Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

very close now

+3
twin1300
jedishon
Greg Riddle
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

very close now Empty Alomst there

Post  Greg Riddle Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:15 pm

im almost ready to witch. but the handleing issue is holding me back.
im wondering if there is a tire that is well rounded on the sides and if it would help with countersteering.
also does it feel funny when riding slow in parking lots or just any slow manuvering.what is it like riding 2 up. most of my riding is with me and the B&C. Laughing
thanks for any input
Greg Riddle
Greg Riddle

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-07-15

Back to top Go down

very close now Empty Re: very close now

Post  jedishon Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:41 am

There are no problems countersteering with any tire. It might take a little more effort to start the turn, but after a few hundred miles you wont notice that anymore because it will become natural for you. The only thing I ever notice is once in a while the tire will hit a rut and want to ride on top of it instead of in it. But I must admit when I had a mt it would toss me from side to side when I got in a rut. Think I like on top better. Slow manuvering is slow manuvering. You want to turn sharper, turn the handle bars more.
I'm running a Yokahama Avid 205/70/15 on my 07 1300R and will do more than I have the nerve to ask it to.
In other words just go for it. There are enough people here now that you have to realize that it works. And since you are here asking questions you will switch over just to see for yourself if it could possibly be true. So just do it.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:40 am

+1 on what Jedison said. Here's the positive of more countersteering to get into the turns. When I had my motorcycle tire on the rear I was always having to over correct from getting in tooooo easy and turning sharper than the radius of the turn. Now it goes just where I point it and makes me a smoother rider! So, I think the added countersteer is a PLUS! I aint the only one that thinks this way!

Plus what Jedison said...I don't even notice it now and it all is second nature.

.....................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  ToMang07 Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:52 am

jedishon wrote:There are no problems countersteering with any tire. It might take a little more effort to start the turn, but after a few hundred miles you wont notice that anymore because it will become natural for you. The only thing I ever notice is once in a while the tire will hit a rut and want to ride on top of it instead of in it. But I must admit when I had a mt it would toss me from side to side when I got in a rut. Think I like on top better. Slow manuvering is slow manuvering. You want to turn sharper, turn the handle bars more.
I'm running a Yokahama Avid 205/70/15 on my 07 1300R and will do more than I have the nerve to ask it to.
In other words just go for it. There are enough people here now that you have to realize that it works. And since you are here asking questions you will switch over just to see for yourself if it could possibly be true. So just do it.

Jerry

Twisted Evil

[b]I agree! LOVE my GYTT! [/b]
ToMang07
ToMang07

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2010-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Riddle Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:13 pm

ordered a gytt today got some airsoft bbs .25 gram bought some sealant and sandpaper. should have spokes sealed and on the darkside by the end of the week

are you guys sure that the 205/65r15 will fit a 1300 s. not doubting just like to be sure
Greg Riddle
Greg Riddle

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:33 am

Greg Riddle wrote:ordered a gytt today got some airsoft bbs .25 gram bought some sealant and sandpaper. should have spokes sealed and on the darkside by the end of the week

are you guys sure that the 205/65r15 will fit a 1300 s. not doubting just like to be sure

Good luck and let's us know how it comes out. Remember, seating tires are very dangerous!
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:18 am

Greg Riddle wrote:ordered a gytt today got some airsoft bbs .25 gram bought some sealant and sandpaper. should have spokes sealed and on the darkside by the end of the week

It can be a challenge to seat, but it will fit. If you are running stock exhaust you will need to turn the exhaust bolts around so they don't rub.
Make sure you clean the rim with a scotch guard pad before you start. Like Twin says it can be very dangerous. Good luck.

jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  HawaiianVTX Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:32 pm

Just did my 1300s with a GYTT 205/70R15. There is about 1/2 inch clearance on both sides of fender. A 65 might be a little too wide. The shop said they required 140 psi to seat (I didn't seal my spokes, so had to use a tube). My thoughts is to let a pro do it.Thier normal rate for mounting a tire is $10.00 and they charged me $20.00 because it's a pain in the ass. Well worth the money. Good Luck.

