Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Darksider almost have a question about Dyna Beads and Weights

3 posters

Go down

New Darksider almost have a question about Dyna Beads and Weights Empty New Darksider almost have a question about Dyna Beads and Weights

Post  Beermand Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:27 pm

Not really new here but my first post. I belong to the VTXOA and I have been wanting to switch to the darkside for a long time and finally wore my 2nd ME 880 out. I removed the rear wheel today and got the tire off and got the spoke rim ready to seal with the 3M 5200. I have a GTT sitting in the garage ready to mount after I seal the spoke rim. The question I have is, I am planning to put 3 oz of dyna beads in the GTT and run those instead of weights. A friend of mine told me I should not remove the weight on my spoke that came from the factory because that balances the wheel not the tire. I personally doubt that is the case, but wanted to ask you guys opinion since you have been doing it longer than me.

Thanks,
David

New Darksider almost have a question about Dyna Beads and Weights 100_5432
New Darksider almost have a question about Dyna Beads and Weights 100_5447
New Darksider almost have a question about Dyna Beads and Weights 100_5450
Beermand
Beermand

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2010-11-07

Back to top Go down

New Darksider almost have a question about Dyna Beads and Weights Empty Re: New Darksider almost have a question about Dyna Beads and Weights

Post  quadancer Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:17 pm

Weights balance the whole assembly, not the wheel itself. Dynabeads will do the same thing, and you CAN remove the weights.
Now, am I gone color blind, or is that a PINK TourPack you have on that bike?
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

New Darksider almost have a question about Dyna Beads and Weights Empty Re: New Darksider almost have a question about Dyna Beads and Weights

Post  CaribCruiser Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:24 pm

quadancer wrote:Weights balance the whole assembly, not the wheel itself. Dynabeads will do the same thing, and you CAN remove the weights.
Now, am I gone color blind, or is that a PINK TourPack you have on that bike?

+1 at Quad's post. One chooses the beads, others the weights.
Welcome by the way, keep us posted.

Quad has been with the boyscouts by the way and still has hawkeyes. Wink
CaribCruiser
CaribCruiser

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Beermand Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:27 pm

Thanks that is what I thought too. That is a pink tour pak and that is the wife's Shadow Aero she makes it her own! She also has tinted her memphis shades shield and lowers with pink too. Eventually she is going to have pink real fire flames painted on the pearl white too.

New Darksider almost have a question about Dyna Beads and Weights 100_5430
Beermand
Beermand

Back to top Go down

Post  CaribCruiser Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:44 pm

Nice scoots ! Pink is ok. The lady boss got a forum name already? We already have a Kermit, so all
options regarding her color are wide open ! 🐷 Wink
CaribCruiser
CaribCruiser

Back to top Go down

Post  Beermand Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:58 pm

She mostly goes by hippochick, no she isn't a hippo she collected them since she was little, if you look at the top of that pink trunk she has a pink hippo on there and the little stuffed pink rider on her rear seat is a stuffed hippo. She sold her 04 Aero she followed me all over the country on and just got the 07 pearl white one. She is a veteran of the Dragon and has ridden that twice with me now and she rides really well. Very proud of her. Just wish I hadn't spent so much money making the back of my X all comfy for her with peg extenders and floorboards and armrests only to have her get her own bike. She got a nail in her rear a couple of weeks ago and I put a new bridgestone Exedra on her bike. I am going to be the guinea pig on the darkside with my VTX 1800 and if it goes all right which I know I am going to love it then I will switch her over on the next rear tire she does. I did put the dyna beads in her rear tire but didn't take the weight off but I will tomorrow my friend with the tire changer was the one who told me not too.
Beermand
Beermand

Back to top Go down

Post  CaribCruiser Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:10 pm

Thx for the write up. You're both are more than welcome here.
CaribCruiser
CaribCruiser

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:41 am

You could put a piece of tape on where the weight was just in case, but IME, you won't need it.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Beermand Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:43 pm

Thanks everyone, took off the weights and I sealed the nipples of the spokes on Friday and just got my Kurvey Girl right angle valve stems in today so I was able to get the even coat of the 5200 on the wheel! Now just let it cure for a few days because I forgot to order the fast cure and I will try to mount the tire maybe thursday or friday. I have to work this weekend, but should be able to let you know how I like the GTT by next week.
New Darksider almost have a question about Dyna Beads and Weights 100_5458
New Darksider almost have a question about Dyna Beads and Weights 100_5464
Beermand
Beermand

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:19 pm

Don't get anxious. I didn't let mine cure long enough and one spoke leaked.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Beermand Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:40 pm

Thanks for the heads up I can't ride until next week anyway maybe I will wait until Monday to mount the tire.
Beermand
Beermand

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:26 am

This stuff is indestructible, unremovable, and stiff as tire rubber when it cures. I had a garden hose sprayer freeze and blow a hole in the liner, causing it to leak out of everyplace. I put a swipe of the 5200 on it and a week later, there's NO leaking at all! Consider that's with 70 lbs. water pressure too.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down