Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ordered tires today for my '99 1500se, so I guess I'm gonna be a Darksider.

4 posters

Go down

Ordered tires today for my '99 1500se, so I guess I'm gonna be a Darksider. Empty Ordered tires today for my '99 1500se, so I guess I'm gonna be a Darksider.

Post  GaryB Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:38 pm

Ordered tires today for my 1500se, so I guess I'm gonna be a Darksider...a double one at that. Smile

I've been a lurker for a while...just because of the "debate". We have one guy in our riding group that sis running a car tire on his 1800. So I wanted to "walk a mile in the shoes"...well..."wear a set of 'em out on my bike" and then I can have an opinion.

My choice for the Goldwing 1500SE is rather limited so I chose...
Front - MICHELIN PILOT ACTIV 130/70-18 M/C 63H, REAR -I plan on mounting it...bass ackwards.
Rear - 175/60R-16 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D RunFlat

I hope i didn't miss something and select the wrong combo. It is hard to compile all the info with limited choices. Some info is several years old and I had to watch the dates. But, the order is in and by next weekend I should have both tires...end of this week for the rear so I'm hoping to have a chance to work on that one this weekend.

We'll see. Wish me luck.
GaryB

Last edited by GaryB on Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

GaryB

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Ordered tires today for my '99 1500se, so I guess I'm gonna be a Darksider. Empty Re: Ordered tires today for my '99 1500se, so I guess I'm gonna be a Darksider.

Post  giturgun Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:27 pm

Same combo I run on my 88 1500. The Pilot seems to cup bad. I run max recommended in it Dyna beads in both. I think U will like the Dunlop rear. Been running 41 lb in it. I have approx 6000 miles on em and , the pilot will be swapped with something else when it is used up.
What a Face
giturgun
giturgun

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2011-05-24

Back to top Go down

Ordered tires today for my '99 1500se, so I guess I'm gonna be a Darksider. Empty Re: Ordered tires today for my '99 1500se, so I guess I'm gonna be a Darksider.

Post  GaryB Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:24 pm

I should be used to the cupping. I put on a pair of Dunlop E3s this spring and they are down to the wear bars...and badly cupped. Both front and rear. I ran 41psi in both and also used something similar to Dyna beads I found at a tire store. They were small glass beads...and for the life of me I can't remember the name of them rat now. hmmm

Edited: I remembered...it's called... Equal--- Link: http://www.imiproducts.com/equal.html

Well, when you change your front tire to something different and get some miles on it, maybe I'll have my front wore out and I'll be looking for another one. I'll take your advice on the next one at that time.

My Dunlap Wintersport arrived today...that bad boy has some stiff sidewalls and some good look'n tread. Looks like mounting them up will be fun! Shocked Laughing

Thanks for the reply.
GaryBhttp://www.imiproducts.com/equal.html

GaryB

Back to top Go down

Post  giturgun Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:35 pm

A tip on mounting I use a hi lift jack mounted to the uprights on my Car port. Use a c clamp to hold it on the foot. The handle is turned down to push on the tire. Have someone push down on one side to keep the bead in the center and lever it on with 2 tire irons . The trick is keeping the far side bead in the cut out. I actually tie a cinder block to the Hi lift to do this if no one is saround. Works to break down tires also. Used to have a vid somewhere. But can't rem. just where now. Will post it If I can locate it.
giturgun
giturgun

Back to top Go down

Ordered tires today for my '99 1500se, so I guess I'm gonna be a Darksider. Empty 88 GL 1500 wing

Post  cpwomer Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:02 pm

My back tires is a MT Dunlop and its 6inches wide and there is only a quarter inch to spare next to the shaft on the right side of the tire and the tire you have ordered has a 7 inch section width. So my question is how is it going to fit especially if i buy one for my 88GL1500. Doesnt the section width mean the width of the whole tire???
cpwomer
cpwomer

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2011-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  GaryB Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:57 pm

Hi cpwomer...

I don't know. All I do know is that this 175/60R-16 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D RunFlat is one of the few car tires that fit the 1500. My guess is that the sectional width is also determined by the rim width. Just a guess.

I hope someone in the know will jump on this with the correct answer.

