Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new darksider

4 posters

Go down

new darksider Empty new darksider

Post  nav-arch Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:55 pm

I got my 205/75/15 goodyear assurance triple tread on last wednesday and went for a "test run". Actually I drove from Houston, Tx to the 4 corners and back, about 2360miles in 3.5 days. So I tested the tire in temps from 55 to 105, everything from tight twisties through the mountains to flat interstate through texas southern plains. I played with the pressure (about 36-43), steering technique, you name it.
The verdict: believe it or not the jury is still out. There are alot of things I like, and a few I still do not. I must say that travelling through one of the "sisters" (twisty texas hill country road), I still found the pegs and the grip was assuring. On the higher speed sweepers the tire felt comfortable and sure-footed also. The ride is definately smoother than my metzler.
On the negative side, the bike does not seem to fall into a turn the way it used to. It takes more countersteer all around. Maybe not so big a deal and I'll get used to it but its a little less natural feeling. Maybe even less pressure? I went down to about 36.
Also I notice that if I power out of a slow turn the rear end seams "squishy", like the tire is deflecting under load or something. I don't think its slipping, but my old dunny and metzeler never did that.
Well I've probably got another 20k miles to work out the kinks. Laughing

nav-arch

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-08-01

Back to top Go down

new darksider Empty Re: new darksider

Post  Badmoon Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:21 am

Welcome.
I think that you will find that you are overthinking the tire. I did for sure. Yes there is some differences that are noticable but as time passed and I got the pressures to my likeing I dont even feel the tire back there. I am actually riding my bike harder. My hard parts are showing signs of wear. Actually I find that I am riding my bike harder and I have yet to slip in a turn. I know that I will get it but I have not yet. Just give it a little more time. Relax and enjoy the ride.

The mind is a terrivle thing to waste. It is also a Lair.

Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:53 am

Don't know about a 75 series. I think you might be the first one to try it. A few more pounds of air will get rid of the squishies but give you a little bumpier ride. That was quite a test run.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:21 am

I forgot to mention that before. I agree about the test ride. That is and was a test ride and a great review. I would like to know how it went in more detail as to help you better understand your issues.

Congrats

Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:11 pm

Great review! Thanks

The more countersteer is a plus when you get used to it! Any wider tire including a wider motorcycle tire requires more counter steer! That is the real trade off!

Everything else can be correct with air pressure to match your riding style.

..................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down