Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's Official...I'm a Darksider!

+3
CaribCruiser
jedishon
JakeInMa
7 posters

Go down

It's Official...I'm a Darksider! Empty It's Official...I'm a Darksider!

Post  JakeInMa Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:23 pm

Ok, its official…I’m a Darksider!

Let me start by saying my tire is a Hankook Optimo H426, size 195/60/16.
I got a call from the shop this a.m. and was told my bike was ready. I asked if the mechanic who installed it had any issues. The service manager stated that the only note on the slip was that “it likes to go straight”. I told him I’d be by tonight after work to pick her up.

I arrived at the dealership after work and spoke with the service manager and one of the other techs. They both said that they liked the way the tire looked and that they were very intrigued by this.
The service manager said he’d be right back and brought my bike around. He said that it didn’t feel too bad, that it felt “different” and he could feel a change in the steering at slow speed. He did say that he liked the profile and the amount of tread on the ground.

I took the bike for a ride and being apprehensive I just went around the block and took my time. My first impression was that the bike rode straighter than it did with a bike tire and that slow speed turns were just different, nothing I couldn’t adjust to.

I went back inside and spoke further with the service manager and gave him several websites regarding the Darkside, as well as turned him on to the YouTube videos regarding this. He was very impressed by the amount of contact that the tire has with the road and even stated that it appears that the tires have as much or more contact with the road than the bike tires. He stated he was very intrigued and wanted to do some more reading and watching of videos. The funny thing was that when I dropped the bike off, he didn’t seem very interested in this at all!

The ride home…

The bike appears to accelerate and stop just as well as it did with the bike tire. The rear brake felt a bit soft; not sure if it’s the tire or just needs to be adjusted. The bike rides very straight on the highway and felt very stable except when I reached about 80mph. I felt as if the bike was a bit squirrely, such as every movement I made on the bike felt exaggerated. This may have been attributed to the tire having about 40psi, a bit higher than I was told to begin with. I made a note to lower the pressure when I got home. I found that the bike appeared very stable at lower speeds and I was able to keep my balance longer when coming to a stop.

Once I got off the highway I deliberately took a rural road that had lots of ruts and grooves so I could see how the tire handled the uneven pavement. I found that since the tire is wider and there is better treads that the bike followed the grooves more than a bike tire. I didn’t find this to be a problem, only different, and again, something that I can adjust to since I know this is what happens.

I arrived home and took a few pictures because I know everyone will want to see them. I also brought the tire pressure down to about 36psi and will use that as my starting point.

So, my first impression is that I like this…

It's Official...I'm a Darksider! CarTire6-13-112
It's Official...I'm a Darksider! CarTire6-13-111
It's Official...I'm a Darksider! CarTire6-13-113
It's Official...I'm a Darksider! CarTire6-13-115
It's Official...I'm a Darksider! CarTire6-13-117
It's Official...I'm a Darksider! CarTire6-13-116

Last edited by JakeInMa on Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
JakeInMa
JakeInMa

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

It's Official...I'm a Darksider! Empty Re: It's Official...I'm a Darksider!

Post  jedishon Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:46 pm

Welcome to the darkside. Once you get the molds release wore off and find your sweet spot on air pressure you will really enjoy the ride.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  JakeInMa Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:11 pm

A couple of things I forgot to mention on my first ride was that it was about a 35 mile ride and it felt as if I had improved upon my rear suspension. The ride felt much softer than with the bike tire.

Once I got home I did lower the pressure to 36 and went for another ride, both on a rural road and on the highway, bringing the bike up to about 70. The ride felt better than with the higher pressure and I'll use this as my starting point.

I already notice that with each mile I put on I'm trusting it more. I know I don't have many miles on it, but it just feels good.

So, again, I didn't crash and burn and I like it.
JakeInMa
JakeInMa

Back to top Go down

Post  CaribCruiser Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:01 pm

Welcome and Congrats
Thx. for the write-up and take your time to find the sweet spot.
CaribCruiser
CaribCruiser

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  yabiah Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:02 pm

Welcome aboard.
Tire looks great!

yabiah
yabiah

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:27 pm

Congrats and it looks great on there!!! Let the mold release wear off as some of the others have said.....and then YOU CAN RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!! Just wait until you get caught in the rain...then it will really show you what it can do.

Come back after 500 miles or so and give us a full review.

.......................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Dudester60 Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:09 pm

Finally, a darksider with the exact same tire as I have. Can't wait to rear about your second impression of the Hankook.
I love my H426, and I'm riding at 36psi (so far) I did try 34 for a mile or two, and it just felt too mushy and weird.
However, to make sure, I'm going to try to go even lower, like 32psi, and see if that makes things worst or better.
At 40 psi, I have a weird wobble at about 85 mph as well, but at 36, it seems to have corrected itself. I don't ride at 85 mph often, but I like to know I can ride there if I want to or have to. yes
Anyway, congrats on your new car tire, and again, I look forward to reading what you have to say about the Hankook, and what you end up with regarding psi. By the way, I have my front motorcyle Metzler at 40 psi.
Dudester60
Dudester60

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2011-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post  JakeInMa Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:38 am

Dudester60 wrote:Finally, a darksider with the exact same tire as I have. Can't wait to rear about your second impression of the Hankook.
I love my H426, and I'm riding at 36psi (so far) I did try 34 for a mile or two, and it just felt too mushy and weird.
However, to make sure, I'm going to try to go even lower, like 32psi, and see if that makes things worst or better.
At 40 psi, I have a weird wobble at about 85 mph as well, but at 36, it seems to have corrected itself. I don't ride at 85 mph often, but I like to know I can ride there if I want to or have to. yes
Anyway, congrats on your new car tire, and again, I look forward to reading what you have to say about the Hankook, and what you end up with regarding psi. By the way, I have my front motorcyle Metzler at 40 psi.

I did bring the pressure down to 32psi in the rear and up to 40 in the front, but I haven't had a chance to ride it yet to see how it does. Looking at some rain today so I'm going to bring the cage to work.
JakeInMa
JakeInMa

Back to top Go down

Post  Dudester60 Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:39 am

Great, let me know how you like it at 32 psi. BTW, nice Harley Cheers
Dudester60
Dudester60

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:25 am

Welcome and Congrats

I love it when dealers open their eyes instead of the kneejerk reaction of that won't work. yes yes yeah
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Dudester60 Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:26 pm

00 Doc wrote: Welcome and Congrats

I love it when dealers open their eyes instead of the kneejerk reaction of that won't work. yes yes yeah

Yah, makes me feel like I'm on the wild side, and them think I'm crazy LOL !!! Evil or Very Mad I live in a small town, and other bikers around here are starting to call me the "bad ass" guy !!! lol .....All I did was put on a car tire.....geeshe ! Gaah
Dudester60
Dudester60

Back to top Go down

Post  JakeInMa Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:12 pm

Dudester60 wrote:Great, let me know how you like it at 32 psi. BTW, nice Harley Cheers

Will do and thank you.
JakeInMa
JakeInMa

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down