Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rims?

5 posters

Go down

Rims? Empty Rims?

Post  Knightsquad Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:02 pm

Wow, great site, especially this Darkside info!

I'll be going Dark myself soon but can't find any information about the rims used.

Can we just use the stock rims to mount these tires on?
I 've got an 04" GL1800

Thanks guys!

Pete

Knightsquad

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-04-21

Back to top Go down

Rims? Empty Re: Rims?

Post  rick1520 Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:50 am

Hey Pete, I just went to the darkside on our hacked 1500 last year and used the stock rear rim. I know A lot of guys are DS'ing the 1800s' also. Can you find out if the 1500 and 1800 use the same tire size? I 'm using a Vredestein LT175/75-R16. It measured nearly identical in size and weight as the Venom X we destroyed. Bike does go on the centerstand far easier now. cheers If this doesn't help just search around this website and you won't be disappointed with the wealth of knowledge here. I'm a newbie here myself and have found it very helpful. Rick

rick1520

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:02 am

For the GL1800 a lot of guys use a 195/55/16, although I recently learned a 205 will also fit.
Stock rims work just fine, the trick is to clean the inside bead lip till it shines. This helps the tire seat easier.
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Rims? Empty Rims

Post  tacomagoldwing Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:42 pm

Pete,
I ride an 05 1800, I just switched to the darkside using the stock rims. The only difficulty was getting the tire back into wheel well, it went but took a little effort. It was suggested to let the air back out then re-inflate it after it's in place. So far I'm sold on the darkside. 1500 miles and very happy.

tacomagoldwing

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:58 am

Knight, I am running a 205 under my 07 wing on stck rim. My next one will be the 195 though. The 205 is a great tire but it does tend to rub a little when you ride it hard. The smell of hot rubber at triple digit speeds can get in your head a bit. Shocked Takes the fun out of dragging pegs ..... nahhh hell who am I kidding. It just adds another level to the thrill Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Choose your tire and weigh in all your options and what you are looking for in a tire. Are you an easy rider looking for maximum miles out of one or are you an agressive rider wanting maximum traction. I chose a combination of the two and ended up with a tire that has a way too soft sidewall. It will actually flex like a dragster tire when I launch it hard. I do not recommend the sumitoma to anyone. So far I have only put 11k on it but it has taken evrything I have thrown at it. I tend to be an aggresive rider and my tires get tested thoroughly.

Good luck

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Knightsquad Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:39 pm

Hey !
Thanks guys!

Well I ordered the Bridgestone BT45 Sport Touring (rear) 130/70/18 for my front and should
be here Tuesday so I can't wait to get that on!
Mine says 130/70H-18 Is the (H) ok? What speed rating is that?

I still have a few miles to go on my rear tire but am going to order the Kumho ECSTA RF 195/55/16
for the rear soon so I'll have it when ready. Just worried about finding someone to mount it.

Who did you guys get to do the mounting?

I'll keep you all up to date when I get more done!

Pete

Knightsquad

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:16 am

I have used car tire shops and independant mc shops to mount my car tires for me.
The (H) rating is 130 mph rating. plenty high enough for our needs. Remember this is a sustained speed rating.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Knightsquad Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:23 pm

Hey thanks guys..

The BT45 came in today so I'll head out in the AM to get it mounted.
Guess you could say I'll be a little GREY tomorrow and not totally
a Darksider but when this rear gets low enough I'm going to put on the
Kumho.
I'll keep ya informed!

Thanks again
Pete

Knightsquad

Back to top Go down

Post  Knightsquad Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:48 pm

Quick update...

Got the BT45 mounted up and it feels absolutely perfect! The guy who mounted it asked if I
wanted it opposite rotation, so right away I knew that he knew! haha
I said either way is fine with me but asked his reccomendation and he said he spoke to Honda
about this in the past and they reccomended (opposite)
He said it had more to do with the way the tire disperses the water so I said that's fine with me.

I also just got a tube of Ride-On in the mail today so I put that in the tire (8oz.) for balancing and puncture sealing.
I really haven't ever heard anything bad about the stuff. It is a lot different than Slime in my opinion
in that it is very water soluable and easy to rinse out on the next tire change and have read many posts of
the stuff actually sealing holes in riders tires, We'll see! Seem to be a very reputable company who serves big
fleets of vehicles and I think that says a lot'

NEXT!
The Kumho!
Shoot, even though I still have some tread left on this rear I feel like just going ahead and ordering the
Kumho and doing it! I can't wait to try! I'll keep ya all posted!
Does anone have a link to the correct Kumho tire? Seems to be quite a few of them that all look the same
but with different letter designations and stuff! For instance, is this the correct one?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+SPT+XRP&partnum=955VR6KU31XRP

Thanks again guys... OH, what pressures are you all running the Battlax at? Mine is at 39psi right now...
Pete

Knightsquad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down