Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swing arm VTX CT

4 posters

Go down

Swing arm VTX CT Empty Swing arm VTX CT

Post  VTXFerret Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:04 pm

Any one know how to check swing arm bearings? VTX 1300S 05 with a CT. Working on finding why I get back shaking from bike at 70-80. This has been going on for about a year or so. New front and rear wheels, 1800 neck bearings installed, new progressive shock bushings on rear, progressive front springs, Front wheel bearings good, rear wheel bearings good good flange hub bearings, OH 2oz Dyno Beads in front 3 in the rear, Bike runs great some times back fires on deceleration, new plugs, Cobra long pips good and snug, Swing arm is all I can think of left. Bike has 53000 miles. I did a number of searches and if I want to install a fat tire kit or need a shaft cover Im good but not much on checking to see ifthe bearing maybe going bad. Looking for I deals here.
Thanks for your time.
Ferret

VTXFerret

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-08-30

Back to top Go down

Swing arm VTX CT Empty Re: Swing arm VTX CT

Post  jedishon Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:55 pm

Sounds like you have don all the stuff most of us think about.
All I can think of is it might be the tire itself. Could have been made out of round from the factory, or maybe it has a broken/seperated belt. It's rare but it happens.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:50 am

how tight is the bolt for the neck bearings? it can be too tight and cause issues like that...
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:08 pm

Thats about all I can think of also. Shock bushings Neck bearings and if you have the shocks set to low, it can cause wollowing I think thats what they call it.

I know I just got a new motor in mine and I hit 100mph in a high speed turn, not much of a turn, but it started shakeing and its never done it before, so when I got home, I found the lower shock bushings in the 1800 shocks I bought had bad bushings in it, plus I had the shocks set on 1 setting, but thats where I run them, so I replaced the bushings and going to try it again and if it does it again, I will crank it up to 2.
Wife wanted to see if she could get a smother ride out of her V star and wanted me to lighten up the pre load on her rear end and so I did, and told her you wont like it and be carefull Long story short, we went for a ride and she was in front and went around a high speed turn and it started wollowing and it scard the sheet out of her, we got home and ask me to crank it back up. I just said, it will cost ya. Laughing

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down