Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GOOD NEWS!!!

+3
mrnone
Dan Koich
quadancer
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

GOOD NEWS!!! Empty GOOD NEWS!!!

Post  quadancer Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:50 pm

Thanx to VStar in a convo with me about the Comtracs, I did some figuring from a chart he posted. Seems that a 185 will only be a hair over 3/32" per side wider. For Fatboyz and Heritages, it may work.
Just put her on the lift and measured about 1/4" (more than I thought I had) clearance!!!
185/70/16 will be VERY close to the diameter of the 175/75 comtrac, which I loved right off for the speedo correction and lower revs on the motor.
Somebody with more money than me and the need for longevity put one on and let us know how it fit. Mine won't wear out for maybe another 10k or more.
I can't be the first for everything!
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

GOOD NEWS!!! Empty Re: GOOD NEWS!!!

Post  Dan Koich Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:15 pm

Vredestein makes a 185/75r/16 in the Comtrac and I think there are 4 of them available for $209. Do you think there's much difference in size/fit between a 185/75/16 and a 185/70/16. If there is a significiant difference due to the higher aspect ratio, have you found a manufacturer and/or retail distributor of a 185/70/16?

Dan Koich

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:28 pm

I see you're right - did the math on the stock numbers, and it comes to .39" wider, or half that per side at .195", much less than the .25 of the 175.
Now, a new conundrum arises inasmuch as we are not putting it on a 5" rim or so. The sidewalls pull in on the Harley 3" leaving that 1/4" clearance to the fender, but I wonder how much difference either way that will make on the numbers above? We still need that .195 or thereabouts if anyone is going to experiment with this.
The speedo correction I got with the 175 will now be in error just under 1-1/2 mph, reading 65 at 66.46 mph. I could easily live with that.
edit: yow, the difference between .25 and .195 is .055, or just a tad over 3/64. Man, the raised lettering is higher than that. Might have to shave the fender.
With a chain, I'd shim the wheel over, but not with a $400 belt.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

GOOD NEWS!!! Empty times up

Post  mrnone Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:47 am

ok I have a 05 flhti it has a 08 wheel with one inch bearings installed in it.
new dunlop feb 21st. bald now.
not going to put another mc tire on my bike.
so i see success with the coker 550r
but this tire requires a tube...
I have cast wheels ...
comtrac vredestein ?
clocks ticking any help greatly apreciated

mrnone

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-02-21

http://werule.com

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:34 pm

Vredestein not made any more.
Austone Taxi tire or the Coker are all the choices left.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluedog 50 PanShovel Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:07 pm

Ordered 185 75 16 Vredestein Comtrax on 5/5/11, from Tires by Web,salesman said might be end of June before tire gets here. I believe he said the tires were coming from Holland. $209.00 each, no shipping charges. Going to try to fit it to a 1992 Heritage. Quad said he had 1/4" on fender clearance. I did the math also, several times.Just over .050" isn't much. "ONE PROBLEM AT A TIME". Wife rides a 2000 Fatboy, if tire works on my heritage I might be able to talk her into one also.

Bluedog 50 PanShovel

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:51 am

COOL! I was hoping for someone to try it for me! Should work; the fender edge could be ground away a bit and coated with nail polish or paint if needed - the belt should be no problem at all, according to our math.
GOOD NEWS!!! Guinea-pigs-04
Actually, I was wondering if someone would try the 185/75/16 Firestone, but this will do.
https://www.universaltire.com/185hr16-firestone-blackwall.html They said it was 7-3/8" or something, but on a 5" rim.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:10 am

I dunno if this is much help, but this site has a few 550R16 size tires that looked interesting...

http://www.performanceplustire.com/products/otherTires?subSection=antiqueTires&searchType=searchBySize&sizeShort=550-16

Goodluck. thumbup
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

GOOD NEWS!!! Empty Good News

Post  Dan Koich Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:30 am

Bluedog 50 PanShovel wrote:Ordered 185 75 16 Vredestein Comtrax on 5/5/11, from Tires by Web,salesman said might be end of June before tire gets here. I believe he said the tires were coming from Holland. $209.00 each, no shipping charges. Going to try to fit it to a 1992 Heritage. Quad said he had 1/4" on fender clearance. I did the math also, several times.Just over .050" isn't much. "ONE PROBLEM AT A TIME". Wife rides a 2000 Fatboy, if tire works on my heritage I might be able to talk her into one also.

