Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My opinion on V&H Bigshots.Whats yours?

4 posters

Go down

My opinion on V&H Bigshots.Whats yours? Empty My opinion on V&H Bigshots.Whats yours?

Post  lovingmyhondavtx Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:44 am

Hey there everyone.
I have bought a Vance & Hines Bigshots for my bike.
They was order almost a month before receiving them.(Pretty busy time for motorcycle parts thou)Two days later I found the time to put them on.
I first noticed that they say the baffles or removable,but fail to tell you that you have to decide,if you want them removed before you even get the exhaust installed,to hear what it sounds like.
Because they tell you to put the heat shields on before you install the exhaust on the bike.Well the heat shields covers the screw that takes the baffles out by about 6".
Needed the nut welded to outside the screw would then unscrew from the inside & the nut would stay in place until the screw could be replaced.
So I went ahead and put them on with the baffles in (because my wife rides once in a while,she don`t like it real loud) but when I`m riding solo I would like it a little louder.
I guess I could take the heat shield on and off every time she rides just to changed the baffles,I mean after 20 times or so I think I`d be getting pretty fast at it. LOL.
The next problem was with the exhaust bracket that replaces the OEM one.It was up a little higher than the exhaust.Which meant the exhaust was to be pulled up to match the holes in bracket while reaching behind the exhaust to install the dogbone nut in the slide bracket that the bolt would then go into once through the bracket.Every time the bolt would hit it,the nut would move or want to cross thread.The nut should have been welded to the bracket before it was welded to the pipe to begin with.It was almost a week after I put them on,before I got to ride it.
Went out got it out of shed started it up (sounds alot better than stock with the baffles/still debating on baffles thou) & after letting it warm up,I took it down the road about 8-10 miles before returning home.It performed real well.I was starting to forgive V&H for the baffle screw placement.
But then found another issue,Then another.
The bottom right side of the right cover that goes over my fuse panel was starting to melt.Where the heat shield doesn't go all the way around the pipe at this point.
One would think that as many exhaust as V&H has made for several different applications they would not over look these small be critical point of interest to the consumer. (especially when they cost $400-$600 a piece).I mean it would take a 3" X 6" appox.of chrome guard to snap or clip in place to cover it.
The last problem with the V&H is the power chamber that connects the two pipes in the middle.
After just 8-10 miles it is starting to turn blue/orange.It should give a nice accent to the chrome on the exhaust....LOL.....that is if it`s still there after my next short ride.Again a 1" or 2" X 4" piece of chrome guard would easily cover it. Come-on V&H .
I really not sure if I was to take them on a couple hundred mile trip, if they would still be on there when I arrived.

I would also like advice on any of these problems that I've mentioned,especially the side cover....Thank Again.....In Advance....lovingmyhondavtx

lovingmyhondavtx

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Back to top Go down

My opinion on V&H Bigshots.Whats yours? Empty Re: My opinion on V&H Bigshots.Whats yours?

Post  Toasted_311 Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:06 am

Recheck the torque for the header nuts on the exhaust...they'll work lose and require retighten.

IN fact, do as alot of us have done...normal 8mm stainless exhaust nut and washer and then the acorn nut on top of that.

My HKs melted the cover too...because the aftermarket exhaust flanges aren't as thick as the OEM ones...thus using two nuts...torque the first one down to proper spec and then a jam nut.

Trust me on this...mine kept working loose...finely fixed it right with extra nuts.

No more rattles...no more annoying pops/backfiring and the cover didn't melt anymore. Very Happy

As for the discoloration...you might need to tweak the AF screw...do you have a aftermarket intake?
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-12-14

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

My opinion on V&H Bigshots.Whats yours? Empty Re: My opinion on V&H Bigshots.Whats yours?

Post  lovingmyhondavtx Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:57 am

Hey there, I do have a Hypercharger installed now but at the time it was OEM intake.I have not checked the nut again ,yet,but I will & post back.
It ran good with the the OEM air intake with the exhaust.
When I put the Hypercharger on it,I done the scar mod. & adjusted the A/F screw as discussed.Didn't have to adjust it much,& it was running good.Ran it down the road about 4 miles this time as it was cold outside...it seemed to run perfect.
If it seems to run good how do I know if it is right? Could it still need adjustment? Let me know what you'll think...
As always thanks in advance....because you'll seem to always be there..
P.S. I called Kury yesterday to ask a question about the hypercharger,I got a voice note that said business hours is M-F 8:00a-5:00p call in between this times.
I`m seatting there with my bike apart on Saturday morning thinking how much would it cost to hire a tech for over the weekend? The question wasn't real hard just mostly wanting to double check.
Anyway anough said for now Thanks again....lovingmyhondavtx

lovingmyhondavtx

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:50 pm

What's your Hyper question? I've got it on my bike as well.

Only way to tell if it's spot on is running it....ride around checking the throttle repsonse at different speeds/gears and how the bike acts...spitting/sputtering/hesitation there's a tweak still needed.

How many shims did you use? How many turns on the AF screw?

I've got the Hyper ProR and the HK3s...2 shims, cut the spring per the Scar mod, and 2.5 turns on the AF screw...runs like a scalded dog.....acts a little up when I'm going into a very very strong head wind though....40+ winds plus my speed....but I commute so I ride in all kinds of weather...only time it acts up is when it's very very windy.

