Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Damaging tire when seating bead????

3 posters

Go down

Damaging tire when seating  bead???? Empty Damaging tire when seating bead????

Post  MtBike Mon May 10, 2010 2:48 pm

What would you say should be the max air pressure when you attempt to seat the bead? I am guessing that if you put 100psi or even 80psi into a tire to seat it, it could be damaging the tire???????

Reason for asking:
A co-worker has a friend who use to park his bike on a sidewalk (many years ago). He would drive and bounce his front wheel up on a curb to get there. He subsequently had a front tire fail, and this failure was attributed to him bouncing on the curb daily and that broke down the side walls...... I know it is not apples to apples, and this was continuous abuse, but my thinking is the excessive air pressure may cause some damage also.

MikeB.

MtBike

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

Damaging tire when seating  bead???? Empty Re: Damaging tire when seating bead????

Post  jedishon Mon May 10, 2010 3:50 pm

Sorry I don't have an answer for you. I've seen people go to 110 to seat the bead, but haven't heard any bad reports back about tire failure.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Damaging tire when seating  bead???? Empty Re: Damaging tire when seating bead????

Post  twin1300 Mon May 10, 2010 4:09 pm

Any tire can fail!!! Any tire can have a defect!!!

Every time you ride..you ride at your own risk and the car tire is NO different! If I wanted to be safe, I would have bought an SUV or a Hummer (no offense WhiteDevil...LOL)!!!!

This is not a slam, but the ugly truth! If you are asking us can a tire fail.....YES!!!! If you are asking can we tell you the over pressuring will not damage the tire...NO, anything can happen. So far it has not happened and I pray not!

.....................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  MtBike Tue May 11, 2010 9:16 am

I understand bad things can happen, and I accept the risk. But the risk needs to be defined. For example skydiving has an inherent risk that the shoot may not open. But if the shoot is packed poorly, the risk is greater. You would not want to jump with a shoot that was packed by someone with no experience in packing.

What I am asking is "Does it take greater pressure to seat the c/t bead on a m/c rim than on a c/t rim?" If the answer is yes, then the next question is "Does this increased pressure damage the tire?" If it does damage the tire then that is added risk that one may or may not accept... but it is at least a defined risk that someone can make a proper judgment on.

I would guess there is a max pressure defined on tires (max pressure to seat the bead) by the mfg.

MikeB.

MtBike

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Tue May 11, 2010 9:35 am

You are over thinking the whole thing. Any tire can be damaged while mounting, even mt. We don't dwell on it because we would rather be riding. If you are thinking this much before you put the tire on then you will spend all your riding time wondering if every thing is okay and if it should feel this way or that way or should it handle like this or that instead of enjoying the ride. A car tire is not for every one. To save your self some anxiety and worry you might want to consider staying with a mt. It is your choice I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  MtBike Tue May 11, 2010 10:34 am

jedishon wrote:You are over thinking the whole thing. Any tire can be damaged while mounting, even mt. We don't dwell on it because we would rather be riding. If you are thinking this much before you put the tire on then you will spend all your riding time wondering if every thing is okay and if it should feel this way or that way or should it handle like this or that instead of enjoying the ride. A car tire is not for every one. To save your self some anxiety and worry you might want to consider staying with a mt. It is your choice I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Jerry

Jerry - You caught me... That is my personality to look at every aspect of things. But this allows me to know I did all the investigation I could and made the best choice I could and not think about it any more. I never second guess myself once I commit to a direction. So thank you for your info and suggestion.

I did talk to a car tire store and they said that some tires are harder to mount than others. Damage that could be caused by over inflating during the seating (if not catastrophic) would be breaking a belt or weakening the rubber. Both of which would be visible during tire inspection or balancing. They would show up as deformations in the tire. If the damage was very minor and not visible, and becomes worse during riding, it would be felt as a bounce in the tire or a bulge in the sidewall before a catastrophic fail.

So bottom line is that there appears to be no significant increase in risk of tire failure, and you would need to inspect the tire as you would before any ride.

MikeB.

MtBike

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down