Any news on your Comtrac arrival? I'm also anxiously waiting to see how the 185 fits on your Heritage. I'm still several thousand miles away from needing a new rear tire and I don't know if 1992 Heritages and 2009 Heritages have identical rear ends as far as tire fitting goes, but I sure want to see and hear your reports on how your installation goes and how well it rides, what your air pressure sweet spot is, etc.

Dan Koich

Back to top Go down

GOOD NEWS!!! Empty Re: GOOD NEWS

Post  Bluedog 50 PanShovel Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:32 pm

Quad; On your last post here you said the belt should not be a problem. But I read today that Harley started using a narrower belt in 2000. I looked at my wife's Fatboy and it has a narrow belt and it is a 2000. And yours is a 2005 ( I saw that posted somewhere ) is that right. So I'm thinking now that I will have some problem with my belt. Comments anyone!!! I knew Harley had started using a narrower belt but I didn't think it was that early.

Bluedog 50 PanShovel

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:01 pm

I dunno, my belt is a bit close, but the fender's a lot closer, which is why I said that. Yours...well, I had 14mm to spare from the stock 150 and now have 1/4" to spare from the 175 - and more than that on the belt. Maybe that will give you an idea.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  eidolon Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:23 pm

Bluedog 50 PanShovel wrote:Quad; On your last post here you said the belt should not be a problem. But I read today that Harley started using a narrower belt in 2000. I looked at my wife's Fatboy and it has a narrow belt and it is a 2000. And yours is a 2005 ( I saw that posted somewhere ) is that right. So I'm thinking now that I will have some problem with my belt. Comments anyone!!! I knew Harley had started using a narrower belt but I didn't think it was that early.

The belt on my 05 NightTrain is 1 1/8th". HD went to an even narrower belt in 07, and some 06's, I looked at some new ones at the dealer today and they look to be about 3/4" definately narrower than mine.. There are belts available from Drag Specialties down to 20MM. Not sure about the 2000 models. How wide is your wife's FLSTF's belt? No way to use FatBoy in the previous sentence... Smile

Quad you say on the Heritage that it's the fender on the right that is in the way, for me it is definitely the belt. Plenty of room on the right side.
eidolon
eidolon

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2011-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluedog 50 PanShovel Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:33 am

Eidolon; Wife's belt on FLSTF is 1 1/8. Belt on my Heritage is 1 1/2.

Bluedog 50 PanShovel

Back to top Go down

GOOD NEWS!!! Empty Good News

Post  Dan Koich Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:25 am

The belt on my 09 Heritage is 1.0 inch wide. But the critical measurement on my bike appears to be fender clearance. It's only 1/2 inch from the tire on right side and 7/8 inch on left side. I had my bike lowered 1 inch however, so that may account for the small clearance (with the 150mm Dunlop still in place) compared to your softail models. I'm doubting that the 185mm Comtrac will fit on mine and I'll be trying the Austone Taxi tire in 175mm.

Dan Koich

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluedog 50 PanShovel Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:55 pm

One thing I have figured out with these tires is, to a certain extent you don't know till you try. I just put a 195 65 15 on a 2008 Honda shadow 750 C2. Thought it was going to be close. Discount Tire (tire calculator) showed width to be 7.68" don't know what rim width, but on 3.5" rim it was 6.89". I still got a good .5" clearance, this is on drive shaft tube. Could have easily put a 205 on. 175 to 185 you're looking at close to .200" on same rim width, on one side. But who knows till you try it the 185 might pull in more!! Also as Quad said earlier there is a lip on fender, mine turns in about .250" that could be worked for clearance. I have never minded doing some modifying for a better thing!! By the way,Thanks for all the information, dimensions, web sites, oppinions, etc., & BS from everyone. I have learned alot. Need to learn more especially about posting, all the little faces, quotes, pictures, websites, etc. My wife's trying to help me!! She loves her Fatboy ?? Humor sometimes ! When I get started. Mostly just a " Shade Tree" mechanic !