You coming to Hot Springs for the Rally?
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:59 pm

I love my V & H Bigshots. I had my bike delivered with them on without baffles and the carb jetted by the dealer.
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  lovingmyhondavtx Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:28 am

Toasted_311 wrote:What's your Hyper question? I've got it on my bike as well.

Only way to tell if it's spot on is running it....ride around checking the throttle repsonse at different speeds/gears and how the bike acts...spitting/sputtering/hesitation there's a tweak still needed.

How many shims did you use? How many turns on the AF screw?

I've got the Hyper ProR and the HK3s...2 shims, cut the spring per the Scar mod, and 2.5 turns on the AF screw...runs like a scalded dog.....acts a little up when I'm going into a very very strong head wind though....40+ winds plus my speed....but I commute so I ride in all kinds of weather...only time it acts up is when it's very very windy.

You coming to Hot Springs for the Rally?

I was wondering if the hose they were referring to the C hose was the vacuum line ,it looked like it was but further inspection I found it was not...Did you have any problem installing it,because I had a few.
First I didn't like picking up on the carb to match the holes in bracket (same as with exhaust).2nd the manifold piece had a burr in the threaded hole where the 90 degree elbow went,I simply took a small screw driver to it (no real big deal there).3rd the other 90 degree elbow was not the same size as hole in back piece of the hypercharger,the elbow was slightly larger,I cut some of the thread off to get it started then applied pressure as I turn it to cut new threads in plastic elbow.4th the tee fitting was to big for my vacuum hose,(so it lead me to believe I had cut the wrong hose)I had some hose & another tee from a wind shield washer kit I'd bought earlier this year for my truck.Good thing because the instruction said to cut a 9" piece from hose in kit I did that,should have used the whole thing,about 12",the piece I cut was to short.Guess my placement of the tee was to far back.But I ended up with a extra bracket that I later figured out went to my idle screw was not in the instruction as to where it went,I put it on the bottom main bracket....the last thing was not really a big deal either but made no sense to me.When I looked at the off set in the top cap for the carb,I place the brackets on it with the polished side out (knowing how the cap went from scar mod) when I tried to mount it to jugs they was on backwards,so when I flipped them over the polished side was towards the inside of the motor...Good thing the spark plug covers almost covered the whole thing..They must not have a Q.C. Tech there at all...
But I rode it to Conway today then back thru Shirley,over a 100 miles ran excellent..
I put three shims & turned it out 2 1/2 turn to start ,but it would smoke a little blue smoke if you let it set for a minute then throttled it.then again when it went back down to idle,just a little so I ended up turning back in 1/4 turn ran excellent.
I also cut the spring worked perfect..more pleased with the out come of the scar mod then anything else...(no problems & it was free Well the cost of washers 1.39 RS)
About the rally I`m not sure if I`ll be able,work is starting to pick back up at Mohawk Flooring so may be working .....need to get the O.T. when I can ....When is it?
Still would like a suggestions on side cover.......Checked the head bolts still tight I'll get the extra nuts in the morning for the jam nuts.
Thanks for the Information,you'll are real helpful.......Ride Safe.....lovingmyhondavtx

lovingmyhondavtx

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:36 am

No problem...i'll have to grab the install sheet and get some daylight and look at my install...the elbow didn't give me any issues and they all fit where they should...sounds like that one might have missed QC.

Rally is April 17th-20th in Mt Ida....links and all the info are in the "ride" section.
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:03 pm

FWIW, I was pretty happy qwith my HK 2.5" strippers for the first year. Then with about 8,000 miles on them they decided to start cracking and cracked in three places pretty huge. Sounded like crap and was spewing hot exhaust gasses on the side of my engine and bike in three places. I had to replace them and the Cobras I have now are awsome. With the Cobra pipes I can remove the baffles in about 5 minutes or so, they have a lifetime warrenty on the chrome and sound awsome.

Sorry you're not happy with your pipes, I know how bad it sucks to be dissapointed with something that costs that much dough.

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  lovingmyhondavtx Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:59 am

gstanfield wrote:FWIW, I was pretty happy qwith my HK 2.5" strippers for the first year. Then with about 8,000 miles on them they decided to start cracking and cracked in three places pretty huge. Sounded like crap and was spewing hot exhaust gasses on the side of my engine and bike in three places. I had to replace them and the Cobras I have now are awsome. With the Cobra pipes I can remove the baffles in about 5 minutes or so, they have a lifetime warrenty on the chrome and sound awsome.

Sorry you're not happy with your pipes, I know how bad it sucks to be dissapointed with something that costs that much dough.

George

Once I got them on (after all the trouble) I`m happy with the way they sound, But it seems they need alot of improvements made.
IMO If you want to to be #1 at something,you got to be willing to listen to the issues the customers are having & try to improve it...don't make something today & then start making it in mass production next week...Go the extra mile to test it...I know I`m not the only one having these problems....maybe me being a Q.C. Tech may have something to do with it,maybe I exspect to much...

Everyone Ride Safe.......lovingmyhondavtx

lovingmyhondavtx

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down