Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie taking the plunge

3 posters

Go down

Newbie taking the plunge Empty Newbie taking the plunge

Post  ymark98 Tue May 04, 2010 4:30 pm

Greetings from Eastern Iowa

I'm just about to take the plunge into the Darkside with my first CT on my '02 Wing. Not much around here in the way of options. I found a Bridgestone Protenza G019 Grid for $104 at Tires Plus in Iowa City. The Tires Plus dealer in Cedar Rapids is looking for a Run-Flat Bridgestone Turanza ER300-2 RFT for me.

Any thoughts on run-flat vs normal? I've seen both side of the issue here on the list. Anyone use either of the Bridgestone tires? I almost forgot - any recommendations on tire pressure?

The only Kumho dealer in Iowa first told me that 195-55-16 was not a valid tire size, then he tried to sell me one that he could get "in a few days".

Local Honda shop says they have no problem installing the CT on the Wing - advised against it - but will do it. They installed one on a VTX that the guy loves and a rider here at work with a VTX said it was an awesome change to his bike. My Dunlop E-3's lasted less than 10K!!!!

Thanks!!

Ron
'02 Goldwing - Yellow (of course) - 'Lady Hawk'
ymark98
ymark98

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-05-28

Back to top Go down

Newbie taking the plunge Empty Re: Newbie taking the plunge

Post  jedishon Wed May 05, 2010 6:49 am

The only people that should be using run flats are the ones that have monitoring systems. Otherwise they are a risk. That of course is my humble opinion.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed May 05, 2010 8:20 am

The only car tire failure that I ever saw was a run flat on a wing. The tire went flat and he didn't realize it, kept right on riding and the tire over heated and blistered the edges all the way around to the core! It was totally in three pieces almost, the center tread and two side walls with the edges wore slap in two. He didn't crash but was stuck not being able to ride it and have it hauled in.

JMO....................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Newbie taking the plunge Empty Thanks

Post  ymark98 Wed May 05, 2010 1:35 pm

Thanks for the info. I decided to just go with the regular Portenza. Just have to get it to the Honda Shop tonight.
ymark98
ymark98

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-05-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down