Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A few pics of riding around my backyard on the new bike.

+8
Otis56
Badmoon
twin1300
Roughton
horseman8m
Larry Simpson
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
gstanfield
12 posters

Go down

A few pics of riding around my backyard on the new bike. Empty A few pics of riding around my backyard on the new bike.

Post  gstanfield Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:53 pm

A few pics of riding around my backyard on the new bike. Pathfi10

My favorite pic of the trip, taken from a pull out just below pathfinder dam, now let's get down to the details....

It's not the most exciting ride report, just my day. After spending the morning with my wife and twin daughters I decided to take a little ride out to Independance rock to....ummm...well, ride! Around here we don't have the greatest twisties (or any really) but we do have some fairly scenic vistas. We also have lots and lots of..space. I forgot to take a pic of independance rock, but I did get a far off pic of Devil's gate and several good pics of a couple of canyons and dams around here. All in all I only rode 213 miles round trip, with most of it pavement, but a few miles of dirt and even some two track here and there in the interest of getting a good shot of Freemont canyon. Well, since our roads are booring, here are the pics with descriptions, I'll let them do the talking.

A few pics of riding around my backyard on the new bike. Pathfi11
If you click for full size and look close you will see a rock with a gap in it just to the right of where the road dissapears. That is devils gate, an interesting point on the oregon trail where the sweetwater river flows though a gap in the solid rock mountain.

A few pics of riding around my backyard on the new bike. Pathfi12
This is a pic overlooking Pathfinder resevoir and dam. When it was completed in 1909 it was the largest man made lake in the world, that lasted for about 7 years before someone built bigger and better elsewhere. From here I hiked about 1/4 mile or so through the rocks to the edge of the canyon where I got a better view of the bottom of the dam along with a view of the dirt road that lay ahead.

A few pics of riding around my backyard on the new bike. Pathfi13
Here is the view looking up canyon at the dam.

A few pics of riding around my backyard on the new bike. Pathfi14
And here is the view downstream including the road that lay ahead.

OK, after a few miles of roads that most people would not consider "ideal" for a VFR, I find my next stop, down a little section of two track dirt to an overlook at the upper end of Freemont canyon. It's only a few miles downstream of Pathfinder.

A few pics of riding around my backyard on the new bike. Pathfi15
If you look behind the bike you'll see the beginning of Freemont canyon, named after the soldier who lead his party down this canyon in spring rains, almost killing them all and leaving them without any supplies after their boats were destroyed on the rocks.

A few pics of riding around my backyard on the new bike. Pathfi16
Here is the bridge across the canyon, about halfway though. this bridge has a sad story attached. Several years back some guy kidnapped and raped two young ladies and threw them off this bridge. One of them lived through the ordeal, but had a hard time coping with life. A couple years later she gave up on life and threw herself off the bridge, commiting suicide where her friend, and basically her life had ended just a couple years before. It doesn't look all that high, but the water is almost 300 feet below the bridge. Rock climbers play here all summer long.

A few pics of riding around my backyard on the new bike. Pathfi17
My view from standing at the edge of the road, definately a place you don't want to run off the road!

A few pics of riding around my backyard on the new bike. Pathfi18
After a bit of bad road riding and sweating in the 78 degree heat I decided it was time for a little break in the shade, followed by the best ice cream within 50 miles (also the only ice cream within 50 miles, but still good)

A few pics of riding around my backyard on the new bike. Pathfi19
Well, the key lime pie ice cream was excellent as usual. From here I headed back to the house, tired and hot, but having fun all the while. These are roads I ride all the time, sights I've seen a million times right in my back yard, but still fun and always worth the ride. I hope I didn't bore ya'll with my backyard pictures and simple ride report, but thought I'd sahre my day with those who were stuck in some office somewhere.

Thanks,
George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

A few pics of riding around my backyard on the new bike. Empty Re: A few pics of riding around my backyard on the new bike.

Post  Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005 Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:09 pm

Great pictures George ...Beautiful country Cool
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1642
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

A few pics of riding around my backyard on the new bike. Empty re a few picks riding around my back yard on new bike

Post  Larry Simpson Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:30 pm

Good job George ,beautiful country up there.I have gone through there several times on the way to buffalo but never seen these sights,thanks.
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

A few pics of riding around my backyard on the new bike. Empty Re: A few pics of riding around my backyard on the new bike.

Post  horseman8m Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:30 am

Thanks for posting the pictures George, it's beautiful there .
That dam looks just like the one near Rockland Michigan where I'm from.
It's good to hear from you .
and it wouldn't hurt to have posted a pic of the babies ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, hint hint Very Happy
your friend,
Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Roughton Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:38 am

Nice back yard, nice bike.

Shannon

Roughton

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:53 am

Must be nice...beautiful country! Thanks for the pics!

....................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:23 am

Thanks for sharing. Great views. Nice ride. Nice bike too.
Sure wish I had a back yard like you.
Hope that the girls are good and you dont suffer from estrogen overload. That is what the bike is for, Huh?

Peace
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:33 am

A few pics of riding around my backyard on the new bike. Cma_st10

Here is a pic from our CmA state rally this last weekend. The closest is Lori, she was a little nervous on the hot wheel bikes, but her sister, Livi was having a blast and had to be dragged off of them. It was a fun time had by all. That's about the best pics of the girls that I have on my computer.

Thanks,
George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583

Back to top Go down

Post  Otis56 Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:28 pm

thanks for sharing the pics, beautiful,, pretty little girls too

mark f
Otis56
Otis56

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:09 pm

Thanks for the pics George. Great country there and the girls are really growing.....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:40 pm

Thanks George , they are sooo cute. Smile Smile Smile Smile
and growing fast
Shocked
the next thing you know they will want the bikes to be real ones.
your friend.
Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:07 pm

Excellent! cheers
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604

Back to top Go down

Post  CaribCruiser Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:35 am

Nice pic's george, thx. I always love to see pic's of trips you guys (can) make
there. Pretty jealous for sure about that.
No speed limits over there George?
Nice pic of the young ladies. They're priceless.
Tropical regards,
CaribCruiser
CaribCruiser

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  marine-mp Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:13 am

Nice pics and beautiful family, George. I didn't think there was anything to see in Wyoming!!! I stand corrected. Beautiful. Be safe out there. Semper-fi Mike

marine-mp

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:27 am

Great pics! Makes me want to change the oil and gas up the wing. Thanks for sharing. The girls are being brought up right. Get em on a bike early Wink
Dino

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down