Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting to the details

3 posters

Go down

Getting to the details Empty Getting to the details

Post  MtBike Mon May 10, 2010 3:37 pm

First - Thanks for answering all my previous questions. I just need to line up the installer and buy the tire. I am hoping to get a custom MC shop near me to install the tire.

1. I assume you would recommend replacing the valve. On the 1300C it is a rt angle valve. Replace with same?? or are there other options.
2. Balancing: I believe the prevailing thought is to use dyna beads. If I don't want to go that route, what is the next best way to balance after mounting? I saw (maybe in this forum but cannot find it now) to use 2 jack stands and spin tire (add weights to top)... How good is that, and what weights does one use and where do you get them?
3.The wheel will have the bearings and the brake rotor. What care does the tire installer need to take, and what care do I need to take?

Yeah, I know, I am being very anal, but since it is one tire change for about 8 yrs, I want to do it right.

MikeB.

MtBike

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

Getting to the details Empty Re: Getting to the details

Post  jedishon Mon May 10, 2010 3:56 pm

I haven't replaced my stem yet. 3 tires and still working good.

Basic balance weights can be picked up almost anywhere they attach with double sided tape. But you might want to balance it every year if you go that way.

The person mounting your tire should know how to handle the wheel with the rotor on it.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon May 10, 2010 4:02 pm

MtBike wrote:First - Thanks for answering all my previous questions. I just need to line up the installer and buy the tire. I am hoping to get a custom MC shop near me to install the tire.

1. I assume you would recommend replacing the valve. On the 1300C it is a rt angle valve. Replace with same?? or are there other options.
2. Balancing: I believe the prevailing thought is to use dyna beads. If I don't want to go that route, what is the next best way to balance after mounting? I saw (maybe in this forum but cannot find it now) to use 2 jack stands and spin tire (add weights to top)... How good is that, and what weights does one use and where do you get them?
3.The wheel will have the bearings and the brake rotor. What care does the tire installer need to take, and what care do I need to take?

Yeah, I know, I am being very anal, but since it is one tire change for about 8 yrs, I want to do it right.

MikeB.

1. I haven't replaced mine yet! I ride an '05 1300C

2. I use air soft pellets from WalMart or some store equivalent! The .12gram size is what I use instead of dyna beads and you have to install them before you seat the bead. ****The will not go thru the valve stem. I have done both, have them spin balance it for and put the air soft pellets. Either way works for me.

3. I have never had to remove a bearing or rotor to have one mounted. I remove the wheel myself and take it to them to do the dirty!! LOL

Thanks for asking, we hope this answers some of your questions.

.................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  MtBike Tue May 11, 2010 10:07 am

jedishon wrote:I haven't replaced my stem yet. 3 tires and still working good.

Basic balance weights can be picked up almost anywhere they attach with double sided tape. But you might want to balance it every year if you go that way.

The person mounting your tire should know how to handle the wheel with the rotor on it.

Jerry

Famos last words...."SHOULD". I want to make sure they know...

Smile

MikeB.

MtBike

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down