Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm taking my ACE Tourer to the Darkside, need help.

+8
nodak_ACE_T_rider
Danodemotoman
btaillon
jedishon
Shadow1100T
twin1300
Steve-O
Chicago
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I'm taking my ACE Tourer to the Darkside, need help. Empty I'm taking my ACE Tourer to the Darkside, need help.

Post  Chicago Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:04 pm

Hello Darksiders. The stock tire on my ACE Tourer is a 170/70-16. I'm currently running the Valk-size 180/70-16 Dunlop D206 MT. I know there are some T riders here judging from the "Front tire wanted" threads. What size/brand are you using?

BTW The best place for front tires is eBay.

Chicago

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

I'm taking my ACE Tourer to the Darkside, need help. Empty Re: I'm taking my ACE Tourer to the Darkside, need help.

Post  Steve-O Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:17 pm

750 or 1100?
Cast or spoke wheels? (Tube or tubeless)

I'm interested in the comments about front tires. You said the best place to get them is ebay. What have been your experiences there? I'm looking to get a new one in a month or two.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

I'm taking my ACE Tourer to the Darkside, need help. Empty Re: I'm taking my ACE Tourer to the Darkside, need help.

Post  Chicago Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:56 am

1100, cast wheels. I have had excellent results on eBay. What I do is I find the best retail price for what I'm looking for, then hit eBay and see if I can beat that price. 99 times out of 100 I can. I've picked up brand new D206F's for as little as $50.

Chicago

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:00 am

Getting a 16" that small is going to be hard. If you had a 15" the VW tire would be a dream! 165/80/15!

.....................twin

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:20 am

You sure it's a 16?

I'm not finding anything on discount tire for a 16" rim.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  Chicago Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:32 pm

Steve-O wrote:You sure it's a 16?

I'm not finding anything on discount tire for a 16" rim.

Unfortunately for me, yes. 100% sure. Also, to make it even tougher, I want a tire that is at least the same diameter that I'm running now. The bike is geared too low as it is. I estimate I can squeeze a 195 in between the swingarm, but I'm worried about the crown of the fender vs. the square sidewalls.

No one here knows what an ACE Tourer is? No one's riding one?

Chicago

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:42 pm

We know what one is....not just familiar with the tires..... Very Happy

16" is almost going to be impossible to find because of the low profile nature of custom tires and performance of them! They are usually wide or none existent!

Sorry I don't have better news for you!

........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Chicago Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:00 pm

Tirerack.com lists a Continental Vanco-8 tire in 185/75-16 for $115 to my door. Anyone have any experience with this tire?

Chicago

Back to top Go down

I'm taking my ACE Tourer to the Darkside, need help. Empty 1100T rear tire

Post  Shadow1100T Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:13 am

Tirerack.com lists a Continental Vanco-8 tire in 185/75-16 for $115 to my door. Anyone have any experience with this tire?
==============================================================
I would be extremely interested to know if this tire would fit the 1100T, I have a sidecar on mine and the OEM rear tires don't last all that long, when it comes to 16" tires there just isn't many to choose from (like none I found) so if you decide to try this one out PLEASE let us/me know any info you can share, in my case it would be VERY much appreciated. Very Happy

Looking forward to your post,
Ted

Shadow1100T

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:54 am

I found a 195/60-16... http://www.treadepot.com/tirelist.html
Closest I could come up with. Sorry

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

I'm taking my ACE Tourer to the Darkside, need help. Empty Tourier rear tire

Post  btaillon Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:51 am

You have an option of putting an Sabre rim on your bike It will fit on there and you have more tire choise for rear tires.
I have an Aero that came with a spoke rim so I went with the Sabre rim. Any Shadow with a disc rear brake rear rim will fit any other Shadow with a disc brake rear rim. I'm happy with my Ct I have 5000 miles on the CT and will never go back to the motorcycle tire.
Brett

btaillon

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Chicago Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:05 am

The problem with the Sabre rim is that I'd have to make up the 1" difference in rim diameter with tire size. I really don't want to go with a smaller diameter tire as my engine is too busy as it is.

Actually, I'm going to have to put this entire project on hold because I'm down to working 4 days a week and I already have 3 Valk-sized Dunlop D-206's in my garage now.