Bluedog 50 PanShovel

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:12 pm

Bluedog 50 PanShovel wrote:One thing I have figured out with these tires is, to a certain extent you don't know till you try. I just put a 195 65 15 on a 2008 Honda shadow 750 C2. Thought it was going to be close. Discount Tire (tire calculator) showed width to be 7.68" don't know what rim width, but on 3.5" rim it was 6.89". I still got a good .5" clearance, this is on drive shaft tube. Could have easily put a 205 on. 175 to 185 you're looking at close to .200" on same rim width, on one side. But who knows till you try it the 185 might pull in more!! Also as Quad said earlier there is a lip on fender, mine turns in about .250" that could be worked for clearance. I have never minded doing some modifying for a better thing!! By the way,Thanks for all the information, dimensions, web sites, oppinions, etc., & BS from everyone. I have learned alot. Need to learn more especially about posting, all the little faces, quotes, pictures, websites, etc. My wife's trying to help me!! She loves her Fatboy ?? Humor sometimes ! When I get started. Mostly just a " Shade Tree" mechanic !

Congrats Bluedog,,, You take care of the wife's Fatboy... lol!
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  eidolon Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:11 pm

quadancer wrote:I dunno, my belt is a bit close, but the fender's a lot closer, which is why I said that. Yours...well, I had 14mm to spare from the stock 150 and now have 1/4" to spare from the 175 - and more than that on the belt. Maybe that will give you an idea.

Quad,
What is the Section Width on the 175/75x16 Vredestein on what I assume is a 3.5" stock Heritage wire wheel?
Thanks for all you have posted on this and other forums... really helpful!

Last edited by eidolon on Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
eidolon
eidolon

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:40 am

I thought I'd posted it somewhere - I recall 6-1/8" if I'm correct, but have to remeasure to be sure. Right now we're heading out to church - get back to ya.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

GOOD NEWS!!! Empty Good news

Post  Dan Koich Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:09 pm

eidolon wrote:
quadancer wrote:I dunno, my belt is a bit close, but the fender's a lot closer, which is why I said that. Yours...well, I had 14mm to spare from the stock 150 and now have 1/4" to spare from the 175 - and more than that on the belt. Maybe that will give you an idea.

Quad,
What is the Section Width on the 175/75x16 Ved on what I assume is a 3.5" stock Heritage wire wheel?
Thanks for all you have posted on this and other forums... really helpful!

I think the stock Heritage wire wheel is 3-inches, not 3 1/2 inch. I could be wrong.

Dan Koich

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:30 pm

You are correct. I haven't had time to go measure it (section width) and I'm in a late meeting now, need to hit the sack for an early job.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  eidolon Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:10 pm

Dan Koich wrote:
I think the stock Heritage wire wheel is 3-inches, not 3 1/2 inch. I could be wrong.

Dan you are correct 16X3. Should be even better Very Happy cause I am going to need all the skinny I can get on my NightTrain.
eidolon
eidolon

Back to top Go down

Post  eidolon Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:10 am

quadancer wrote:You are correct. I haven't had time to go measure it (section width) and I'm in a late meeting now, need to hit the sack for an early job.

Hey Quad,

Any time to measure the section width yet?
eidolon
eidolon

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:50 am

Aw man, sorry; I'm working some long hours getting a job started, but I'll get to it this weekend if I remember to. I'm slammed.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  eidolon Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:31 am

No problem, when you get time.
Thanks!
eidolon
eidolon

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:11 pm

Got to it tonight - I get 6-1/4" exactly, say 3/8" for safeties sake.
Oddly enuff, I had a noise that turned out to be the tire rubbing with the wife on last night. We stopped for a while and it was quieter going home. Tonight I check everything out from top to bottom and can't even MAKE the tire move over to the fender, which has about a 2" spot without paint inside at the top. We tried to move the swingarm; it checks out, checked air, everything - the tire isn't touching a thing.
I'm thinking I must have had a branch stuck up there or something.
One thing is for sure: a 185 won't go in there.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next