Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THe Gold Wing is going to the Darkside.... Hopefully.

3 posters

Go down

THe Gold Wing is going to the Darkside.... Hopefully. Empty THe Gold Wing is going to the Darkside.... Hopefully.

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:32 pm

I say hopefully as I have three other tires to work on before i do the Wing.

Steve-0 is coming over and so is Onei (Brad) to take his 1800 to the darkside.

1. first tire is the shadow going back to a MT to sell.
2. Steve-O 's shadow - we will be getting his Falken tire mounted !!
3. Onei (Brad) will be going darkside on his 1800.

then finally I will take the Wing to the Darkside. I had such good results with a Kumho like many others here have that I figured I couldn't go wrong with a KUMHO on the wing. there are several wing riders on the gl1800 site as well as one here that I've seen.

here is the tire I will be using. it is a Kumho 195/55/16 RF

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?rc=TXDINT&cf=false&c=1&sw=false&cs=195&pc=33729&rd=16&ar=55&tc=KUMHF2&rf=true

this is a pricier tire than we are use too for our cruisers but.... compared to a MT for the GL1800 it's nothing!

I hope to take good pictures and document the process the best I can.

THe Gold Wing is going to the Darkside.... Hopefully. Kumhf2.xl
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

THe Gold Wing is going to the Darkside.... Hopefully. Empty Re: THe Gold Wing is going to the Darkside.... Hopefully.

Post  horseman8m Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:48 am

great looking tire it is going to look good on the wing, let us know how it goes and how it feels.
Have you thought about your name change now you got a wing?
good luck ,
Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

THe Gold Wing is going to the Darkside.... Hopefully. Empty Thanks... how about........

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:57 am

horseman8m wrote:great looking tire it is going to look good on the wing, let us know how it goes and how it feels.
Have you thought about your name change now you got a wing?
good luck ,
Horse

How about ...... "Darkside-Wing-Nut or just "DSWN" or "DS-Wing-Nut" Suggestions???
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Back to top Go down

THe Gold Wing is going to the Darkside.... Hopefully. Empty Re: THe Gold Wing is going to the Darkside.... Hopefully.

Post  horseman8m Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:06 am

sounds good Wing-Nut , yep that's catchy .
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

THe Gold Wing is going to the Darkside.... Hopefully. Empty Done!!

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:14 pm

Put me on the GL1800 Darkside list!

It is mounted and I love it. I didn't realize how much I missed the CT ride. I love the KUMHO Run Flat 195/55/16 I have on the Gold Wind now!! j

Ok... here's the story:

( I didn't get any pictures taken, except for the final of the tire mounted and on the bike.) Why.... well after the long day of dismounting and mounting other tires today... I decided to take the wheel off of the Goldwing... pull the valve stem and CALL my local Honda dealer in town. I fibbed a bit on the phone. I told the service manager I had bought a new rim for my Goldwing Trailer and I needed a new tire mounted. I told him it was a "Conventional" tire. (Car Tire) and that I just needed the rubber removed from the rim and the new tire put on. I also told him they didni't even need to worry about seating the bead and/or balancing it. He said ok.. Didn't ask anymore questions. So, I get there and write up the service order ticket sign it and one of the mechanics takes the tires back and gets started. I wanted to time him just for grins... So, about 5 minutes later he comes out and asks what side is this wheel going to go on as it's a directional tire?? I had to think a minute on that one ..... really caught me off guard.. I finally figured it out after remember how the lug nuts went on, etc... My answer... "Left Side"!! Ok... and 5-8 minutes later he was back and had the tire mounted, bead set and balanced! I was shocked... NO I know the trick...... at least for my Goldwing that is.... It's a trailer tire (left side) and please mount and balance!! Laughing Now I can continue mounting my front tires by myself... but from now on all i will do is remove the wheel and take it and the new one to my dealer and let them do it. The mechanic didn't even question or have any problems seating the bead or balancing... Man... would have been cussing and stressed out... I don't think I could have even got the tire on the rim... I really wish I could have seen the tire machine in action. I imagine its all hydraulic and/or air driven.. but It must make easy work of it..cuz it was done in no time!

The ride is fantastic!! I am running 32psi to begin with and I will probably stay with it for a while and then try running between 30 and 32.

So.... I guess I can go change my screen name now...

Had a Great day and on top of all the tire work... I'm pretty sure I sold the Shadow and they even want to keep it on the 'Darkside" so I didn't even have to change the tire!! woohoo! Yea! its' Sold.
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:09 am

Had a great day with David yesterday. Good to meet OneI. Was good to see David sell his old Shadow. Someone got a great deal.

Think I'll write up separately on all the stuff we did trying to get the Falken seated..... Wonder if the dealer could have gotten it seated? We'll never know. Let me know which lake you throw that tire in. Very Happy
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down