Small aspect 16's solution for FLST's

Go down

Small aspect 16's solution for FLST's

Post  quadancer on Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:30 pm

Can't find the tire? Here's an idea of mine...convert the BIKE!
It occurred to me that my 175/75/16 brought me up 5mph, putting my speedo dead on and making the engine rev less overall, which I love.
The Austone is still there, but what if it wasn't or if I wanted one of the more bayudayuzz tire treads?
I'd have to settle for downgearing to most likely a 175/60/16 or even a 55 aspect. But I dont' wanna bar hopper; I'm a cruiser.

It occurred to me...COMPENSATOR SPROCKET!~ We can gear UP with that, DOWN with the tire, and possibly match the 75 ratio or more!
All that remains is to do all the math, and figure the costs.
Your turn, boys! I'm tired frum alla this here thinkin'!

I can see those Yokahammers or Dunlop Wintersports on us now!
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Small aspect 16's solution for FLST's

Post  quadancer on Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:19 pm

did a lot of research tonite on it...stock for FLST is 25/36t primary and 32/70t on the belt sprockets. Seems that a 26t compensator is an odd duck, so a little more work is required - many have put on a 34T trans sprocket and loved it with stock tires, losing about 225 rpm or so at 70 mph. Several said the first gear takeoff was easily handled by the TwinCam motors.
a.) So there it is - a bit more labor, and maybe some gaskets, but around $170 for the sprocket. I know a primary gasket alone can cost $30, so this isn't exactly a super cheapo mod, but an overdrive at it's cheapest, regardless.
b.) Next in line would be the $500 "Twistgear" tranny gearset - helical gears with tight ratios thru fourth, and an overdrive 1:1 5th - shweet.
c.) After that would be the more or less "drop in" 6 speed gearset...but bring your banker.
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down