Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Add me to the Darkside/Wideside Membership List

+2
NeonLeon
jconrad2
6 posters

Go down

Add me to the Darkside/Wideside Membership List Empty Add me to the Darkside/Wideside Membership List

Post  jconrad2 Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:20 pm

Well we finished up today. Installed a Goodyear Tripple Tread 205/70/15 on my VTX1300C. Wow that is one good looking tire. Here are some before and after pics

Add me to the Darkside/Wideside Membership List B4BACK
Add me to the Darkside/Wideside Membership List AFTERBACK
Add me to the Darkside/Wideside Membership List B4SIDE
Add me to the Darkside/Wideside Membership List AFTERSIDE

Over all the install was not too difficult until it came to mounting the GYTT onto my rim. We got the first bead on with some serious effort, but that second bead would not go. We tried for 4 hours and had 3 people pushing and pulling.

After nicking my rim twice and some foul words slipping out too many times, I decided to try again to find someone local to mount the tire. Ended up finding these guys at Extreme Performance (Sport Bike supe-up-shop). They got the first bead to seat at 90psi but the second wouldn't fully seat. Took the tire home and let it sit in the sun for a bit. Then hit it with Furniture polish (saw it on the web), gave her about 60psi and she seated cheers

Took the bike for a spin around the block at 40psi. Felt the subtle handling differneces that have been spoken about here. Tad more effort to initiate the turn. Can feel the tire comming off the flat, not a bad feeling just different. Came home and dropped the pressure to about 36psi. Went for a longer test ride (about 15 miles) with wife following on her bike.

Overall I really like the ride. Took some sweeping turns, bike was solid. No problems taking off from stop turning onto lane. Got the bike up to indicated 70, no wobbles or quirks noticed. I was suprised since the tire is not balanced yet, still waiting on my Dynabeads to show up. Hope to put more miles on tomorrow.

Looking forward to the continued improvement as the tire breaks in. Love the tread, very wicked looking. Really Really fills out the rear fender.

Thanks for all the personall help you all have offered plus all of the great information here.

Jeff
jconrad2
jconrad2

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-06-14

Back to top Go down

Add me to the Darkside/Wideside Membership List Empty Re: Add me to the Darkside/Wideside Membership List

Post  NeonLeon Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:12 pm

Congrats and good choice in tire. I have a GYTT on mine and all I can tell you is the more you ride it the more you will like it.
NeonLeon
NeonLeon

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2008-02-27

Back to top Go down

Add me to the Darkside/Wideside Membership List Empty Re: Add me to the Darkside/Wideside Membership List

Post  horseman8m Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:07 am

man that tire looks good Jeff. welcome to the Darkside cheers cheers
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:11 pm

furniture polish? do tell.....

oh, nice tire!
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:16 pm

jconrad2,

You are up on the list.....Congrats!
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  jconrad2 Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:56 pm

Steve-O wrote:furniture polish? do tell.....

oh, nice tire!

I watched a ton of videos on mounting M/C tires on rims and several of them used Furniture polish. It's slickeryer (word) than a general soapy water solution. Plus after spraying it on you can be fairly liberal and spread it around with your fingers on the tire and rim and not wory about excess soapy water getting into the tire and messing with the Dynabeads later.
jconrad2
jconrad2

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:11 pm

So what kind of furniture polish are you referring to? Would my trusty lemon pledge work, or something a bit more hardcore?
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  jconrad2 Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:34 am

ttexastim wrote:So what kind of furniture polish are you referring to? Would my trusty lemon pledge work, or something a bit more hardcore?

Pledge or equal. The wife buys a knock off brand at WallyWorld. Kinda makes sense, if you go to NoMar's (great tire changer) site, they sell a lube that looks like a waxy paste in a tub. Since I am not in the tire changing business and will only change a couple tires a year tops, I'll stick with the furniture polish, since I already have it Very Happy
jconrad2
jconrad2

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:08 pm

Awesome to hear! I'll give it a try next weekend when I put on the Douglas 205. Smile
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Add me to the Darkside/Wideside Membership List Empty UPDATE

Post  jconrad2 Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:45 am

The weather turned for the better yesterday and enable the wife and I to go for a little 150 mile trip over to Metemora Indianna. Beautiful country.

Anyway, my Dynabeads showed up Thursday night so I installed them yesterday morning before the trip. Took the GYTT up to 39psi, previous/original 50 miles was at 36psi.

WOW, those beads are freakin AWSOME. The bike is smooth as glass now. Really liking the way the bike rides and handles. Our path took us through a few fun S curves. I don't know if it is real or psyhcological (sp??) but it feels like I can take a tighter line and lean the bike more aggressively. Anyway real or not the fun factor has gone up a few more notches. Also noticed that I do not have the Sonic Vibration wall to go through. On my stock setup around 70 indicated the bike was vibrating fairly strong, then once at 75 or above she would settle in to a comfort zone. Now the bike is smooth 50 to 90. I did notice a slight side to side wobble at 90 but this was while passing 2 trucks pulling campers. I think it was more the wind buffeting comming off the campers than anything else. I cruised indicated 80 several times and the bike was solid.

My biggest and most pleasant surprise with this tire is GRAVEL. I HATE GRAVEL!!!. There was gravel in a few of the turns and intersections on our trip. Never felt a thing, nothing at all. On my OEM tire, even if I did not slip, I still felt the gravel under the wheel, this new tire just ignores it. I am assuming it is due to the increase in contact area. I will still keep a whatchful eye out for gravel, but it is an assuring feeling knowing this new tire handles it so well.

Jeff
jconrad2
jconrad2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down