Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My New Kumho

5 posters

Go down

My New Kumho Empty My New Kumho

Post  MechE Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:08 pm

Just for grins I thought I would post a pic of my new Kumho on my bike. I have about 600 miles on it in the last three weeks and it sure is fun to ride. Can't wait to try the Wideside!

My New Kumho 1875Kumho_on_Bike2-thumb

My New Kumho 18751-thumb

Keep the Faith,

MechE

MechE

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

My New Kumho Empty Re: My New Kumho

Post  grizak Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:14 am

glad you like it. I put 12k on mine before I went wideside. I probley could have gotten another 6k out of it, as there is still lots of tread left. good luck and enjoy Very Happy
My New Kumho 7563wideside2
grizak
grizak

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

My New Kumho Empty Opinion

Post  MechE Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:55 am

Grizak,

I thought there was very little difference between the m/c and c/t, essentially a no-brainer. Although the Wideside probably has been commented on another post, I would still like to get your opinion on going even wider. At the price of this tire, I might even do it sooner if I can get better performance beyond the obvious good looks. Pros? Con? Thanks for any thoughts.

Keep the Faith,

MechE

MechE

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:13 pm

Well, I just found my next tire....I think!..... Very Happy You ready for this...It'a Douglas Performance tire and it's a .............215/60/15.. Shocked Shocked Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I got pics of it and will post them Monday!

......................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

My New Kumho Empty Wow

Post  MechE Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:21 pm

Just when I thought it couldn't get any wider drunken Bobby, you've really gotten my attention now. If anybody can pull it off, with your knowledge and experience, you can do it. Just be careful. Couple of other interesting points: It is now snowing outside Rolling Eyes but not sticking Wink and I hope to get a job, and get this, as an Engineer working for a company making laser measurement machines of the tires coming off of the assembly line. Will see how it goes and I will let you know.

Keep the Faith,

MechE

Beautiful Chagrin Falls in NE Ohio

MechE

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:25 pm

Hey MechE,

I measured it and I got the room for it!!!!!!!! Just keep watching! I might just bite the bullet and buy it for the heck of it and mount it!!!!!!!!!!!! WIDERside.....wwoooooohhooooo! Of course since I have let the cat out the bag, somebody else may get to it before I do.

..............bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:01 pm

So much for the myth of longer life with a darkside tire, you never run one long enough to see how long it would last Smile

george
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Warlock Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:28 pm

twin1300 wrote:Well, I just found my next tire....I think!..... Very Happy You ready for this...It'a Douglas Performance tire and it's a .............215/60/15.. Shocked Shocked Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The only problem you might run into on is the drive shaft. I know on some of the guys running it on the Valkyries had to take a hammer and bend the drive shaft cover in some to keep it from rubbing. It might not have this problem with the 1300"s. I know on my 205/55/16 is real close to my drive shaft on my Valkyrie.
David

Warlock

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  grizak Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:21 pm

MechE wrote:Grizak,

I thought there was very little difference between the m/c and c/t, essentially a no-brainer. Although the Wideside probably has been commented on another post, I would still like to get your opinion on going even wider. At the price of this tire, I might even do it sooner if I can get better performance beyond the obvious good looks. Pros? Con? Thanks for any thoughts.

Keep the Faith,

MechE
So far I really like this 205/65-15. i have 658 miles on it. I am just now getting the mold release worn off. I am starting to push the corners harder now. I have ridden in the rain on one ocasion. it was not a toad floater so I did not get to test it well. As far as going wider. I can not see any bennifits other than looks. I have almost 1/2 inch between the drive shaft and the tire. I know of some 1800 riders that are using wider tires with no problems. I might try the 205/70-15 someday What a Face
it would make the stock spedo more accurite. right now it is only 3-4 mph off. I use my Gps for checking my speed so I hardly ever look at the speedo any more Very Happy this going wider is kinda uncharted terratory on the 1300's. So whatever you decide, Good Luck and may God bless..
grizak
grizak

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:03 pm

Warlock wrote:
twin1300 wrote:Well, I just found my next tire....I think!..... Very Happy You ready for this...It'a Douglas Performance tire and it's a .............215/60/15.. Shocked Shocked Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The only problem you might run into on is the drive shaft. I know on some of the guys running it on the Valkyries had to take a hammer and bend the drive shaft cover in some to keep it from rubbing. It might not have this problem with the 1300"s. I know on my 205/55/16 is real close to my drive shaft on my Valkyrie.
David

Hey David,

We seem to have more room than the Valk's and 1800's on the 1300. I know it sounds crazy, but the 1800's have about 1/4" or less and I have about 3/4" on both sides of my tire to the swingarm on my 1300 with my 205. So, you know me......I got to just do something nobody else does.... Very Happy Very Happy

What the downside...hehehehe That it don't work. Oh, well then I would know, but if it did work! It would be bad to the bone.

...................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:09 pm

gstanfield wrote:So much for the myth of longer life with a darkside tire, you never run one long enough to see how long it would last Smile

george

I know, I know! I am a poor excuse of longevity on the life of the Darkside in mileage.....but I am committed to the Darkside style. You gotta give me that, George! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

But I don't worry about it not lasting long enough, till I find another one. I buy one out of looks instead of man, I got to buy one soon, because my motorcycle tire is gone.

.............bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:49 pm

Here's the pics of what I really want called the "Widerside"...hehehehe It's a Douglas 215/60/15! Sorry for the pic quality, it's this stupid cell phone camera.

My New Kumho Img167

My New Kumho Img170

My New Kumho Img168

................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

My New Kumho Empty Wider Side Tire

Post  MechE Sat May 03, 2008 11:46 am

Bobby -

After you mount and try this tire, please let me know how it rides, speedo rate, how loud it is..etc. I'm running the heck out of my Kumho right now and love it. But next winter I just might, hmm...

MechE

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down