Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

06 VTX1300C

+3
smokey2255
jedishon
VTXSteve
7 posters

Go down

06 VTX1300C Empty 06 VTX1300C

Post  VTXSteve Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:35 am

OK, I just want to be sure I have everything I need to get going. I am looking at a GYTT P205/70R15 to keep speedo in check. Goodyear recommends a rim width (for a car) of 5" - 7" and the stock VTX rim is 4.25". Is this ok? What tire pressure have you found is best for this tire size? How often to you have to check tire pressure? How many ounces of dyna beads?

On a techy note, how does a dark side tire perform when cornering? For example, does the tire roll onto the corner / side of the tire in agressive turns or does the tread stay pretty much on the flat and roll the sidewall in a turn? I have had friends give their "logical" advice, but none are dark siders yet and thought I'd hear it from you personally.

As soon as I hear back, I'm on the way to get a tire!

Ready for the dark side!!!!! VTX Steve

VTXSteve

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-10-04

Back to top Go down

06 VTX1300C Empty Re: 06 VTX1300C

Post  jedishon Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:46 am

VTXSteve wrote:OK, I just want to be sure I have everything I need to get going. I am looking at a GYTT P205/70R15 to keep speedo in check. Goodyear recommends a rim width (for a car) of 5" - 7" and the stock VTX rim is 4.25". Is this ok? What tire pressure have you found is best for this tire size? How often to you have to check tire pressure? How many ounces of dyna beads?

On a techy note, how does a dark side tire perform when cornering? For example, does the tire roll onto the corner / side of the tire in agressive turns or does the tread stay pretty much on the flat and roll the sidewall in a turn? I have had friends give their "logical" advice, but none are dark siders yet and thought I'd hear it from you personally.

As soon as I hear back, I'm on the way to get a tire!

Ready for the dark side!!!!! VTX Steve

It will fit the rim. most start out in the 38-40 PSI range ride for a while to break the tire in and then adjust the pressure to suit their riding style. 3 oz's of dyna beads for a car tire. More does not work better.
There are lots of videos on you tube of the darkside where you can see what the tire does while turning. Seeing is believing.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:15 am

I am a freak ...... but I like the lower pressures on my scoot. While you are dicking around mounting the tire look at your shock bushings, If the bolts holding the shocks on are anything but dead center, replace them. They are cheap and this will save you from teh dreaded high speed wobble.
To answer your question about the characteristics of a car tire your pressure has a lot to do with how any given tire will act. More pressure the tire will stay rigid and you will feel it not exactly lift but close, I run a lower pressure so I feel the tire squat and set as I am rolling into the twisties. I may not be the hardest riding mofo around here but I do give the scoot a good workout every chance I get. I just like the squat set feeling. But have ridden with the higher pressure and can honestly say that there is absolutely no difference in the traction of the car tire no matter which you prefer. The tire will stick, the tire will stick the tire will stick.
Enjoy
See you out ehre
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  carbonbased Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:07 am

It will fit the rim. most start out in the 38-40 PSI range ride for a while to break the tire in and then adjust the pressure to suit their riding style. 3 oz's of dyna beads for a car tire. More does not work better.
There are lots of videos on you tube of the darkside where you can see what the tire does while turning. Seeing is believing.

Jerry

What are your search terms on youtube for the videos?

carbonbased

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-11-13

Back to top Go down

06 VTX1300C Empty Just finished Mine, Like IT!

Post  RandyHutVTX Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:29 am

Here is one -- Just google riding darkside

http://www.google.com/#q=riding+darkside&hl=en&prmd=ivfd&source=univ&tbs=vid:1&tbo=u&ei=kePfTI7XOoGBlAfGgpHpAw&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&sqi=2&ved=0CDgQqwQwAg&fp=817cdf09ff909a82
RandyHutVTX
RandyHutVTX

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:58 am

Have you looked at the one here. www.mcdarksiders.com after you hit enter there is a video to watch.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  carbonbased Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:30 am

Yeah, after stumbling around youtube's "darkside" variations, I found some good videos of car tires video'd at asphalt levels. After some analysis, I'll going to stick to with the 180 MC tire.

carbonbased

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-11-13

Back to top Go down

06 VTX1300C Empty MC tire?

Post  starider Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:14 am

You'll be back, sooner or later....
starider
starider

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  TazzMako Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:03 pm

VTX Steve, what was the verdict on the CT? I hav ethe same bike, '06 VTX1300C, running a Mich HydroEdge 205/70-15 on stock wheel. Fits perfect!! Took mine to a local indie shop after I got frustrated with it, took about 40psi to seat the bead on one side and 75 on the other! Finally able to post on here, been watching the site for several months. Went darkside about 2 months ago, all I can say is what in the h^^l took me so long!! Will never go back to a MT on a cruiser!!!! Twisted Evil
Still trying to figure this site out, will post some pics for those that want them as soon as I can!!!
TazzMako
TazzMako

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-12-06

Back to top Go down

06 VTX1300C Empty Update...

Post  VTXSteve Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:56 pm

Finally found a GYTT 205/70R15. This size is now discontinued. Had it mounted and put 3oz dynabeads in it. Put new Gary Ackerman polyurethane shock bushings on and adjusted shocks to a setting of "3". Started off at 36psi. Only thing I noticed different was the bike felt like it wanted to come back upright too fast as I came out of a hard corner. Went to 40 psi, that feeling went away but edge slipped in a corner when I goosed the heck out of it (probably would have with the Metzler also, but I never paid much attention before), then went to 30 psi and that was definitely too mushy in corners, now at 34 psi and everything is awesome!

I think the GYTT looks awesome on the bike too!

Total cost of tire, mounting, and dynabeads...$175. Total cost of a Metzler MC tire would have been $250. I'm sold!!!!!!!!

A friend of mine said I would only get about 25,000 miles on a car tire...anyone know about this? I was thinking I remember someone saying that I should get like 80,000?

VTXSteve

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down