Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DArkside rear for a hack

3 posters

Go down

DArkside rear for a hack Empty DArkside rear for a hack

Post  rmoriss2 Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:10 am

I have a 1997 honda shadow which I Have placed a sidecar on. I want to get a gear reduction by placing a car tire with a low profile on the back because it is a shaft drive. I have a 15" inch tire and have been told that the bead diameters very different from the motorcycle rim to the Auto rim. I have been told that the auto tire bead is much larger and has a real possiblity of slipping off or that the bead can be damaged during installation causing a failure later on. I also need to know whether it's safe to put the C/T on a spoked rim. That means you have to use a tube. Would there be issues using a tube with a car radial?

I run a 170 80 15 motorcycle tire
I hope to run a 155 65 15 car tire to get the gear reduction........any answers?

I am mostly concerned with the rim differences. I have considered getting another rim and having it turned by a machinist to accept the car tire. I wonder if it's worth the cost ( not knowing what that will be right niow )

rmoriss2

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-04-12

Back to top Go down

DArkside rear for a hack Empty Re: DArkside rear for a hack

Post  jedishon Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:18 am

rmoriss2 wrote:I have a 1997 honda shadow which I Have placed a sidecar on. I want to get a gear reduction by placing a car tire with a low profile on the back because it is a shaft drive. I have a 15" inch tire and have been told that the bead diameters very different from the motorcycle rim to the Auto rim. I have been told that the auto tire bead is much larger and has a real possiblity of slipping off or that the bead can be damaged during installation causing a failure later on. I also need to know whether it's safe to put the C/T on a spoked rim. That means you have to use a tube. Would there be issues using a tube with a car radial?

I run a 170 80 15 motorcycle tire
I hope to run a 155 65 15 car tire to get the gear reduction........any answers?

I am mostly concerned with the rim differences. I have considered getting another rim and having it turned by a machinist to accept the car tire. I wonder if it's worth the cost ( not knowing what that will be right niow )

Most of us are running 205/ 65 or 70/15. 70 seat easier because of the narrower bead width. No trouble with a tube but I would go with a 70 that way. You could always seal the rim and go tubeless. If you keep the bead width of the tire 1" or less wider than your rim you should be able to mount it. Never heard of the tire slipping off yet.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  rmoriss2 Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:31 pm

I think you missed the point. The tire you are recommending is higher profile than the one I currently have. I need a smaller diameter that will give me more torque. It will have higher rpms but will allow me to get into 5th gear which is the next higher that will give me more overall torque and still maintain the highway cruising gear at lower rom instead of having to stay in 4th on the highway.I would need a 155 x 65% ( aspect ratio ) to get a height of 100mm. The one you recommended is 205x70%=143mm tire height. Too high

rmoriss2

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:31 pm

Are you wanting lower profile to help the bike pull the sidecar? I would think the 1100 would have plenty ponys to pull it with stock setup. Look at a 205-55 or 45-15 I had the 55 on my scoot and it was geard too low for me. Running a 70 now and loving life.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  rmoriss2 Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:10 am

My bike is a 1997 and has 50 hp at the motor and 42 at the wheel. The sidecar is a hannigan conte and according to the factory weighs 200 lbs.i need a better gear for highway as the stock bike only had a max speed of 160km on it's own. I get it to 110km but it begins to bog and loose speed with a passenger forcing me back to 4th gear. 205 wide will be too wide a profile but The aspect ratio is more to my liking. You have the correct idea though. 190 is the max the honda dealer recommended for clearance.

rmoriss2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down