Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blacked out pipes,

3 posters

Go down

Blacked out pipes, Empty Blacked out pipes,

Post  smokey2255 Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:09 pm

Okay ya'll here is how I did it.

1) Pulled the heat shields off

2) using an orbital (DA) sander with 150 grit paper I sanded until the copper under coating showed through evenly throughout the shield.

3) Cleaned the shield with a cleaning solution that is used in the body shops to ensure no oil or wax residue is left. I have been told by some very qualified individuals that common rudding alcohol will do the trick just fine. Make sure this wipe down is done with a clean lint free cloth.

4) I used Krylon high heat (1200 degree furnace) paint. I applied 4 even coats. (hanging the shields helps a lot here) Letting each coat dry in between, about 20 minutes between coats. I left the shields dry over night before installing them.

5) reinstall shields carefully it is very easy to get the shield into the peg mount i you do not move it far enough out of the way. (Don't ask.....but I know) Easy to touch up after install.

6) To heat cure the shields I ran the bike until it was warmed up then shut it down, Actually taking short trips. I did this a few time and have no issues at all with flaking. The only places I have lost any paint is where i have gotten into them. I have about 12,000 miles on these pipes and all is good. When I did scratch the paint, a qtip and a short squirt of paint into the cap and no more knick.

It actually takes a pretty hard hit with a wrench to scratch the paint off.

Enjoy
Smokey

Blacked out pipes, 2007_0724bikel0004

Blacked out pipes, 2007_0724bikel0001

Last edited by on Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Blacked out pipes, Empty Re: Blacked out pipes,

Post  Guest Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:38 pm

I think they look great and would even consider doing that to my bike. I am confused a bit about your instructions.

1) Are those stock pipes?
2) You took off the heat shields, painted the pipe and reinstalled the heat shields. I'm confused about this. Did you paint the heat shields, too?
3) If you painted the pipes and didn't reinstall the heat shields, was there a noticeable temperature difference?

I hope people don't get tired of my questions, which can be pretty simple ones. I'm just learning a lot of this.
My bike is that portland cement gray color and I think the black pipes would look good on it.

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:15 am

Shebear
My bad, I went and edited the post. I used pipes and shields meaning the same pieces. I actually only painted my shields. No they are not stock. They are cobra slash cuts that I lost one of the slash cut tips off of and ended up leaving them straight pipes.

Muntz named my pipes BLACK MAMBA'S.

Hope this helps. If not re word the question for my thick headed self and I will try again.

Have a great day all

Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:44 pm

Yup, that helped. I really like the look of that. I've got stock pipes so I will need to look at them and see what I can do.

Thanks. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Blacked out pipes, Empty BLACK MAMBAS

Post  Muntz Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:56 pm

smokey2255 wrote:Shebear
My bad, I went and edited the post. I used pipes and shields meaning the same pieces. I actually only painted my shields. No they are not stock. They are cobra slash cuts that I lost one of the slash cut tips off of and ended up leaving them straight pipes.

Muntz named my pipes BLACK MAMBA'S.

Hope this helps. If not re word the question for my thick headed self and I will try again.

Have a great day all

Smokey

I love the way the "Black Mambas" look on your bike if mine ever flake, rust etc. I'm gonna go Black Mamba style. I guess I'll have to call mine V & H Blackshots. :afro:
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:41 pm

I'm thinking that with my bike being the dark gray, with black seat and saddlebags and not too many shiny bits the black pipes would look awesome. I've seen very few mods that I've wanted to try, but this is one that really has my attention. Thanks for posting it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:00 pm

I had forgotten I had actually named a mod for someone else ........... happy, happy, joy, joy jocolor

Now to think of my own mod. Hhhmmmmmmmmmm, being half a bubble off aint gonna help in this department.
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:22 pm

Half a bubble ? I think your level is just a TAD out of calibration Laughing Laughing

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:02 am

smokey2255 wrote:Half a bubble ? I think your level is just a TAD out of calibration Laughing Laughing

See you out there
Smokey

It is ...... therefore half a bubble.

Ok ok ok ....... If the truth be known, the bubble is completely stuck to one side. But I think its a vaccum leak. Shocked
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:28 am

Muntz wrote:
smokey2255 wrote:Half a bubble ? I think your level is just a TAD out of calibration Laughing Laughing

See you out there
Smokey

Ok ok ok ....... If the truth be known, the bubble is completely stuck to one side. But I think its a vaccum leak. Shocked

Yeah yeah a vaccum leak that's it,, There is nothing at all wrong with the twisted tormented psyched out way that you think my friend

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:17 am

smokey2255 wrote:
Muntz wrote:

See you out there
Smokey

Yeah yeah a vaccum leak that's it,, There is nothing at all wrong with the twisted tormented psyched out way that you think my friend

See you out there
Smokey

The good news is you are taking us with you on your trip thru never never land. I think I am actually starting to understand what you say.
I'm getting scared. affraid
Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:44 am

jedishon wrote:
smokey2255 wrote:
Muntz wrote:

See you out there
Smokey

See you out there
Smokey

The good news is you are taking us with you on your trip thru never never land. I think I am actually starting to understand what you say.
I'm getting scared. affraid
Jerry

Yes, young apprentice, and now you will feel the true power of the darkside Twisted Evil Laughing
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: