Interested in others' CT mounting stories

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Interested in others' CT mounting stories

Post  wren on Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:05 am

Haven't been here in a while but I now have a reason for wanting to hear from others.

I've been mounting CTs for folks for about eight years now. It's been a pretty cut and dried experience for me. Haven't had any problems mounting CTs til recently.

I've always mounted CTs after a thorough cleaning of the rims, use diluted Dawn dish soap and pressures around 100 psi have been normal to bead the tires.

I've noticed this year that getting the tires to bead has gotten more difficult. I put an Alti Max on my bike last week and it took 125 psi to bead it. I didn't like that at all but I got it on and she's rolling true. Had a tire three weeks ago that took 120 psi. It finally beaded.

Had a guy come in last week to change out a CT I mounted for him two years ago. He'd worn it down to the wear bars. The first replacement tire I went to mount was a Mastercraft Touring LSR. That puppy would not bead at all. With the owner's urging I put insane pressure to it -130 psi. I reset the bead eight or ten times. I let it set overnight with 120 psi. No bead. I told the owner I'd had enough of that tire and somebody was gonna get hurt if I kept playing with it.

He brought me a Multi-Mile Matrix Tour RS to mount. No bead. Reset and reset. I was at 110 psi, one side beaded and looked like the other was sliding into place. I have no idea why I did it and no excuse, 'cause I know better, but I had my hand laying on the tire - and she blew out. Right where my hand was laying. Yeah, I now have a badly injured hand. It's gonna be useless for some time.

Posted this experience at the Cafe and in responses I hear of tires blowing out now at far less pressures than I've been working with. Also tires are beading at far less pressure than what I've come to accept as normal.

Guess I'm real interested in what other folks are dealing with now. I've got a real painful curiousity, if ya know what I mean.

Wren

wren

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-08-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Interested in others' CT mounting stories

Post  rmccutchan on Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:25 pm

Jeez.....that's scary stuff. I've never mounted a ct before, but that sounds extreme. One possibility: I've heard of tires being made in different locations. In other words, and Altimax could have been made somewhere in the USA, or it could have been made in another country, or they could come from different factories within the US. I'm not saying one is better or worse than the other, but the mold could be set up a little differently at the different factories. I would think a millimeter or two could make a difference. Surely there is a code on the tire to tell where it came from, so it would be interesting to keep track of the locations.
rmccutchan

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2013-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Terry1013 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:36 pm

My first experience mounting was difficult. I mounted a Goodyear viva II and it exploded at 115 psi. I used the old race car driver technique after that and left it in the sun with 80 psi in it. After a few hours I checked and it had beaded up ok. I always use a clip on tire chuck and put it out in thr driveway and regulate the pressure from the compressor. This last time I had to grind the raised hump on the inside of the rim and it took about 3days of trying before it beaded up at about 95 psi.

Terry1013

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  coldweatherfreak on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:55 am

I learned something a long time ago with split rim truck wheels, thankfully, not the hard way for me but for someone else, use a cage

me things its a good idea for any wheel that takes more than 40-50 psi to seat the bead
coldweatherfreak

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post  toolsbody on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:24 am

The nexen 165/80-15 that I put on my spoked wheel wasn't too bad. It beaded at about 60psi or a little over. Maybe I had good luck 'cause I spent so much time in wheel preparation. I cleaned and sanded it with a scotch brite pad and then applied car polish and buffed it till it was slick to touch. Then I applied liberal amounts of Goop hand cleaner for lubrication. I had let the air out and work the bead around several times before one side beaded and then the other.Smile
toolsbody

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2013-05-30

Back to top Go down

Tire seating

Post  Khuts on Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:44 am

Hi there;

I have changed many tires, from small garden tractor tires up to a 22.5 tire both
manually and with a machine Smile .

My experience has had differentiating levels of success hmmm .

I remember years ago when I used to put on old VW type tires on my sportster or
my home made rat Shocked and usually had no problems. If I'm up against a tough
tire install and it's not cooperating with the seating I find that allowing it to heat
up a bit and throw the wheel/rim into your freezer cold for a short bit and using a
good liquid soap from my wife's collection (don't tell her) has always worked for me.
(mind you explaining to the Mrs what a rim is doing in our freezer is fun lafer )

But, the most important thing to note is "patience" and being "aware".

Sorry to hear your having the time you are banghd .