HawaiianVTX

Registration date : 2010-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:41 pm

Always tip your guy if he has to work extra for it.
We put a Dunlop Signature 205/70/15 on my buddy's 1300VTX and he won't run anything else again. STRANGELY...he GAINED 14mpg after putting the wider, heavier, slightly taller tire on. I guess those bikes just don't like the tire Hondu recommends for them. Not to mention he'd only get 4k out of it.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Riddle Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:01 pm

HawaiianVTX wrote:Just did my 1300s with a GYTT 205/70R15. There is about 1/2 inch clearance on both sides of fender. A 65 might be a little too wide. The shop said they required 140 psi to seat (I didn't seal my spokes, so had to use a tube). My thoughts is to let a pro do it.Thier normal rate for mounting a tire is $10.00 and they charged me $20.00 because it's a pain in the ass. Well worth the money. Good Luck.

im confused. not real tire smart but shouldnt the 205/65 and the 250/70 be the same width.
Greg Riddle
Greg Riddle

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:41 pm

Yes they are. The 65 and 70 are different side wall heights. The 70 is a little taller, making the seat width a little narrower, so its a little easier to seat.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

very close now Empty re very close now

Post  Larry Simpson Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:03 pm

In a perfect world they should be the same width but in the real world I think you will find the 65 to be wider also.The demensions will also vary from one manufacturer to the next
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  HawaiianVTX Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:59 pm

I was under the impression that the first number was the overall size of the tire i.e. 205 cm with the second number was the percentage of side wall i.e. 70 being 70% side wall and leaving 30% for the width. If this is the correct ratio then a 205/70 would have 71.5 sidewall height and 61.5 tread width. A 195/65 would have 63.375 sidewall height and 68.5 width. This keeps with the other posts saying that the 70 would give you lower high end revs because of the increased sidewall height compared to the 65's.

HawaiianVTX

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:04 pm

I was under the impression that the first number was the width, PERIOD. The second is percentage of the first for height. This proved exactly true with my tires, so I don't see how a "leftover" percentage of the aspect height would equate to width. (called "depth" in tire lingo I see)

BTW, you will have a VERY pleasant surprise when you add a passenger! I found out yesterday, logged it in the Heritage thread.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  HawaiianVTX Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:58 pm

Stand corrected. Googled "Tire siz explained" and the site said same. first number is width in milimeters, second number is size of sidewall as a percentage of width and third number is whell size. So a 70 is taller tire than a 65. Now on to something else!!!!

HawaiianVTX

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:23 pm

Well, HERE is your something else: you can gear up/down the bike to correct speedos or just change gearing by using a different aspect ratio:
http://www.barretire.com/calculator.htm
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Riddle Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:06 pm

sealed the back rimturned out good.very close now Attachment
also ended up getting themich hydro edge 205/70 15

anyone else wanting to seal the spokes. alcohol cleans the sealant of realy easy
Greg Riddle
Greg Riddle

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:08 pm

cheers
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:22 pm

Greg Riddle wrote:sealed the back rimturned out good.very close now Attachment
also ended up getting themich hydro edge 205/70 15

anyone else wanting to seal the spokes. alcohol cleans the sealant of realy easy

Way to go Greg. Sounds like your well on your way. Don't forget to take a few pictures. Moon hates reading every thing, picture make it easy for him.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Riddle Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:23 pm

unfortuneately darkside is not going to work for me. it did feel weird but i think i could get used to that. the problem i hide was a nasty wable while i was in a turn and hit a dip in the road. any one want a michelin hydro edge let me know
Greg Riddle
Greg Riddle

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:05 pm

That was from the bushings on your shocks being worn out. Mine did the same. Put in new bushings, replaced the steering bearings with alls balls and never had another problem until the bushings wore out again. I would replace the bushings if it was me. To bade you gave up on it. The wierd feeling would have went away with air pressure changes. At any rate if you could write up a report for us I would like to read your experience.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:40 pm

I see you're now going to sell the tire without fixing the problem? Seems to me that what may be a shock problem became evident from the CT - but will still be there if you mount a MT back on there.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Riddle Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:41 pm

shock bushings are new
Greg Riddle
Greg Riddle

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:45 pm

Okay, then I would be checking a few other things. Let's see...axle, steering neck, and front wheel bearings. Tire pressure, as mentioned (different for each weight load), wheel balance (probably not this since it happened on a dip?) wind on that day, spoke tightness/adjustments (wheel runout), and the biggie, swingarm bushings. I wouldn't even ride it with ANY tire on it until I looked at all these things, which is a good idea anyway, anytime.
People seem to love that tire.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Riddle Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:01 pm

shock bushings good wheel runout not great but not enough to affect mc tire axle good steering bearings just checked good all wheel bearings good. i believe it was the way the car tie rides and the road conditions. also ride it gravel and dirt with ruts that didnt go well either. put the bike tire back on today and all is well. rides fine no wannle. but like i posted earlier it wasnt realy a wable. the best way i can explain it was when ihit uneven pavement and the bike kinda pushes to one dircetion riding over the uneven crack. it was like that only alot worse
Greg Riddle
Greg Riddle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next