the old balancing weights from the rim, you can see how many stick on weights they used on both sides of my rim to get that old tire to balance. I checked the balance of the new tire by supporting the axle on two blocks and spinning the wheel, it appears to be ok without any weights, but I hav`nt had it on the freeway at speed yet, so only time will tell.
Jonno. Very Happy
xtradark
xtradark

Back to top Go down

Post  simpleman77 Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:55 pm

If you want worry free balancing, order a couple ounces of Dyna Beads. You pop them in through the valve stem and they do the rest.

www.innovativebalancing.com

Eric
simpleman77
simpleman77

Back to top Go down

Post  xtradark Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:08 pm

simpleman77 wrote:If you want worry free balancing, order a couple ounces of Dyna Beads. You pop them in through the valve stem and they do the rest.

Eric
Yea, I read up on those dyna beads, seems to be a neat and simple way to balance, only thing is I cant find them here in Australia, so I`ll wait to see if I need to balance, then maybe buy them in from across the pond. Jonno Cool
xtradark
xtradark

Back to top Go down

Post  simpleman77 Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:16 pm

xtradark wrote:
simpleman77 wrote:If you want worry free balancing, order a couple ounces of Dyna Beads. You pop them in through the valve stem and they do the rest.

Eric
Yea, I read up on those dyna beads, seems to be a neat and simple way to balance, only thing is I cant find them here in Australia, so I`ll wait to see if I need to balance, then maybe buy them in from across the pond. Jonno Cool

I'll tell ya what, if you can't find them over there, let me know. I can get the beads and applicator for around $20 and mail postage should be around $6-$16. Let me know and I'll ship them to you.

Eric
simpleman77
simpleman77

Back to top Go down

Post  xtradark Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:26 pm

Thanks Eric,
If I need them, I`ll be sure to do that.
Jonn0 Very Happy
xtradark
xtradark

Back to top Go down

Post  Otis56 Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:29 am

wow,,super write up, amazing how you got the m/t off, I would have never thought of that. tire looks good on your bike too.

mark f
Otis56
Otis56

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  moparmandjh Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:12 am

Hey, can this be stickied?
Doc
moparmandjh
moparmandjh

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2008-12-19

http://www.geocities.com/moparmandjh/rflpokerrun

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down