Cheers
Khuts
Khuts

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post  justbike on Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:12 am

My friend and I have mounted quite a few CTs we use dyna beads for balancing so don't use traditional tire lube. I always use a rf and they are harder to mount. We have had success using silicone spray on the tire and rim. Also they make a special lube for mounting when using dyna beads and it works ok. I think the silicone worked best though

justbike

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2011-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Duug on Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:38 am

My 205/65/16 used Khumo ct was bought for 22.00 and installed with tire spoons for another 5.00

It's been on over a year now, ridden hard pretty much every day with no noticeable wear w/triple digit commutes to Miami and back.

Last summer,....I rode it to NC and though great on the interstate,...I missed my bridgestone 200 on the back when I got into the twisties.

Duug

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2015-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post  chuckwgn on Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:43 pm

Installing CT on Kawa Vulcan with 15" spoked wheels. Don't know how much air I put into it. My compressor shuts off at 130. Anyway, it wouldn't seat an wouldn't seat. Kept putting more air to it. the tire exploded. Had to check my pants afterwards. It bent the rim too. Now I have a solid rim and not seating. I am up to 60 PSI and am scared to go further. Sticker on tire says max of 40 to seat the bead.

chuckwgn

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2014-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post  chuckwgn on Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:53 pm

Installing CT on Kawa Vulcan with 15" spoked wheels. Don't know how much air I put into it. My compressor shuts off at 130. Anyway, it wouldn't seat an wouldn't seat. Kept putting more air to it. the tire exploded. Had to check my pants afterwards. It bent the rim too. Now I have a solid rim and not seating. I am up to 60 PSI and am scared to go further. Sticker on tire says max of 40 to seat the bead.

chuckwgn

Back to top Go down

Post  chuckwgn on Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:57 pm

[quote="wren"]Haven't been here in a while but I now have a reason for wanting to hear from others.

I've been mounting CTs for folks for about eight years now. It's been a pretty cut and dried experience for me. Haven't had any problems mounting CTs til recently.

I've always mounted CTs after a thorough cleaning of the rims, use diluted Dawn dish soap and pressures around 100 psi have been normal to bead the tires.

I've noticed this year that getting the tires to bead has gotten more difficult. I put an Alti Max on my bike last week and it took 125 psi to bead it. I didn't like that at all but I got it on and she's rolling true. Had a tire three weeks ago that took 120 psi. It finally beaded.

Had a guy come in last week to change out a CT I mounted for him two years ago. He'd worn it down to the wear bars. The first replacement tire I went to mount was a Mastercraft Touring LSR. That puppy would not bead at all. With the owner's urging I put insane pressure to it -130 psi. I reset the bead eight or ten times. I let it set overnight with 120 psi. No bead. I told the owner I'd had enough of that tire and somebody was gonna get hurt if I kept playing with it.

He brought me a Multi-Mile Matrix Tour RS to mount. No bead. Reset and reset. I was at 110 psi, one side beaded and looked like the other was sliding into place. I have no idea why I did it and no excuse, 'cause I know better, but I had my hand laying on the tire - and she blew out. Right where my hand was laying. Yeah, I now have a badly injured hand. It's gonna be useless for some time.

Posted this experience at the Cafe and in responses I hear of tires blowing out now at far less pressures than I've been working with. Also tires are beading at far less pressure than what I've come to accept as normal.

Guess I'm real interested in what other folks are dealing with now. I've got a real painful curiousity, if ya know what I mean.

Wren

Installing CT on Kawa Vulcan with 15" spoked wheels. Don't know how much air I put into it. My compressor shuts off at 130. Anyway, it wouldn't seat an wouldn't seat. Kept putting more air to it. the tire exploded. Had to check my pants afterwards. It bent the rim too. Now I have a solid rim and not seating. I am up to 60 PSI and am scared to go further. Sticker on tire says max of 40 to seat the bead. Wal-Mart Douglas All-Season Tire 195/65R15

chuckwgn

Back to top Go down

Post  rrounds on Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:26 pm

My Honda cast wheel has no problem mounting c/t onto it, but my brothers Suzuki he couldn't get any of the three tires he bought to seat so he took the wheel down to a machine shop and had the high spot turned down .030 Now all his tires mount onto the wheel at about 40 to 55 psi depending on the tire manufacture.

ROD

rrounds

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top