Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wrapping pipes

4 posters

Go down

wrapping pipes Empty wrapping pipes

Post  Hudi Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:43 am

Decided to file my fins and paint my engine so after taking my pipes (cobra speedster longs) off i thought about wrapping them. there are a few reasons why i thought this would be a worthwhile mod. i had a reflection of a yellowing pipe on the chrome swing arm cover. you could see the blueing where the pipe goes into the engine. i thought the wrapping would lower the temp by my legs and i may also get more hp. here are some pictures of the process. the wrapping will be covered by my heat shields with no problems (i checked). there is also a silicon paint that i sprayed on them that seals and protects the wrapping, it also cures when heated to 400 degrees. it will be a while until i can test but i think it will have some benefits. [img]wrapping pipes HPNX0521[/img][img]wrapping pipes HPNX0537[/img]

Hudi

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Back to top Go down

wrapping pipes Empty Re: wrapping pipes

Post  gstanfield Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:35 pm

Looks good, I've wrapped headers on cars and it does show some improvement, however not one single header manufacturer that I've ever found will still warrenty a header after wrapping them. Not that it really matters to me, but this should indicate that it will shorten the life of the header pipes or else they wouldn't care.

Then again, I doubt you'll have any trouble from the Cobras, they're built a bit better than some of the other pipes out there.

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Hudi Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:50 am

i kinda figured this would void the warranty probably because you are modding them. i really dont care about the warranty on the pipes. if something happens to the heat shields, i would send them back not the pipes. wouldnt the wraps help keep the heat down on the pipes which would increase the life of them? i shouldnt have to worry about water because i dont ride in the rain and i put about 6 coats of silicon on them which is supposed to seal out moisture when it cures.

Hudi

Back to top Go down

Post  DocRawk Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:24 am

Wrapping the pipes would likely increase the life of the heat shields, but not the headers. The wrapping is an insulation which will keep the heat from dissipating out of the pipe into the heat shield. This means the headers themselves will likely get much hotter than they normally would. I'm still not sure I'd worry about it hurting anything though. I'd imagine those pipes would have to get pretty darn hot before you'd see any really stress from swelling and shrinking due to temperature change.
DocRawk
DocRawk

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:36 am

DocRawk wrote:Wrapping the pipes would likely increase the life of the heat shields, but not the headers. The wrapping is an insulation which will keep the heat from dissipating out of the pipe into the heat shield. This means the headers themselves will likely get much hotter than they normally would. I'm still not sure I'd worry about it hurting anything though. I'd imagine those pipes would have to get pretty darn hot before you'd see any really stress from swelling and shrinking due to temperature change.

+1 On our karts we wrap the pipes to keep getting your arms burnt adjusting the carbs while racing and it has cause some pipe failures because of excessive heat. We have had any in 4 years...same pipe, but others have.

.............bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Hudi Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:42 am

i think the best idea would be to take them off and just take it as a loss. i dont want to take any chances in the future. i guess that is how you learn. what is $60 these days anyways. i read to many cons on wrapping to keepthem on. thanks guys.

Hudi

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:35 pm

I wasn't trying to dissuade you from wrapping, just adding info you may have not been aware of. Even though there are potential downsides to it, I'd probabluy leave the wrap on myself, I've even thought of wrapping mine but I'm too lazy Smile

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Hudi Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:04 am

it seems like i should have done more research before doing this. they are already done with about 7 coats of silicon on it. i just dont want to have to buy new pipes in a few years if they are going to ruin them. how long do pipes usually last? do you think the pros outweigh the cons? i read that they will stink at first, will they always stink when i ride? i am confused. dont know if i should leave themon or take em off and lose my time and $60. i just love to do mods and sometimes should research more before i make a decision.

Hudi

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:14 am

Hudi wrote:it seems like i should have done more research before doing this. they are already done with about 7 coats of silicon on it. i just dont want to have to buy new pipes in a few years if they are going to ruin them. how long do pipes usually last? do you think the pros outweigh the cons? i read that they will stink at first, will they always stink when i ride? i am confused. dont know if i should leave themon or take em off and lose my time and $60. i just love to do mods and sometimes should research more before i make a decision.

Hudi,

Leave them on....I love the look. I was going to wrap mine till I decided to do the two into one and going to paint them black. If I can't get the outer shield to fit correctly and just use the exhaust pipe...I WILL wrap mine.

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hudi Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:26 am

here is the thing twin, the wraps are underneath the heat shields and you really cant see them (just from the chrome swing arm cover reflection and right by the manifolds). i put them on for maybe a little performance and less heat under me. so you think i should just leave them on and take a chance with my headers going bad sooner? my girlfriend bought me those pipes and she said no more pipes from her. would i have to adjust the carb, do think?

Hudi

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:39 am

Hudi wrote:here is the thing twin, the wraps are underneath the heat shields and you really cant see them (just from the chrome swing arm cover reflection and right by the manifolds). i put them on for maybe a little performance and less heat under me. so you think i should just leave them on and take a chance with my headers going bad sooner? my girlfriend bought me those pipes and she said no more pipes from her. would i have to adjust the carb, do think?

Heat is heat!!!!!!!!!!!! whether under the shield or not...the wrap is an insulator so I don't think they will get much hotter than without, well maybe a little but not much. I just wanted you to know in all the case of us wrapping the pipe, WE have not had a failure and others did. Only maybe one or two. I just wanted you to know what could happen......nothing is a sure thing when doing something NOT many people do. Now, if you are worried about the pipes your girlfriend bought you, well that's a different story. But you can always get scratched up pipes from guys who have changed brands or didn't like the scratches pretty cheap or free. I got some BUB for free + shipping.

Just so you know where I stand with this issue. I have ONLY heard of the heat shields failing, cracking, peeling, flaking, but never the exhaust itself. So, really it's on you. I can't tell you what will happen, but what I have heard and experienced and you are on a new level by putting it under the shields. My best is you really don't need the wrap unless you are worried about the outer shield bluing and then you should have a warranty about that with your pipe manufacture??????

Man, it's tough decision. But, HEY! If you wanted to be safe and NOT take any risk. You would drive a SUV right? I mean, we riding a car tire on a motorcycle....right????? According to others that aint safe either..............ehehehehehe

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hudi Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:54 am

with all that i have heard on here, i am just going to rip them off. the cons seems to be bigger than the pro. and if you cant see them anyways, and the performance will probably be unnoticable, then why keep them on. if this is the worst mistake that i make on the bike, then it aint too bad. thanks twin and everyone else for your insight

Hudi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down