Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new old tires

5 posters

Go down

new old tires Empty new old tires

Post  ESKIMO Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:11 pm

today was at a cycle shop and a customer (someone who i know) came in with a new tire that he wanted mounted on his bike as the one one the bike was toast.........mechanic came out of shop to tell the customer that the new tire that he carried in to be mounted was 12 years old...and that the rubber was very hard...customer told mechanic to mount it..which the mechanic did as customer wanted.....as customer was leaving the parking lot...clean concrete and entering the street( clean asphalt) rear tire did not did not grip roadway and bike did a 360 degree circle....bike goes down...highway bars kept bike from pinning rider underneath bike.......i was outside in parking lot when this happened...rider was behaving himself...not being aggressive with his take off......................................NOW..THIS WAS NOT A CAR TIRE....BUT A BIKE TIRE.....STILL ..IT CAR HAPPEN TO THE DAARKSIDERS.........RIDER AND BIKE WERE UNHURT......RIDER SAID HIS PRIDE WAS HURT MORE THAN HIS BODY WAS HURT....MY POINT IS...BE SURE YOU CHECK THE BORN ON DATE OF ANY TIRES YOU PUT ON YOUR BIKE AND WEAR THE MOLD RELEASE AGENT OFF..BE CAREFULL RIDE SAFE..ESKIMO....05 1800F2 TOYO T1r 215/45zr/18...

ESKIMO

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Back to top Go down

new old tires Empty Re: new old tires

Post  jedishon Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:35 pm

Good advice Eskimo. I give it often.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:05 pm

You shouldn't run a tire over 6 yrs old. Even illegal in Europe to sell one like that.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  vtx75 Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:11 am

Some people just dont think about them things some cant pass up a good deal on a cheap tire
vtx75
vtx75

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:47 pm

From what i read, the folks in the EU all know how to read the dating on a tire; over here I'd guess one in a thousand even ever heard of it. I check every tire and did all mine when I learned of it - threw one away.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

new old tires Empty re new old tires

Post  Larry Simpson Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:28 pm

Wrong, it was posted over here a year or two ago and drew a lot of attention.Most on this board read and learn and just post ocassionaly Laughing Laughing
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down