Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with mounting a car tire?

+7
smokey2255
nodakbassmaster
grizak
twin1300
Jonny Joha
wayne
ps83begins@aim.com
11 posters

Go down

Help with mounting a car tire? Empty Help with mounting a car tire?

Post  ps83begins@aim.com Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:21 am

Howdy and thanks for the invite to this forum!
Well I bought a 195/65/15 zexius for my 03 Retro spoke. Got the tire on the rim no problem. I have filled it with 125 lbs. from my home compressor (All it can muster).
But the tire bead has not seated. Both sides in the same spot on the rim. I used silicone spray lube liberally. I have received some suggestions over on the VTXOA site. Thought I would give it a try here also. Thanks for all your help in advance!
Curtis

ps83begins@aim.com

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-04-05

Back to top Go down

Help with mounting a car tire? Empty Re: Help with mounting a car tire?

Post  wayne Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:47 am

First of all DO NOT PUT THAT MUCH AIR IN THE TIRE.
If it blows you will be looking for a new rim, or a new face, it is very dangerous.
Some may chime in about that part of the tire blowing.

I would take the tire off the rim and clean the rim up, inspect it very carefully.
Then seal the rim and remount

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonny Joha Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:17 pm

i used corn oil to lube the tire. havent heard of silicon but it probably won't react with the rubber so you should be good. I used 100psi. the tire would get stuck in one spot on each side but you can push on the tire so it will get stuck i another spot if you do it many times you might find a spot that works. when the tire set on the rim there was no pop but the tire looked like it was going to come off the rim. you might need to use 100 psi to set it but get it out as quick as you can. I used a tube on my shadow 600 spoke rim nexan 165-80-15. if it doesn't go on the first time try again I was at it for about an hour or so. just think about safty. don't have abunch a people standing around watchin...good luck.

Jonny Joha

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:44 pm

It's NOT how much pressure you can put on it to seat it....It's how fast will the air get to the tire so momentum will seat the bead.

I usually tell every one to wash the tire from previous seating and get the sticky of soap off by washing the rim with a water hose and rag. Secondly when you do do the cooking oil thing is you use your hands and do all the rim and up the side walls and NOT just the seat area. I go about two inches up the tire from the bead all around the tire on both sides.

**Important notice...if you are doing by yourself then use a "clip on" air chuck....DO NOT HOLD IT BY HAND AND TRY TO AIR IT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***** Clip it on the the tire and get away from it while the bead is seating and get ready as soon as it pops to un-couple the air line from the compressor and then up undo the "clip on" air chuck from the tire.

The reason why car tires are SO hard to seat on a narrow rim is the rubber is so soft, so therefore it gives us great traction on twisties and stopping! Well, if it grips so good on the asphalt, then it will grip the rim also with great traction and NOT let it seat!
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  grizak Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:21 pm

[quote="ps83begins"]Howdy and thanks for the invite to this forum!
Well I bought a 195/65/15 zexius for my 03 Retro spoke. Got the tire on the rim no problem. I have filled it with 125 lbs. from my home compressor (All it can muster).
But the tire bead has not seated. Both sides in the same spot on the rim. I used silicone spray lube liberally. I have received some suggestions over on the VTXOA site. Thought I would give it a try here also. Thanks for all your help in advance!
Curtis[/quote

First off welcome to the fourm Very Happy
I have a 05 1300S And I have experienced the same problems. I am even going to go out on a limb here and say, if you are using a tube it can not be done. I have blown 1 tire and damaged the rim. I could be proven wrong. And if some one learns a trick to do this let us know . The tube in the tire does not put pressure on the bead.
I feel that in order to put a wideside tire on a spoke rim. you will have to seal the rim and go tubeless. good luck Griz
grizak
grizak

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  ps83begins@aim.com Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:45 pm

Well again thank you folks for all your input.
Here's what I have tried. Let out all the air, (One side has seated by the way) soaped the heck out of it and re-aired (no luck) did it again and moved the tire so a new spot on the rim was stuck still no luck. Then tried this two more times. still no enchilada. Put the bike back together with the unseated tire bead, rode the bike 40 miles and still no luck. I do have the tube in it. I did silicone seal the rim. Maybe I'll have to remove the tube and try it tubeless. Wow this darkside deal is a real adventure. Oh and by the way also, even with the tire not mounted properly, the bike felt better to me than with any bike tires I have ever run. It will be special when it's mounted properly.

ps83begins@aim.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:03 am

good luck with it!
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:29 am

ps83begins wrote:Well again thank you folks for all your input.
Here's what I have tried. Let out all the air, (One side has seated by the way) soaped the heck out of it and re-aired (no luck) did it again and moved the tire so a new spot on the rim was stuck still no luck. Then tried this two more times. still no enchilada. Put the bike back together with the unseated tire bead, rode the bike 40 miles and still no luck. I do have the tube in it. I did silicone seal the rim. Maybe I'll have to remove the tube and try it tubeless. Wow this darkside deal is a real adventure. Oh and by the way also, even with the tire not mounted properly, the bike felt better to me than with any bike tires I have ever run. It will be special when it's mounted properly.

