Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Directional thread, or non-directional thread?

5 posters

Go down

Directional thread, or non-directional thread? Empty Directional thread, or non-directional thread?

Post  leathersmith237 Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:55 am

Howdy ya’ll. I’ve got to say I enjoy this forum more than any of the others that I am a part of, as I really appreciate your input(s). Directional thread, or non-directional thread? Why, or why not. Rest assured that I’m not asking to just get uproar out of somebody over this, I’ve gotten a direction tire now, {a tad too small, diameter wise, and am going to go larger} however, I’m just asking about the differences,of the pros and cons of either.
leathersmith237
leathersmith237

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-07-10

http://www.heathersleathers.com

Back to top Go down

Directional thread, or non-directional thread? Empty Re: Directional thread, or non-directional thread?

Post  Badmoon Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:14 am

I like a directional tread tire for rain disbursement. I get stuck in the rain more than I like too and they look sweet on the bike when it is parked.

I’m curious to see how this thread goes as well.

Peace
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Directional thread, or non-directional thread? Empty Re: Directional thread, or non-directional thread?

Post  xtradark Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:17 am

Hi Leathersmith,
Directional tread tires are designed to work better in wet weather, at high speed Hydroplaning can occur when the car drives through puddles of standing water. If the water cannot squirt out from under the tire quickly enough, the tire will lift off the ground and be supported by only the water. Because the affected tire will have almost no traction, cars can easily go out of control when hydroplaning.
Directional tires are designed to help reduce the possibility of hydroplaning. These tires have deep grooves running in the same direction as the tread, giving the water an extra channel to escape from under the tire. Hope this helps.
Jonno Very Happy
xtradark
xtradark

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post  leathersmith237 Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:56 am

Moon, the only real reason that I am considering the non-directional tire is that I have a Kawasaki Drifter, and with the full skirts, you can almost not see the rear tire. I agree that the directional tires do look better, and the fact about the water and the rain groves, the only thing I see against them is that they do seem to be a bit more on the expensive side. However, how many times a year do you need to buy a C/T for a M/C? I was just wondering what others have to say about non-directional tires. ~Leathersmith~
leathersmith237
leathersmith237

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:14 am

Leathersmith. I was just playin. Guess we need to get to know each other more. I have a big humorous side. I was not meaning to upset you if I did.

Honestly my feeling is this.
You get up to 4 times the life with a CT.
The tires are cheaper that the MT. Even the Directional tires are cheaper cost wise.
Hydroplaning scares the hell outta me.
Why risk it? In my own opinion there is not a choice. Go with a rain tire.

This was said with my serious tone.

Peace and blessings.
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  leathersmith237 Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:33 am

No,No,No I was in no way upset or offended. I took it as you meant it. Being funny. I just wanted to let all of ya'll know, that with a full skirted fender, like the Drifter has, I would consider a non-directional tire, as you could not see it, if there was an overly large amount of people speaking up for them. But, in all likely hood I'm going to go with a directional tire, just like to consider all options. I hate I could get a really nice directional tire and not be able to see it. ~Leathersmith~
leathersmith237
leathersmith237

Back to top Go down

Directional thread, or non-directional thread? Empty re directional thread or nondirectional thread

Post  Larry Simpson Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:53 am

#1 directional for all conditions,haven't found one yet that it doesn't perform well in Very Happy
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:36 am

My first tire was a Douglas X-trac from wallyworld. Got it on sale for $40. $10 to have it mounted at a 1 man shop. I was curious and didn't know if I would like it and being cheap didn't want to be out much if I didn't. Being a winter tire it never hydroed on me. The front tire wobbled on me a couple times but the back kept me straight as an arrow. I am running a Yokahama Avid touring tire now, and it rides smooth as silk on dry roads. I was putting a new exhaust on it when it rained last so I haven't tried the rain yet. What I can say is any ct will handle better in thr rain than a mt IMHO. If you can spend a little extra, Moon said the best made tires are speed rated tires, Thats the way I'll go next time/year.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down