Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

...... lasted 7 months..

+4
twin1300
Mad Meteor
robw
DS-Wing-Nut
8 posters

Go down

...... lasted 7 months.. Empty ...... lasted 7 months..

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:00 pm

I installed my NEW Kumho CT on my Wing 7 months ago and it's time for a new one already......

But...........

SHE's got 18,000 + miles on her and I've got about another 1,000 miles left till I'm into the wear bars and I will be changing it to a new one.....

WOW..... what a great tire and some great rides she's given me.....

I look at this tire with Dynabeads and I can't believe how EVEN the tread is wearing.... I will take pics and give a final mileage when I remove it....

Just thought I'd give an update.... Happy Camper here....
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

...... lasted 7 months.. Empty Re: ...... lasted 7 months..

Post  robw Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:42 pm

Glad to see you're getting good mileage. That's the main reason I went with a CT. By the looks of mine I should at least get that much, hopefully more.
robw
robw

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Meteor Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:47 pm

Glad to hear you were happy with it.

I got 19,000 miles out of a 195/55 Toyo T1-R and 18,000 miles out of a 205/55 Conti ProContact SSR. Currently running a 195/65 Conti Vanco II. Hope to see equivalent or higher mileage for this one.

Even if I weren’t getting this type of mileage I’d still be riding a car tire because they have proven to me to have better traction under all conditions than the motorcycle tires I’ve used.
Mad Meteor
Mad Meteor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:26 pm

Sure beats about 6000 miles on a motorcycle tire!....................... Laughing

........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:46 pm

twin1300 wrote:Sure beats about 6000 miles on a motorcycle tire!....................... Laughing

........................bobby

That is what I am screamin. I thought my clutches were going. Come to find out that the tire (MC) was slipping. I dang sure dont hit it hard like I used to. That thing sticks now. I pulled a Muntz without the ending that he had. Looked good I was told but it was not intentional just the same.

Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  grampa Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:58 am

When I put my first Conti 195/55 ssr on I thought that with the 400 tread rating it would last for 24-25k. After the first 12k the tread just disappeared, just over 17,000 to the wear marks. Had another one and put it on and ordered a Kumho 195/55 RF, just got it put on my spare rim last week. Ride a lot on chip and seal roads, that might have a lot to do with the wear, don't ride to aggressive either.

grampa

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Meteor Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:04 pm

Grampa,
You got 17,000 miles of worry-free, smooth riding on a run-flat tire with better traction than a standard motorcycle tire. For about 80% of the cost of a motorcycle tire you got about 125% of the wear.
Sounds like a deal to me.

BTW, the Kumho has become just about the most popular CT in use on a Gold Wing. I'm sure you'll like it as well or better than the Conti.
Mad Meteor
Mad Meteor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Back to top Go down

...... lasted 7 months.. Empty car tire mileage ?

Post  Cyclepath Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:59 am

ok you guys. i was wondering about the mileage you all have been getting from your car tires. the main reason i was considering going to the dark side was the mileage. as you know it's a pain in the arse to get at a tire on the gl-1500. so i have been reading through these threads and have found you guys seem to be getting around 17,000 to 19,000 miles out of your car tires.
i have a 1993 goldwing gl1500 and have found a couple of tires that are supposed to work. however at only 19,000 miles and you are replacing tires i would be better off with the stock dunlop k-177. i have almost 24,000 miles on this last tire and i prolly have about another 1000 miles or so before it's wasted. the last tire i had was a E-3 and it had 18,000 miles on it. so what's with the low mileage figures on your car tires ???? lots of chip seal out here and i ride pretty aggressively so i am not babying my tires. also lots of long trips with full camping gear and two up. the cost on a dunlop k-177 is only 126.00 dollars.

cyclepath
Cyclepath
Cyclepath

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

...... lasted 7 months.. Empty re car tire mileage

Post  Larry Simpson Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:18 am

Cyclepath wrote:ok you guys. i was wondering about the mileage you all have been getting from your car tires. the main reason i was considering going to the dark side was the mileage. as you know it's a pain in the arse to get at a tire on the gl-1500. so i have been reading through these threads and have found you guys seem to be getting around 17,000 to 19,000 miles out of your car tires.
i have a 1993 goldwing gl1500 and have found a couple of tires that are supposed to work. however at only 19,000 miles and you are replacing tires i would be better off with the stock dunlop k-177. i have almost 24,000 miles on this last tire and i prolly have about another 1000 miles or so before it's wasted. the last tire i had was a E-3 and it had 18,000 miles on it. so what's with the low mileage figures on your car tires ???? lots of chip seal out here and i ride pretty aggressively so i am not babying my tires. also lots of long trips with full camping gear and two up. the cost on a dunlop k-177 is only 126.00 dollars.

cyclepath
I would say you are having very good luck,the best I ever got out of my goldwing was 9000 so I would say stay with what you are doing scratch scratch
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyclepath Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:05 pm

Larry Simpson wrote:
Cyclepath wrote:ok you guys. i was wondering about the mileage you all have been getting from your car tires. the main reason i was considering going to the dark side was the mileage. as you know it's a pain in the arse to get at a tire on the gl-1500. so i have been reading through these threads and have found you guys seem to be getting around 17,000 to 19,000 miles out of your car tires.

cyclepath
I would say you are having very good luck,the best I ever got out of my goldwing was 9000 so I would say stay with what you are doing scratch scratch

hi larry. i don't do anything special except keep my tires inflated to 41 psi cold and check them often. i was hoping to get 35,000 or 40,000 miles on a car tire like you do when installed on you car. maybe i am just dreaming but it seems i have read this kinda mileage on a bike with car tires somewhere but i'll be danged if i can remember where. anyway i like the supposed benefits of the car tire and was hoping to try one and i still might if i can find a suitable one close to the same diameter as the stock wing tire.

cyclepath
Cyclepath
Cyclepath

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

...... lasted 7 months.. Empty re lasted seven months

Post  Larry Simpson Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:48 pm

Well I always ran 36 in mine and generaly was riding double with bags and trunk fully loaded,I suppose that could make the difference.I wish I had given the car tires some thought then but it never came up on radar.I also beleive you would enjoy the difference and when you get that kind of mileage on a mc tire there is no telling what you would get on ct.I have about 9000 on my gytt on the nomad and it still looks new.I was doing about 8-9000 on the mc tire on it too before switching. RIDE SAFE Larry S. Very Happy Very Happy
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down