Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yokohama 195/60r16 on 06 gl1800

3 posters

Go down

Yokohama 195/60r16 on 06 gl1800 Empty Yokohama 195/60r16 on 06 gl1800

Post  PPCDave Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:23 am

I just got back from my first 70 miles on my new Yokohama Avid Ascend.  Very happy with ride and handling. As others have said, it is a little different in that it wants to go straight more than mc tire and takes a little more effort to initiate a turn' but not a problem. It brakes really well, and is easier to stay upright at a momentary stop at stop sign, and easier to balance with one foot at longer stops. I got it up to 95 with no unusual vibration.  
I had already installed a BT45 rear in the front (LOVE it!) which stopped my bar wobble in the 40-50 range.  So now I'm a double Darksider.
I'm starting at38psi rear and a temp check resulted in 106f at ambient of 68f.  Front is at 40psi, same hot temp after ride.
The best improvement I noticed is the quietness and especially the SMOOTHNESS- particularly when riding over the myriad of small (and large) potholes we are so blessed with around Baton Rouge.  The ct is WAY smoother and more comfortable than the stock mc tire!  I love it and am certain my passenger wil, too, once she experiences it.
Mounting the tire was no problem for my friend with his Coates tire machine; it went on like a ...car tire. Beads popped at under 30 psi.   Installing it on the bike was a little more troublesome, as the sidewall hung up on the studs when I tried to push it up into position (bike on Sears red jack).  But after I let the air out of it, it was possible to get it into position.
I'm anxious to see how the tire wears, as it has an incredibly high wear number of 700! This was the highest I could find in this size tire.  Most others were in the 200-400 range, if they had a number listed.
Speedometer error was reduced to about -2 mph gps vs speedometer.
Time will tell, but my initial experience as a Darksider was GREAT!  Now I need to take some trips to affirm the wisdom of this action.  
Anyone else have experience/comments on this tire?
Happy Mardi Gras!! yeah 

PPCDave

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-02-18

Back to top Go down

Yokohama 195/60r16 on 06 gl1800 Empty Re: Yokohama 195/60r16 on 06 gl1800

Post  robw Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:27 am

I'm sure you will be happy with it. I am on my fourth car tire and won't be going back to motorcycle tires.
robw
robw

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Flyn Tiger Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:07 pm

PPCDAVE, Just needed a update on your Yoko rear tire and B45 front. How many miles do you have on them so far, what tire pressure are you running and did you turn the B45 backwards to run it?

I have been running the Hancook 426 rear and Dunlop E3 on my 02 model for the past couple of years. I am more aggressive of a rider and do ride 2 up some. I have 17,000 on the Hancook and 16,000 miles on the dunlop front tire.  Left front of front tire is wearing some as is on the rear due to road slant here.  I had no idea what pressure to run on the Hancook and had it uo to 44psi at one point but have been running it at about 38psi. I think my time run at 44 wore the tire more in the center but overall it is wearing well all across.

I just got my 2nd nail in the rear which I had to plug, I know, I know, but I am considering going to a run flat tire this go around and will be replacing soon.  If I could get a updated report on your experience I would appreciate it.

Thanks ,
Flyn Tiger
Monroe, La

Flyn Tiger

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2013-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down