Dont run it unseated. Take the time and aggravation of making it seat on the rim before you run it. Do not invite disaster into your life. If you have to unseat it 15 times before it seats do it,
Don't want to see a bro go down in flames before the car tire ignites on its own Laughing

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:10 am

I'd check with a friend or someone and see if anyone has a cheater seater(I think that's what it's called). Like Twin said, you may get it up to 125, but if it pressures up really slow, the tire will grip the rim just as good as the tire will grip the wet roads. Use a cheater seater to basically throw a huge volume of air in the tire very fast. Seating the first tire can be a real experience. After one time at it, you'll feel like a pro!
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:01 pm

there's always the old 4 wheelers method of using starting fluid and a match... Laughing Laughing
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:16 pm

remove the valve core then use a clip on chuck the air has a free flow (faster) into your tire or tube that is what we do in the big aircraft tires . Once seated then install the core and air up to normal pressure.
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:12 am

horseman8m wrote:remove the valve core then use a clip on chuck the air has a free flow (faster) into your tire or tube that is what we do in the big aircraft tires . Once seated then install the core and air up to normal pressure.

+1 This will get you the flow you need to seat the tire by removing the valve core....horseman is correct that this would help!

....................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  ps83begins@aim.com Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:18 pm

First to all the posters that had helpful suggestions Thanks very much!

Well here's the result.

The solution after trying everyone's ideas, was this. I stacked some plywood into a box , lubed up the tire bead with Comfrey salve (which my wife makes as a topical skin treatment), put a dish style radiant heater about 6" away from the wheel in the box and 80 psi in the tire. Went to work, When I got home in the afternoon the tire was seated!!! This worked for me maybe it might help someone else. Thanks Again All!
Curtis

ps83begins@aim.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:15 pm

kick @ss! Thanks for following up!
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:54 pm

good job , whatever works for you, that was smart using a heater, not only making the air press rise but the rubber softer. send pics after you get it on the bike. plz cheers
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:05 am

oh yeah, that too!
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:53 am

nodakbassmaster wrote:there's always the old 4 wheelers method of using starting fluid and a match... Laughing Laughing

This don't work anymore unless you have some old cans of starting fluid. The stuff you get now is "safe" it wont blow like the good ole days. Now it just burns ........ tried it on a gokart tire. Bad deal that was.
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:43 am

ps83begins@aim.com wrote:First to all the posters that had helpful suggestions Thanks very much!

Well here's the result.

The solution after trying everyone's ideas, was this. I stacked some plywood into a box , lubed up the tire bead with Comfrey salve (which my wife makes as a topical skin treatment), put a dish style radiant heater about 6" away from the wheel in the box and 80 psi in the tire. Went to work, When I got home in the afternoon the tire was seated!!! This worked for me maybe it might help someone else. Thanks Again All!
Curtis

If if makes you feel any better, I had the same problem earlier this year and gave up. Still have the tire. (put a 165 on instead which went on without a hitch) Was going to wait till this summer, air it up, leave it in the 105 degree sun, and see what happened. Now, methinks this idea might just work. Thanks for the follow up.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  mark_1bx Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:08 am

Good morning!
First I'd like to say don't use any oil / petroleum based product on any tire, and that includes silicone.
Oil base products react to the rubber in the tire and can cause cracking and deterioration.
What you should use is a vegetable based lubricant such as Murphy's oil soap or a lanolin product.

Video: http://www.nomartirechanger.com/video/show/22

Pay attention to the mounting process and the lubrication of the tire and the wheel. See where the lube goes. NEVER fill a tire to the high pressures mentioned in the above post. I know of people that have been killed doing this. ( My buddy owned a tire shop. Two people died from over filling a tire. I also had a childhood friend die from the same. We were all playing on the tire. I was lucky....I left to do other things)

I have a No-Mar tire machine and I've now mounted many C/T's but NOT a 15" . Hopefully I'll get one this summer to play with.

Anybody in my area for any reason that needs any help ........I'd be happy to be of any assistants.
mark_1bx
mark_1bx

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:11 am

mark_1bx wrote:Good morning!
First I'd like to say don't use any oil / petroleum based product on any tire, and that includes silicone.
Oil base products react to the rubber in the tire and can cause cracking and deterioration.
What you should use is a vegetable based lubricant such as Murphy's oil soap or a lanolin product.

Video: http://www.nomartirechanger.com/video/show/22

Pay attention to the mounting process and the lubrication of the tire and the wheel. See where the lube goes. NEVER fill a tire to the high pressures mentioned in the above post. I know of people that have been killed doing this. ( My buddy owned a tire shop. Two people died from over filling a tire. I also had a childhood friend die from the same. We were all playing on the tire. I was lucky....I left to do other things)

I have a No-Mar tire machine and I've now mounted many C/T's but NOT a 15" . Hopefully I'll get one this summer to play with.

Anybody in my area for any reason that needs any help ........I'd be happy to be of any assistants.

Mark, where you located?
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mark_1bx Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:44 pm

Sorry Bartlett IL
630-483-8346 H
mark_1bx
mark_1bx

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:52 pm

Thanks Mark.

Anyone in central illinois I have a guy in Effingham that will mount em for us.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down