-GaryB

GaryB

Back to top Go down

Post  giturgun Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:06 pm

Tire will fit it will fit . Just put it on . Have one on my GL 1500 1988. The tire fits without any mods .
giturgun
giturgun

Back to top Go down

Ordered tires today for my '99 1500se, so I guess I'm gonna be a Darksider. Empty Video of using the hi lift to break beads

Post  giturgun Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:15 pm

https://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s14/giturgun/My%20Goldwings/The%2088%20bagger/GL%201500%20tricks/
giturgun
giturgun

Back to top Go down

Ordered tires today for my '99 1500se, so I guess I'm gonna be a Darksider. Empty re ordered tire today for 1500 se so I guess I am going to be a darksider

Post  Larry Simpson Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Talk about southern ingenuity,brother you are a pro.,I love it . ROFL ROFL
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Ordered tires today for my '99 1500se, so I guess I'm gonna be a Darksider. Empty dunlop dun ordered

Post  cpwomer Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:58 am

i appreciate the input i too just ordered one, it'll be here in a week and of course I will keep checked in with the darkside on my progress. Yall come on out to Ellijay GA and we will run up north and hit the tail of the dragon...Thats where I'm going to test out my tire. Now ive been thinking about the front tire too but at a minimum I'm going to get new bearings too. I just got my Super Brace too, just need time to put it on...Again thanks a bazillion...Craig
cpwomer
cpwomer

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2011-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  giturgun Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:41 am

Dragon is about 80 miles from the house. I ride it about every year. Also hit Diamondback and the white snake a lot. If U do old dragon, watch out for the rug-rats on their little go fast bikes.
giturgun
giturgun

Back to top Go down

Post  giturgun Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:42 am

Will post pics of my way to do the front springs, can just turn the tube to start the nut if it done right.
giturgun
giturgun

Back to top Go down

Ordered tires today for my '99 1500se, so I guess I'm gonna be a Darksider. Empty Easy way to do front fork springs

Post  giturgun Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:47 am

https://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s14/giturgun/fork%20change/
Found it 2cents
giturgun
giturgun

Back to top Go down

Ordered tires today for my '99 1500se, so I guess I'm gonna be a Darksider. Empty The dun flop

Post  giturgun Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:56 am

https://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s14/giturgun/mY%20NEW%20MODERSIKKLE%20TAR/ onelaf
giturgun
giturgun

Back to top Go down

Post  GaryB Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:54 am

Finally got...er...made the time to mount the new tires. I've always done it the old fashion way with a tire breaker and tire spoons/tools. Just the rednek coming out, can't help it. I wish I had taken these to a tire shop though. I've only had one tractor tire that caused me as much effort. Not the removal but installing. I should have removed the disk on the "work" side of the front tire...and then to get the CT to seat on the rim. But all is well...thanks to a bit of help from the wife...they are now mounted on the rims but not installed on the bike.

I want to do a few things while the tires are removed. I want to drain the "rear-end" oil, remove the drive shaft and inspect and grease it all up. I do need to replace the brake pads. I want to clean and re-grease the pins in the brake calipers. I want to change the brake fluid front n rear. If I can remove my mufflers (I just rotated down to remove the axle) I would like to clean up the connections and apply a little never-seize before re-installing. They were a bit a trouble this time and I put on tires about a year ago. If I get 2 years out of this ct the mufflers may be a bit more of a problem. I'd rather take a little time now than a lot later. The protection boot on the right rear air shock has split all the way around one of the corrugations. I've got to go to Autozone/Oreilley's/Advanced Auto and find a steering or shock protector or something that will work. While the front week is removed I would like to replace the horns to something a bit louder. I would like to add a set of locomotive horns on the front fender but I think the fender wouldn't hold the set I would like and I would need to pull a trailer to hold the air tank and compressor. For those who text and drive or do other things to distract their driving, I would like to have something to put a stain in their drawers that Clorox won't take out. I have a <Stebel Nautilus Compact Motorcycle Air Horn> and need to find a place to install it. Also my speedometer has had the bounce and I have a new spedo cable to replace the old one. Bearings in both wheels feel nice and smooth so for now I'll let them ride.

Ok, I'll shut up now. Won't be able to do a thing this after noon after work. Gotta go to the grandson's... Priority one.

Later,
garyb

GaryB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down