Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OK, Double Darkside

4 posters

Go down

OK, Double Darkside Empty OK, Double Darkside

Post  maurice Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:25 pm

Does anyone have many miles with a mt rear tire on their front? any suggestions on size change from stock for the vt1100? brands. thanks
my stock size is 110-90-19. The link to this tire has only a 100-90-19. You think that would be ok? http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/396/12107/ITEM/Avon-AM26-Roadrider-Rear-Tire.aspx

maurice
maurice
maurice

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2010-01-03

Back to top Go down

OK, Double Darkside Empty Re: OK, Double Darkside

Post  Painter D Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:14 am

I don't think going with a wider tire will work on our Spirits with such a narrow rim. Will a wider tire even clear widthwise with the fender bolts? I guess maybeone size fatter may work? Let us know how it works for you if you go that route. I may do it also if it works.
I'm still working on getting a 205/70 15" tire for the back yet. I wish it would quit snowing here Twisted Evil

Painter D

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post  maurice Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:19 pm

Painter D wrote:I don't think going with a wider tire will work on our Spirits with such a narrow rim. Will a wider tire even clear widthwise with the fender bolts? I guess maybeone size fatter may work? Let us know how it works for you if you go that route. I may do it also if it works.
I'm still working on getting a 205/70 15" tire for the back yet. I wish it would quit snowing here Twisted Evil

thanks Painter for responding! not too many interested in double dark i guess.
After more research I see there are many choices for rear mt with same size for stock ft tire. Even the weight is about the same which was also a concern. Now my only question is how long average do they last? Is it much better, like the back ct is so much better that mt tire?

Get that 205/70/15 altimax rt Painter. you will love it. I had a guy in town change it out for 30 bucks. good deal. seated easily. He had good equipment. Raced bikes so had alot of experience changing them.

maurice
maurice
maurice

Back to top Go down

Post  Painter D Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:55 am

Thanks for the info Maurice!
I can't wait to get one on. I change my own tires and use balance beads, so that's no big deal. I'd kinda like a symetrical tire (one with even tread pattern on each side) but now that you replied, I may change my tune and go with one like yours.
How much difference did you notice in the gearing? Did it bring down the RPMs out on the highway very much? I guess I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone here and may as well go with a little bigger diameter tire as long as it fits. I have a '96 VT1100c and I would think the rear fenders are identical.

Painter D

Back to top Go down

Post  maurice Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:30 pm

Painter D wrote:Thanks for the info Maurice!
I can't wait to get one on. I change my own tires and use balance beads, so that's no big deal. I'd kinda like a symetrical tire (one with even tread pattern on each side) but now that you replied, I may change my tune and go with one like yours.
How much difference did you notice in the gearing? Did it bring down the RPMs out on the highway very much? I guess I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone here and may as well go with a little bigger diameter tire as long as it fits. I have a '96 VT1100c and I would think the rear fenders are identical.

Yes Painter it did lower rpms a little. Now I just about have to be at 55 mph to put it in 5th most of the time. Sometimes if there is no wind, or load from slight elevation I can go down to 52,53. I know before the tire it was a little slower that I changed.
I really love how the tire handles. Better than the previous altimax 205-65-15. There seems to be no feeling of a glitch, or "square tire" perception in slow turns. The other one I felt a little on slow turns, not that it bothered me, but it was there. Not this one. You will most likely love it. I feel very secure in quick sweeping turns. Tell me how it goes!

maurice
maurice
maurice

Back to top Go down

Post  Painter D Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:20 am

Shit I only have the 4 speed transmission ('96) and can't shift to 4th until I'm going atleast 60 mph! With the new bigger tire on, it'll be closer to 65-70 before I shift (good!) and should be perfect on the interstate! Can't wait.

Painter D

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:19 pm

I have the Roadrider on the front of mine. Works good.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  maurice Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:40 pm

jedishon wrote:I have the Roadrider on the front of mine. Works good.

Jerry

Do you have same model bike as mine Jerry? also, how many miles on it, and do you know what mileage anyone gets on front going double darkside? just wonder if it is worth it. thanks

maurice
maurice
maurice

Back to top Go down

Post  CaribCruiser Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:29 pm

Maurice, I'm running another bike, but that's not important.
My next front tire will also be a rear MT, no question about it.
Just compare the tread of a rear tire with a regular front tire and you'll
see the difference. No doubt about if it will be worth it.
Good luck.
Robert.
CaribCruiser
CaribCruiser

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:16 pm

I have a 1300 R. Have over 5,000 on the tire and it looks new. figure I should get 20,000 out of it, while the next best was 12,000 on a ME880 for twice the price. Seems worth it to me so far. I'll keep you posted. It did take about 500 miles to break it in and get used to it. And it seems to handle better at 37 - 38 PSI instead of 41 likea normal front tire.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  maurice Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:00 am

ok guys, talked me into it. I will shop for one. thanks and i will report back.

maurice
maurice
maurice

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down