Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

After first 12,000 miles

4 posters

Go down

After first 12,000 miles Empty After first 12,000 miles

Post  garyods Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:02 pm

I have a Michelin Alpin PA3 195/55r-16 @ 30 PSI on the rear, after 12k miles it appears almost new.  I’ve taken it on long trips as well as for day trips.  Yesterday I took it out for a trip with some really mean twisties as well as on a back road that was rough as a cob (according to the 4 other bikes WAY too rough to ride again) and the CT handles it all.

When the tire was new after the initial 50 miles (a bit of a break in period) and a little while for me to adjust to the new normal of riding on a CT I can say that there isn’t much bad to say about the experience.  The adjustment I had to make was getting used to a little less lean on curves.  The more I ride it either I'm getting used to it or it's adapting to the motorcycle use.  Something else I have to consider is that I started out riding it with 36 PSI, but I've worked my way down to 30 PSI where I now run it.

The one negative trait that I’ve noticed is on mildly rutted paved roads (roads with worn tire tracks).  On these roads, when riding in staggered/group formation my wing tends “to hunt” for the middle of the rut.  It’s not violent by any means, just tedious.  My short term solution is to ride on inside or outside of the rut to keep it from wallowing back and forth.  If the trip is going a long way, I will “out ride” at the back of the group in the center of the lane.

All things considered for me, I will be staying with the CT in the future.  I like the security of the Zero Pressure feature, it feels more stable on gravel, the larger contact patch (which I believe will result in better braking should I need it) and as a wing rider I like the availability of the tires in remote areas of the US and Canada on my vacations.

Also I'm now running a front tire at the factory recommended 36 PSI for the first time since I bought the wing, no cupping so far.  Before I kept the front tire @ 40-42 PSI to try to reduce the cupping (which didn't work), but I always felt that I was sacrificing some traction in the tradeoff.

garyods

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-04-28

Back to top Go down

After first 12,000 miles Empty Re: After first 12,000 miles

Post  quadancer Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:23 pm

I definitely preach panic stop practice, since I've found that practically NO ONE really knows how best to bind down their bike in the
shortest time and distance, including ME!!! I've cut off about 10' from my panic braking in a 35mph stop in 40' or so by training myself
to apply the front brake first and gingerly apply a host of rear stoppage.
What we have to remember here is that practically 90% of bikes down go with rear wheel slideout. IMO, the trick here is to eliminate
rear wheel slide, and focus on escape routes for the head and eyes.
Of course, bikes with ABF and such, will have a slightly different set of parameters to follow than us geezers on our antiques...tongue 
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  garyods Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:41 pm

quadancer wrote: . . . by training myself to apply the front brake first and gingerly apply a host of rear stoppage. What we have to remember here is that practically 90% of bikes down go with rear wheel slideout. IMO, the trick here is to eliminate rear wheel slide, and focus on escape routes for the head and eyes.  

Based on your response and your avatar I'm guessing you aren't riding a Goldwing with a combined brake system.hmmm

garyods

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:48 pm

dbl post

Last edited by quadancer on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:49 pm

OH, I didn't know they all had that. Can't speak for them then; just trying to help folks stop these dinosaurs that we love so much...
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Flyn Tiger Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:34 pm

Garyods, I will soon be on the darkside also. I have been concerned about leaning in the twisties. I have footpegs on the sides and folded up I often drag the pegs. I also run my rear suspension at max (25) to get the maximum clearance along with running a taller 180/70/16 mt.  Will the CT affect the lean angle that much?  I love the twisties and leaning that puppy over.Very Happy

Flyn Tiger

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2013-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post  rrounds Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:57 pm

If the tire you put on is taller than the 180/70-16 then you will get a little more lean angle. The wider the tire,(205 on up) it takes more muscle to make the bike turn. I run a 175/75-16 on my VT1100-T and it gave me more lean angle and it doesn't take much more to turn than the stock tire. Plus it lowered my rpm's going down the road. You can't find the 175/75-16 any more in the states, so take a look at a 185/75-16 and see if you have enough room for it to fit.
http://www.tiresbyweb.com/tbw_tiresearchadv2.aspx?treadwidth=185&profile=75&rimsize=16&Winter=0&Pageindex=1&choice2=All

ROD

rrounds

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down