Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Older than dirt

+4
Badmoon
Larry Simpson
horseman8m
jedishon
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Older than dirt Empty Older than dirt

Post  jedishon Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:26 am

'Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?'

'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him. 'All the food was slow.'

'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'

'It was a place called 'at home,'' I explained. !

'Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it :

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis , set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card. In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears & Roebuck. Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow). We didn't have a television in our house until I was 5. It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God; it came back on the air at about 6 a.m. and there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people.

I was 13 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called 'pizza pie.' When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swu ng down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.

We didn't have a car until I was 4. It was an old black Dodge.

I never had a telephone in my room.

The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers --my brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which he got to keep 2 cents. He had to get up at 6AM every morning. On Saturday, he had to collect the 42 cents from his customers. His favorite customers were the ones who gave him 50 cents and told him to keep the change. His least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend :

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.
Real ice boxes.
Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz :

Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about

Ratings at the bottom.

1 Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes
6 . Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines on the telephone
8. Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11 TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels [if you were fortunate])
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15. S& H greenstamps
16 Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18 Mimeograph paper
19 Blue flashbulb
20 Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

I might be older than dirt but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Older than dirt Empty Re: Older than dirt

Post  horseman8m Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:01 pm

I remember all except #10, is it like canning wax, my mom used to make jelly and preserves then cover the tops with wax.
here is another one , when I was a young man (OK 14) I had to hitch up the draft horses to a large sled and drive around the woods and collect the maple sap from the buckets empty them into the barrels on the sled and rehang the buckets on the tree.
Then back in the barn i had to pump the sap into the boiler to make maple syrup . Then unhitch the horses and feed groom them.
That's 10 gallons of sap boiled down to make 1 gal of syrup. and that was before school, in the snow but it was only in February and March. the rest of the year was logging drags with the horses.
Yes I am not just an old fart but grew up in Upper Michigan.

Last edited by horseman8m on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Older than dirt Empty re older than dirt

Post  Larry Simpson Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:54 pm

Thanks guys,I needed that,I remembered all but no.18 and I think I had heard of it.My horse drawn sled was used to pick up rocks off the fields before we plowed tobacco rowes.Sure miss those days,People we have in control today don't have a clue what life is about.A community orginizer would have been run out of the hills,if he was lucky Twisted Evil Twisted Evil ps Horseman8m butch wax is the red sented wax we used in our hair to make our flat tops stand up

Last edited by Larry Simpson on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:58 pm

6 I did not remember.
Damn............

Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:14 am

#10 is what today would be called a styling jel. used to keep the flat top shaped and sharp looking.

I dont remember #6 either but I do remember getting up and milking the damned cow. Then sitting there after dinner with a quart mason jar and shaking and shaking to make butter. butter never tasted right til the salt was added.

Our kids today are so deprived, they will never know the smell of mimeogragh paper.

they all think, my wife included, that a meal should be ready in just a few minutes. To me if it can be done in less than an hour its not food, it's just an early turd. But thats me and my old fashioned way of thinking.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Cassie Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:29 pm

now I just could not resist baby, I just want to clarify that I dont think it has to be done in a few minutes, however in this day and age there is not enough time in the day for it not to be fast, back in the good ole days most moms stayed home and dads went off to work, so mom had plenty of time on her hands to cook 3 hot meals a day, Now these days and in these hard economic times moms have to work also. i work 8 to 12 hours a day, still have to come home clean, do laundry try and find time to cook and of course fit in football practice, cheerleading practice, doctors appts dentist appts, oh and then when school starts we not only have practices but now games are starting so I religously sit in the sidelines watching kids play football and cheerleading. Not to mention the motorcross days. so do I like meals prepared in less than an hour, not particularly but good luck squeezing that one in.
Cassie
Cassie
crazy person

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Simpson Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:05 pm

Busted!!! huh Smokey Razz Razz Razz
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:55 pm

Larry Simpson wrote:Busted!!! huh Smokey Razz Razz Razz

Naaah, not busted. She knows what I expect Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Laughing cheers Awww hell now I stirred the hornets nest. I have learned that life is a wee bit more interesting with the nest stirred up affraid cheers Laughing Laughing Laughing Now where is my couch pillow.

See yall out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:41 am

Cassie wrote:now I just could not resist baby, I just want to clarify that I dont think it has to be done in a few minutes, however in this day and age there is not enough time in the day for it not to be fast, back in the good ole days most moms stayed home and dads went off to work, so mom had plenty of time on her hands to cook 3 hot meals a day, Now these days and in these hard economic times moms have to work also. i work 8 to 12 hours a day, still have to come home clean, do laundry try and find time to cook and of course fit in football practice, cheerleading practice, doctors appts dentist appts, oh and then when school starts we not only have practices but now games are starting so I religously sit in the sidelines watching kids play football and cheerleading. Not to mention the motorcross days. so do I like meals prepared in less than an hour, not particularly but good luck squeezing that one in.