Chicago

Back to top Go down

Post  Chicago Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:13 am

Shadow1100T wrote:Tirerack.com lists a Continental Vanco-8 tire in 185/75-16 for $115 to my door. Anyone have any experience with this tire?
I would be extremely interested to know if this tire would fit the 1100T, I have a sidecar on mine and the OEM rear tires don't last all that long, when it comes to 16" tires there just isn't many to choose from (like none I found) so if you decide to try this one out PLEASE let us/me know any info you can share, in my case it would be VERY much appreciated. Very Happy

Ted

Almost everyone on the Shadow ACE Tourer Forum on Yuku is running the Valk-sized 180/70-16 Dunlop D206 or E3, Avon Venom R or Cobra, Bridgestone Excedra, etc. with no problems. Just by looking at the swingarm on my T, I guesstimate there's room for a 185 under there with no problems. The only place I could forsee a tire rub is where the square sides of the CT meet the rounded rear fender. I'm broke right now so I'll have to wait, but you should go for it if you can.

Chicago

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:08 am

Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadow1100T Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:08 am

A belated Thanks Steve, been a little lax in hitting the dark side, I really do appreciate your impute on this.

Ted

Shadow1100T

Back to top Go down

I'm taking my ACE Tourer to the Darkside, need help. Empty side car tire

Post  Danodemotoman Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:55 am

In my search for a 16" tire for my stock Concours wheel came across this tire from Holland. I ordered it thru Les Schawb and they got it thru a New Jersey distributor delivered west coast for $153
Vredestein Comtrac 175/R75-16, It is a a load range D. 2 ply sidewalll and 5 ply tread, load range D.
HeavyDuty. Designed for use on the euro van. I 'assumed' light van but now realized full size van when I received it and viewed the rating on the sidewall. I can always use it as a skinny spare on my 1ton ford van. I will try it first on the Concours as it is mounted on my stock MC wheel but not yet on the bike. I am now using a 15" wheel from the old Kaw Eliminator and a 165/80R15 car tire that give me a near identical stock drive ratio.
The bike has a 150/R80-16 MC tire as stock so this Verdestien tire should have a + 9% overdrive ratio.
May be a mistake me using a euro spec van tire but may be applicable to the side car if the tire does not give you the OD size.
I wanted one with a more stiff sidewall and this baby is very stiff. I had to use two C clamps to squeeze the tire beads down to get the bead into the wheel well to finish mounting the remaining tire bead over the rim. Was fine to bead at 35 psi.
Dan P

"I would be extremely interested to know if this tire would fit the 1100T, I have a sidecar on mine and the OEM rear tires don't last all that long, when it comes to 16" tires there just isn't many to choose from (like none I found) so if you decide to try this one out PLEASE let us/me know any info you can share, in my case it would be VERY much appreciated. Very Happy

Ted[/quote]

Danodemotoman

Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  nodak_ACE_T_rider Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:29 pm

Any news on the T car tire? I'm new to the forum, I come from the yuku ace T forum. I too have a T and am convinced that I want to go with a CT if I can find one that works well. I'm wondering if I could get a 205 into the fenders without clearance problems, because the choices seem to increase drastically for the 16" rim and some the the tires with the deep V tread seem to have a rounded shape on the edges like an MC and look pretty cool to boot.

nodak_ACE_T_rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post  HaChayalBoded Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:14 pm

Chicago wrote:Tirerack.com lists a Continental Vanco-8 tire in 185/75-16 for $115 to my door. Anyone have any experience with this tire?

Too tall and wide, the only tire I have ever found that would fit the T is the one used on the Lotus Elise

Shadow1100T wrote:Tirerack.com lists a Continental Vanco-8 tire in 185/75-16 for $115 to my door. Anyone have any experience with this tire?

Ted

The OEM tire sux, if you can't find the Elise tire for a decent price move up to a Valk or GW rear tire.

Danodemotoman wrote:In my search for a 16" tire for my stock Concours wheel came across this tire from Holland. I ordered it thru Les Schawb and they got it thru a New Jersey distributor delivered west coast for $153
Vredestein Comtrac 175/R75-16, It is a a load range D. 2 ply sidewalll and 5 ply tread, load range D.
HeavyDuty. Designed for use on the euro van. I 'assumed' light van but now realized full size van when I received it and viewed the rating on the sidewall. I can always use it as a skinny spare on my 1ton ford van. I will try it first on the Concours as it is mounted on my stock MC wheel but not yet on the bike. I am now using a 15" wheel from the old Kaw Eliminator and a 165/80R15 car tire that give me a near identical stock drive ratio.
The bike has a 150/R80-16 MC tire as stock so this Verdestien tire should have a + 9% overdrive ratio.
May be a mistake me using a euro spec van tire but may be applicable to the side car if the tire does not give you the OD size.
I wanted one with a more stiff sidewall and this baby is very stiff. I had to use two C clamps to squeeze the tire beads down to get the bead into the wheel well to finish mounting the remaining tire bead over the rim. Was fine to bead at 35 psi.
Dan P

[/quote]

Are you in NJ? I also have a Connie and an ACE T

HaChayalBoded

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  HaChayalBoded Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:16 pm

Just to clarify, the tires I'm referring to are for the front of a BASE model Elise, its a 175\55R16 tire. The sport model uses a 195 up front which is too big for the T.

