Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joined today

+5
motorcyclereb
jedishon
twin1300
smokey2255
brad31684
9 posters

Go down

Joined today Empty Joined today

Post  brad31684 Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:13 pm

Well i finally joined all you guys on the darkside today. I have a 03 1800R and just installed my toyo proxes 205/65/16. Took it out and put only about 20 miles on before i had to go and do some other things and overall i am happy. I have my pressure at 41psi, the only question i had was until you get used to the tire is it normal to be feeling like the tire is kinda squirly when in a turn. I know the tire will get better once broken in and i am ok with this feeling just wondering if it is normal until you are used to the tire. Anyways glad to finally joined the darkside!!!!

brad31684

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Joined today Empty Re: Joined today

Post  smokey2255 Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:22 pm

Brad
Welcome to our little corner of the web. Yes it is normal for it to feel squirrly. The tires have an oily mold release on them that will wear away quick but in the mean time will give them a slightly squirrly feeling. Once that is worn off these tires rock. Cornering,running balls out straight. You cant beat em.

Again welcome.
Any other questions come on with em. You will find we are not a shy lot around here. Kinda the off season for some of us so there is a lot of general bsing going on. Please jump in and add to it.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Joined today Empty thanks

Post  brad31684 Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:29 pm

thanks for the quick reply i kinda figured that was the answer but i have learned it never hurts to ask. I am very happy i am looking forward to some of the warmer days that are upcoming here in colorado plan on putting around 500 miles on the bike this week to really get that new tire broken in.

brad31684

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:05 pm

Brad,

Glad to have you.......Smokey right about your tire and it will go away soon! I have never felt it with any of my tires so far...well only had two in almost three years since going the darkside..hehehehe Just put my second one on almost two months ago! I am a daily rider and you are going to love it! Thanks for introducing yourself to us and if we can help you in any way, just let us know.

Send pics of your darkside when you get a chance??????

...................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Joined today Empty pictures

Post  brad31684 Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:09 pm

how do i post pictures on here?

brad31684

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:20 pm

When you go to post a reply the bar between the subject line and the text box you will see a block that looks like a painting/pic mouse over it it says image. click it then post the link to your pic there. I prefer photobucket.com to host pics as it is the most user friendly free setup I have found.

Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:52 pm

Brad welcome aboard....There is always room for one more....Feel free to join in anytime...

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  motorcyclereb Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:29 am

Welcome and enjoy.
motorcyclereb
motorcyclereb
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  vtxreaper Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:05 am

Hey Brad, welcome, what took ya so long to get here??? Took me well over a year to finally commit. I am riding the same tire, had it on for about 1000 miles now that feeling will get better! I am still playing with the pressure that makes a big difference in handleing. Started at 38, went to 41, now at 44, it still dosen't feel perfect yet. Going riding today gonna try a couple of new pressure numbers. When I get it dialed in I will post up so you know the optimal #.. Ride Safe,,,REAPS
vtxreaper
vtxreaper

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Back to top Go down

Joined today Empty pressures

Post  Jonny Joha Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:23 pm

I am new to the darkside but my father is not. I have a 96, 600 vlx and my dad has a 97 valk.
I tried 35 in my 165/80-15 and the bike wanted to wobble if you let go the handle bars...really bad.
dropped the press to 32 and the bike feels great.

My dad said "you don't run 44psi in your car which is twice or more the weight, so why would you run it on your bike."

not saying anyone that is riding lots a psi is wrong, we are all test pilots. also if you are trying to make a flat bottom tire round with press then it will wear in the center, cutting it's life. what is the max psi on the tire? mine is 36 I think.

just sayin if you haven't tried a lower press think about it.

Jonny Joha

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post  vtxreaper Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:59 am

Yo Johnny, your dad makes a good point... Never really checked what the recommended tire pressure was. Just was reading on the boards and guessed it should be high like the bike tires. Gonna drop it down and check the lower #'s. We shall see, should be a riding day here in N.Y., Will post up later with results,,REAPS
vtxreaper
vtxreaper

Back to top Go down

Post  vtxreaper Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:03 am

Wobble solved!!! Jonny your dad was right, lowered the pressure to 34 from 41 much better handling, thanks,,,,Reaps
vtxreaper
vtxreaper

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:19 am

That works both ways, to low air press. and you can get a wobble, you have to find the sweet spot.

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:59 am

good info thanks

Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down