Dang girl. No wonder your never on line any more. I think Smokey would be kind of cute in an apron..... Maybe he could do some cooking........

jmwys
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  Cassie Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:02 pm

smokey2255 wrote:
Larry Simpson wrote:Busted!!! huh Smokey Razz Razz Razz

Naaah, not busted. She knows what I expect Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Laughing cheers Awww hell now I stirred the hornets nest. I have learned that life is a wee bit more interesting with the nest stirred up affraid cheers Laughing Laughing Laughing Now where is my couch pillow.

See yall out there
Smokey

oh you silly silly man, have you not learned by now the difference betweeen what you expect and what your actually gonna get?? I expect to be put on a pedestal, but instead Im under that sucker cleaning up the mess from everyone else that gets put on top of it... I will find that pillow now for ya Very Happy
Cassie
Cassie
crazy person

Back to top Go down

Post  Cassie Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:03 pm

jedishon wrote:
Cassie wrote:now I just could not resist baby, I just want to clarify that I dont think it has to be done in a few minutes, however in this day and age there is not enough time in the day for it not to be fast, back in the good ole days most moms stayed home and dads went off to work, so mom had plenty of time on her hands to cook 3 hot meals a day, Now these days and in these hard economic times moms have to work also. i work 8 to 12 hours a day, still have to come home clean, do laundry try and find time to cook and of course fit in football practice, cheerleading practice, doctors appts dentist appts, oh and then when school starts we not only have practices but now games are starting so I religously sit in the sidelines watching kids play football and cheerleading. Not to mention the motorcross days. so do I like meals prepared in less than an hour, not particularly but good luck squeezing that one in.

Dang girl. No wonder your never on line any more. I think Smokey would be kind of cute in an apron..... Maybe he could do some cooking........

Oh Uncle Jerr, its good to be back, honestly got my feelings hurt a little but decided to put my big girl panties on and suck it up!!! he does look awful cute in an apron though

jmwys
Cassie
Cassie
crazy person

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:09 pm

I'm glad your back.....Hope i wasn't the that caused you any pain......If so I didn't mean it, honestly.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  Cassie Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:12 pm

jedishon wrote:I'm glad your back.....Hope i wasn't the that caused you any pain......If so I didn't mean it, honestly.

Jerry

no not you at all, its all water under the bridge anyway. promise its all good
Cassie
Cassie
crazy person

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:49 pm

Glad you are back Cassie
horseman8m
horseman8m

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:03 am

Now fellas, why are yall so quick to jump on her band wagon? Yall just egg her on and give her a big head. Then poor pitiful me .... I have to live with her. Yall just aint right Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Simpson Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:30 pm

Smokey, don't worry ,if you can't find an apron I will loan you one of mine and after 40 years I can give time saving tips on the house work too.You won't have to look for that pillow near as often. Razz Razz Razz
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:12 pm

smokey2255 wrote:Now fellas, why are yall so quick to jump on her band wagon? Yall just egg her on and give her a big head. Then poor pitiful me .... I have to live with her. Yall just aint right Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

See you out there
Smokey

we haven't seen her in a wile and besides her legs are better looking. cheers
horseman8m
horseman8m

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:10 pm

Larry Simpson wrote:Smokey, don't worry ,if you can't find an apron I will loan you one of mine and after 40 years I can give time saving tips on the house work too.You won't have to look for that pillow near as often. Razz Razz Razz

Larry, actually I do have an apron, I only wear it as analternative to cooking bacon naked Shocked Mad Laughing The house chores are definately womens work though. I will cook but the mess and I mean mess belong to the rest of them :bball:

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:12 pm

[quote="horseman8mwe haven't seen her in a wile and besides her legs are better looking. cheers[/quote]

Actually Jonathon my legs have better tone Laughing

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cassie Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:51 pm

smokey2255 wrote:[quote="horseman8mwe haven't seen her in a wile and besides her legs are better looking.

Actually Jonathon my legs have better tone Laughing

See you out there
Smokey[/quote]

Well at least I dont have to lift my belly to see my legs Shocked
Cassie
Cassie
crazy person

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:53 pm

Cassie wrote:
Well at least I dont have to lift my belly to see my legs Shocked

Tru dat, but I do have mirrors and know how to use em
See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:47 pm

ouch affraid

And the fight continues ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
horseman8m
horseman8m

Back to top Go down

Post  fox9988 Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:12 pm

I remember 10 out of 25.That means I JUST stayed out of the (Don't tell your age) slot Very Happy Maybe I will get IDed(eye deed?)again soon? drunken

fox9988

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Tanglefoot Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:38 am

Okay folks I remember all 25. I am older than dirt but I'm still in good shape for the shape I'm in. I know how Smokey got his monicker. He seems to always to start a fire at home then he tries to put the fire out leaving a lot of smoke floating around the house. This thread began as how many do you remember and it looks like it is ending with AND THEN THE FIGHT BEGAN. Cassie you know everyone is on your side.
Tanglefoot
Tanglefoot
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:44 am

smokey2255 wrote:Now fellas, why are yall so quick to jump on her band wagon? Yall just egg her on and give her a big head. Then poor pitiful me .... I have to live with her. Yall just aint right Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

See you out there
Smokey

Smokey as my brother I know you can take care of yourself, so my natural instinct to protect my sister comes through. That and she is prettier than you are.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down