The tire is a Yolahama ADVAN Neova AD07. They're $192 from tire rack, which is A LOT of dough for a tire, BUT a new MC tire bought at a dealer can cost as much so I guess if its your only option is not too bad. Plus you'll easily get 50k miles on of it. I personally got just over or just shy of 20k on my rear tire running a Valk ME 880.

Link to Tirerack
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?width=175/&ratio=55&diameter=16&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&PID=2379629&AID=10398365&

In case anyone needs the info,
the OEM rear wheel on a T is 4.5"x16"
The OEM tire height is 25.37"
The Valk and VTX1800C tire height is 25.92"
The GL1500 tire height (180/80-16) is 26.08"
The GL1800 tire height (180/60-16) is 24.50 "

That Lotus Elise tire has a height of 23.58 and a width of 6.9" mounted

Last edited by HaChayalBoded on Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : updated information.)

HaChayalBoded

Back to top Go down

I'm taking my ACE Tourer to the Darkside, need help. Empty I ride one

Post  army X Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:36 am

twin1300 wrote:We know what one is....not just familiar with the tires..... Very Happy

16" is almost going to be impossible to find because of the low profile nature of custom tires and performance of them! They are usually wide or none existent!

Sorry I don't have better news for you!

........................bobby

I've been riding my ace now 9 yrs have almost 82,000 on it been a great bike.John from florida space coast

army X

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-01-03

Back to top Go down

Post  HaChayalBoded Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:43 pm

Do we have any updates here? I'm about to just say screw it and get a Sabre rim for the bike.

HaChayalBoded

Back to top Go down

Post  btaillon Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:31 am

Get the Sabre rim and get a 205/70-15 tire. It should work and make up for the difference in the 16 inch rim.
Brett

btaillon

Registration date : 2008-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadow1100T Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:19 am

You can get a tire that will fit from Corker tire 500/525, it say;s it's a tube tire but I installed it without a tube and it's holding air just fine, I only have about 300 miles on it so can't comment about longevity.

http://store.cokertire.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=500/525-16

Shadow1100T

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:14 am

btaillon wrote:Get the Sabre rim and get a 205/70-15 tire. It should work and make up for the difference in the 16 inch rim.
Brett

+1...best advice yet! You have a ton of options this way!

............................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

I'm taking my ACE Tourer to the Darkside, need help. Empty Solution I promise! I have been running a car tire on my 98 1100 Ace Tourer

Post  Shadowman1100AceTour Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:38 pm

I am running my second car tire on my 98 Shadow 1100 ACE Tourer with stock mag rims. The first was a 205/60R16 and I had an issue with the side walls rubbing the fender rail bolts. I also experienced instability from the tire so I will not be naming this tire. I purchased a Dunlop SP Sport 5000 high speed tire 195/60R16 from Kauffman tire. $150 bucks, and it has a nice rounded profile that rides almost like a motorcycle tire. No problems with stability and it runs quiet and has great grip. So far I have only 400 miles on it, but it is fantastic. I have about 3/16" clearance on the fender walls and have no problems with sidewall rubbing. I have made a video andf will be posting it on you tube soon and probably will come back here and post the link. I have also upgraded to heavy duty rear springs as i am a large man and well i won't say a thing about my passenger, LOL. The shocks were a $300 upgrade from progressive. I also am running Progressive fork springs and the Tourer rides much firmer and has almost no dive. Suspension relates to tires and hadeling and that is why I bring it up. We will save a bunch of money on tires and why not splurge a little on upgrades. I did spring the fender out just a little but that was for the 205 tire. I suspect you wont have a problem with the 195.

One tip: You will need to deflate the tire to work it past the drive hub, then reinflate it. I am running 40psi and the tire is rated for 41psi. Did no balancing and it runs perfectly smooth.

I hoist my bike with an engine lift and heavy duty strapping. Makes for an easy tire change.

I hope this answers your question Brother Tourer.

Shadowman1100AceTour

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum