Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

need advice

5 posters

Go down

need advice Empty need advice

Post  no-one Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:14 am

I have an1800 VTX RS, I installed a hydroedge 205-70-15 with a tube. I have taken the pressure up to 105 PSI and I am unable to get the tire bead to seat. Put alot of soapy water, lubricant and even put the tire back on the back ran it up to the rev limiter in 5th gear 140 mph and tire still won't seat. Crying or Very sad Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try to get the tire bead to seat?
no-one
no-one

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-04-09

Back to top Go down

need advice Empty Re: need advice

Post  smokey2255 Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:26 am

Put about 60psi in it and set it outside in the sun, then go to work.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:30 pm

We used something slicker than soapy water. JMO I used some slick cooking oil on mine! Be careful.....beading tires is very dangerous!

.......................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  no-one Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:13 am

i finally got my CT mounted with a liberal amount of dish soap, lots of air pressure and sitting in the hot sun. Thanks for everyones advice. Now i have another question. I have a squirm, or wiggle in the rear that starts around 95. I am running 35 psi, shocks set at 2. the ride seems pretty firm at that shock setting. VTX 1800 RS. where should i start looking, The wheel bearings seemed ok when i had the bike off the ground.
no-one
no-one

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:49 am

Check the shock bushings. They dont have be out of round by much to cause a wiggle. 95................

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:38 am

no-one wrote:i finally got my CT mounted with a liberal amount of dish soap, lots of air pressure and sitting in the hot sun. Thanks for everyones advice. Now i have another question. I have a squirm, or wiggle in the rear that starts around 95. I am running 35 psi, shocks set at 2. the ride seems pretty firm at that shock setting. VTX 1800 RS. where should i start looking, The wheel bearings seemed ok when i had the bike off the ground.

Go up on shock setting and check shock bushings as Jedison has said. Look also at the maybe tightening the steering head bearings. How many miles on the front tire....if it's excessively worn that could be it? Did you balance the car tire or did you use dyna beads?

......................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  no-one Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:07 pm

the shock bushings are probably worn. it is a 2003 i bought less than a year ago. it had 7,000 miles on it then about 12,500 now. I ordered a set of Gary's bushings this afternoon. The front tire has about 4500 miles on it and looks pretty good. it should make at least that many more. the tire was balanced, i have never tried dyna beads. i know the wiggle was not there prior to the tire change even above that speed.
no-one
no-one

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:25 pm

Because of the stability of the car tire it shows the weakness of the other parts. your bike is now riding on a 6" contact area instead if an inch to an inch and a half. In so doing the other parts are not used to trying to handle that and wear out faster. JMHO

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:37 pm

twin1300 wrote: We used something slicker than soapy water. JMO I used some slick cooking oil on mine! Be careful.....beading tires is very dangerous!

.......................bobby

Try a lot of KY. Im told that is some slickem stuff.
Sorry, I had to go there. Good luck. Ride safe

Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down