Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aspect Ratio

2 posters

Go down

Aspect Ratio Empty Aspect Ratio

Post  HenryInFrisco Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:11 pm

Having read many of the posts in this site, I believe I have come to some understanding of the advantages offered by a rear-mounted CT. As with all technical decisions, there are trade-offs. Here's one I haven't figured-out:

Can you confirm that a smaller sidewall aspect ratio for a given section width, diameter, tire family and air pressure will result in

1. a more stable back end of the bike, and

2. a smaller contact patch when the bike is leaned over
HenryInFrisco
HenryInFrisco

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-04-07

Back to top Go down

Aspect Ratio Empty Re: Aspect Ratio

Post  twin1300 Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:32 am

HenryInFrisco wrote:Having read many of the posts in this site, I believe I have come to some understanding of the advantages offered by a rear-mounted CT. As with all technical decisions, there are trade-offs. Here's one I haven't figured-out:

Can you confirm that a smaller sidewall aspect ratio for a given section width, diameter, tire family and air pressure will result in

1. a more stable back end of the bike, and

2. a smaller contact patch when the bike is leaned over

1. Negative on number 1. A smaller side wall DOES NOT make the bike more stable! Guys and ladies here are riding the 70 series with NOT one issue in handle or be out rode by a shorter side walled tire. I have ridden my 205/65/15 with 22 psi through the N. Georgia, TN, N. Carolina and it stuck like glue. Ask our darkside Rally people who came and rode with us. Heck, me and Smokey was dragging the hard parts with our bikes. If you have read many posts here and came up with that deduction, I need to go back to school and try to learn how to read and comprehend....LOL

Number 2. With the shorter sidewall and stiffer air pressure will cause a smaller contact patch, but it should still be larger than any motorcycle contact patch because of the compression of the side wall unless you go with them ultra low profile tires. Plus we don't suggest them anyway here. Now...I don't like shorter side walls, you defeated the purpose of the darkside and one of it's greatest attributes. A smoother ride! The taller the sidewall the smoother the ride!
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:51 am

The real trade off is and you will find that there isn't any!!! Rear motorcycle tire SUCK compared the handling and ride of the car tire on a cruiser!!!!

It OUT HANDLES, OUT RIDES, OUT PERFORMS......any motorcycle tire around. You cannot compare what you know about motorcycle tires to car tires. The car tire has softer rubber of by at least 20 points than any motorcycle tire... Here's the link.
https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/general-discussion-f6/durometer-test-on-205-and-dunniepics-added-t557.htm?highlight=durometer

Wet riding conditions are hands down 100% better with the car tire than any motorcycle tire around. The first thing worn and gone are the rain grooves on a motorcycle tire where you need it the most stopping and riding are in the middle and after a couple 1000 miles they are history. We always have rain grooves all the way until our tire is worn out.

Softer ride and way smoother than any motorcycle and it really shine two up riding compared to the motorcycle tire.

Now as far as riding the car tire aggressively, the few people who I know how who really countersteer and ride. With the car tire, I have never seen anyone with a motorcycle out do the same bike on a motorcycle tire. NEVER!!! Ask Smokey, or Smokenjoe????? Pm them and ask them what they think! I rode with them and chased all over those mountains and didn't get passed once by anyone! We passed tons of other people!!! hehehe Huh WhiteDevil!

This is NOT just my opinion, ask around and go back and re-read what the darkside is about.

Thanks for asking, just wanted to set some things straight that appeared out of line. hehehehe

Please ask around and get some more data.

......................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down